Digital Video Capture via Firewire - Byte Errors!

I have got the following equipment:

digital video camcorder (Sony, DCR-PC120E),
1.8m Firewire cabel,
mainbord with Firewire onboard (Gigabyte, GA-7NNXP),
Windows XP Professional with latest updates and device drivers,
Sony Vegas Video 4.0e.

If I capture the video twice and do a binary compare of the two files,
I got some byte differences. These differences are randomly
distributed over the file and are in the order of 0.1% of the
filesize.

Any suggestions how to guarantee an error free video capture?

Frank

Frank Giebeler wrote:
> I have got the following equipment:
>
> digital video camcorder (Sony, DCR-PC120E),
> 1.8m Firewire cabel,
> mainbord with Firewire onboard (Gigabyte, GA-7NNXP),
> Windows XP Professional with latest updates and device drivers,
> Sony Vegas Video 4.0e.
>
> If I capture the video twice and do a binary compare of the two files,
> I got some byte differences. These differences are randomly
> distributed over the file and are in the order of 0.1% of the
> filesize.
>
> Any suggestions how to guarantee an error free video capture?
>
> Frank
Frank!

I would like to repeat the same experiment here...
What software do you use to compare the files?

Are there any *visible* differences (on the decompressed frames)?

Johan Stäck
Skellefteå
Sweden

> Frank!
>
> I would like to repeat the same experiment here...
> What software do you use to compare the files?
>
> Are there any *visible* differences (on the decompressed frames)?
>
> Johan Stäck
> Skellefteå
> Sweden

Johan,

I used windiff to compare the files. Also fc with binary compare shows
the differences.

By the way. I got no dropped frames!

Wether there are any visible differences or not doesn't matter because
digital capture should make a 1:1 copy of the tape. And it takes to
much time to compare the files frame by frame.

Frank

But which data is different? Is it pixel data, frame data? Sync data? Make
sure first it is not error correction of some sort.

I have never done a binary compare of two of the same captures. That's an
interesting test.

I would also try it with a plug-in Firewire card rather than the one on the
motherboard.