Vegas error message

I downloaded an excellent 'rotating globe' off the NASA web site that is
in the .mpg format.

When I try to load it into vegas 4, I get an error message 'The file
format plugin for the specified format plug in was not properly initialized'

Can someone shed some light on this error message please and if there is
something in Vegas that needs to be set to correctly load the file?

Jackie
7 answers Last reply
More about vegas error message

    Jackie wrote:
    > I downloaded an excellent 'rotating globe' off the NASA web site that
    > is
    > in the .mpg format.
    >
    > When I try to load it into vegas 4, I get an error message 'The file
    > format plugin for the specified format plug in was not properly
    > initialized'
    >
    > Can someone shed some light on this error message please and if there
    > is something in Vegas that needs to be set to correctly load the file?
    >
    > Jackie

    Jackie, I just tried it (Web resolution version) and got the same message.
    It must be some new MPEG codec as nothing I have can identify it.
    My workaround was to load it into TMPGEnc (File > MPEG Tools > Merge & Cut >
    Add) and re-save it under a different name. Worked just fine after that.
    File size remained the same.
    BTW, VirtualDub will also load it. Then you can re-save it using whatever
    codec you want. The file size may increase substantially though depending
    on your choice of codec.
    HTH.

    Mike

    Thanks Mike

    Most appreciated for this info!

    Jackie

    Mike Kujbida wrote:
    > Jackie wrote:
    >
    >>I downloaded an excellent 'rotating globe' off the NASA web site that
    >>is
    >>in the .mpg format.
    >>
    >>When I try to load it into vegas 4, I get an error message 'The file
    >>format plugin for the specified format plug in was not properly
    >>initialized'
    >>
    >>Can someone shed some light on this error message please and if there
    >>is something in Vegas that needs to be set to correctly load the file?
    >>
    >>Jackie
    >

    > Jackie, I just tried it (Web resolution version) and got the same message.
    > It must be some new MPEG codec as nothing I have can identify it.
    > My workaround was to load it into TMPGEnc (File > MPEG Tools > Merge & Cut >
    > Add) and re-save it under a different name. Worked just fine after that.
    > File size remained the same.
    > BTW, VirtualDub will also load it. Then you can re-save it using whatever
    > codec you want. The file size may increase substantially though depending
    > on your choice of codec.
    > HTH.
    >
    > Mike

    Mike,

    Which CODEC should I use for Vegas?

    Jackie

    Jackie wrote:
    > Mike,
    >
    > Which CODEC should I use for Vegas?
    >
    > Jackie

    Jackie, if you're talking about saving it from TMPGEnc, I just used the
    default setting. You don't get any options here but it seems to be OK.
    After you load it in (as per method below), I just selected "Browse" on that
    same screen and made a new file name. It does it using the default MPEG-1
    settings, whatever they are and you don't have any option to modify them. I
    think it still looks OK though.
    From VirtualDub, you're only limited by your codec choice. I tried it using
    the HuffyUV codec and the file went from 1.8 MB to18.6 MB :-(

    Mike

    Jackie <noreply@bigpond.com> writes:

    >Which CODEC should I use for Vegas?

    >Jackie

    Hi

    using TMPGEnc and MPEG-Utilities -> Merge & Cut
    should be the best thing. This only re-muxes the file,
    i.e. it breaks it up in its streams (video / audio / padding streams)
    and muxes (=multiplexes) it again. It does not re-encode it or
    change the contents otherwise, whereas VirtualDub does a new encode
    using the AVI-codec you select under Video-Compression (menu name
    from memory, might be slightly wrong).

    The original files are probably muxed improperly. If you can read
    the new file output by TMPGEnc you're done.

    regards,
    Andreas

    PS: Let me guess: If VirtualDub can read it, it's an MPEG-1 file.
    VirtualDub cannot handle MPEG-2 directly.

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 22:52:56 -0400, Mike Kujbida wrote
    (in message <c6n6aa$dd282$1@ID-113661.news.uni-berlin.de>):

    > Jackie wrote:
    >> I downloaded an excellent 'rotating globe' off the NASA web site that
    >> is
    >> in the .mpg format.
    >>
    >> When I try to load it into vegas 4, I get an error message 'The file
    >> format plugin for the specified format plug in was not properly
    >> initialized'
    >>
    >> Can someone shed some light on this error message please and if there
    >> is something in Vegas that needs to be set to correctly load the file?
    >>
    >> Jackie
    >

    > Jackie, I just tried it (Web resolution version) and got the same message.
    > It must be some new MPEG codec as nothing I have can identify it.
    > My workaround was to load it into TMPGEnc (File > MPEG Tools > Merge & Cut >
    > Add) and re-save it under a different name. Worked just fine after that.
    > File size remained the same.
    > BTW, VirtualDub will also load it. Then you can re-save it using whatever
    > codec you want. The file size may increase substantially though depending
    > on your choice of codec.
    > HTH.
    >
    > Mike

    Maybe readable in QT 6.X?

    Ty Ford

    Ty Ford wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 22:52:56 -0400, Mike Kujbida wrote
    > (in message <c6n6aa$dd282$1@ID-113661.news.uni-berlin.de>):
    >
    >> Jackie wrote:
    >>> I downloaded an excellent 'rotating globe' off the NASA web site
    >>> that is
    >>> in the .mpg format.
    >>>
    >>> When I try to load it into vegas 4, I get an error message 'The file
    >>> format plugin for the specified format plug in was not properly
    >>> initialized'
    >>>
    >>> Can someone shed some light on this error message please and if
    >>> there is something in Vegas that needs to be set to correctly load
    >>> the file?
    >>>
    >>> Jackie
    >>

    >> Jackie, I just tried it (Web resolution version) and got the same
    >> message. It must be some new MPEG codec as nothing I have can
    >> identify it.
    >> My workaround was to load it into TMPGEnc (File > MPEG Tools > Merge
    >> & Cut > Add) and re-save it under a different name. Worked just
    >> fine after that. File size remained the same.
    >> BTW, VirtualDub will also load it. Then you can re-save it using
    >> whatever codec you want. The file size may increase substantially
    >> though depending on your choice of codec.
    >> HTH.
    >>
    >> Mike
    >>

    > Maybe readable in QT 6.X?
    >
    > Ty Ford

    It plays in QT 6.4 as well as MediaPlayer. The problem is that, for some
    reason, Vegas doesn't recognize it as a valid MPEG-1 file :-(

    Mike

Tuner Cards Error Message Format Graphics