mac g5 and a usb2.0 external hard drive

i am trying to do some video editing on a mac g5 workstation with
final cut pro.
i have usb2.0 160gb external hard drive with my avi video on it and i
would like to keep the raw footage on this hard drive while editing on
the mac workstation.

when i use the hard drive on my pc through the usb2 interface it is
able to play the video off the external hard drive at full rate and
does not stutter. on the mac it appears to be recieving data very
slowly and the video freezes and stutters and stops. it seems like
the mac is seeing the hard drive as a usb1.1 due to the slow transfer
rate.

my question is...how do i maximize the data transfer rate of my hard
drive to the mac (should be 480mb/s) and is there any way to check to
see that my hard drive is being recognized as a high speed usb device?

The USB2.0 Spec is certainly 480megabits/sec. But that does not mean that
any USB2.0 host and OS will always transfer at that rate. However, I think
it is interesting that a new G5 would have problems doing this. My personal
feelings about macs aside..

On the other hand, I am not aware of anyone else using a USB drive to work
with video. I am assuming you are talking about DV.

On the PC is the USB drive the ONLY USB device? You do have the KBD and
Mouse as USB devices on the mac....