Canon S1 IS Auot Focus Problems

Can anyone help, the S1 IS seems to have problems auto-focusing at the long
end of the zoom. Is there anything that can be done? My firmware is 1.0.2.0,
the latest. How can they sell a camera with such a problem like this?
4 answers Last reply
More about canon auot focus problems

    Stewart wrote:
    > Can anyone help, the S1 IS seems to have problems auto-focusing at
    > the long end of the zoom. Is there anything that can be done? My
    > firmware is 1.0.2.0, the latest. How can they sell a camera with such
    > a problem like this?

    It must be bad camera, so my advice is take it back. I have it from first
    firmware and i never did have any problems with focusing, only with first
    firmware camera did have problems with focusing at low light, especially
    indoors. This has been fixed in next firmware so now it's perfect.
    But, when you focus, do you look for vertical lines in centre square?
    Autofocus can only work if any (more or less)vertical lines are there.

    "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
    > Stewart wrote:
    > > Can anyone help, the S1 IS seems to have problems auto-focusing at
    > > the long end of the zoom. Is there anything that can be done? My
    > > firmware is 1.0.2.0, the latest. How can they sell a camera with such
    > > a problem like this?
    >
    >> But, when you focus, do you look for vertical lines in centre square?
    > Autofocus can only work if any (more or less)vertical lines are there.

    Thanks for the advice, I just got the thing. I guess maybe what
    i was refering to was macro photography (is that the correct term?) .
    When I use the zoom to close in on a object it does not focus.

    Do you find the 3.2 megapixels enough?

    Stewart wrote:
    > "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
    >> Stewart wrote:
    >>> Can anyone help, the S1 IS seems to have problems auto-focusing at
    >>> the long end of the zoom. Is there anything that can be done? My
    >>> firmware is 1.0.2.0, the latest. How can they sell a camera with
    >>> such a problem like this?
    >>
    >>> But, when you focus, do you look for vertical lines in centre
    >>> square?
    >> Autofocus can only work if any (more or less)vertical lines are
    >> there.
    >
    > Thanks for the advice, I just got the thing. I guess maybe what
    > i was refering to was macro photography (is that the correct term?) .
    > When I use the zoom to close in on a object it does not focus.
    >
    > Do you find the 3.2 megapixels enough?

    Aha...you should note that with wide zoom( min), min distance is appr.3cm,
    while this distance increases when you increase zoom and with max zoom this
    distance is appr 1,2 m - i think it's explained this somewhere in the
    manual.
    3.2 M is quite enough. More pixels just means bigger cards to be used and if
    you don't intend to print laaaarge pictures, it's quite useless. 3.2 is
    quite enough for pics up to A4 format. And all manual settings in S1 - it's
    just all i need right now. In short, i'm really happy with it.

    > Stewart wrote:
    > > "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message

    > >> Autofocus can only work if any (more or less)vertical lines are
    > >> there.
    > >
    > > Thanks for the advice, I just got the thing. I guess maybe what
    > > i was refering to was macro photography (is that the correct term?) .
    > > When I use the zoom to close in on a object it does not focus.
    > >
    > > Do you find the 3.2 megapixels enough?
    >
    > Aha...you should note that with wide zoom( min), min distance is appr.3cm,
    > while this distance increases when you increase zoom and with max zoom
    this
    > distance is appr 1,2 m - i think it's explained this somewhere in the
    > manual.
    > 3.2 M is quite enough. More pixels just means bigger cards to be used and
    if
    > you don't intend to print laaaarge pictures, it's quite useless. 3.2 is
    > quite enough for pics up to A4 format. And all manual settings in S1 -
    it's
    > just all i need right now. In short, i'm really happy with it.

    Thanks, finding the camera to be well worth the purchase.

Cameras Canon Peripherals