Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Canon S1 IS Auot Focus Problems

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
November 10, 2004 10:25:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

Can anyone help, the S1 IS seems to have problems auto-focusing at the long
end of the zoom. Is there anything that can be done? My firmware is 1.0.2.0,
the latest. How can they sell a camera with such a problem like this?
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 8:02:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

Stewart wrote:
> Can anyone help, the S1 IS seems to have problems auto-focusing at
> the long end of the zoom. Is there anything that can be done? My
> firmware is 1.0.2.0, the latest. How can they sell a camera with such
> a problem like this?

It must be bad camera, so my advice is take it back. I have it from first
firmware and i never did have any problems with focusing, only with first
firmware camera did have problems with focusing at low light, especially
indoors. This has been fixed in next firmware so now it's perfect.
But, when you focus, do you look for vertical lines in centre square?
Autofocus can only work if any (more or less)vertical lines are there.
November 11, 2004 9:06:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
news:LYqkd.5469$F6.1281749@news.siol.net...
> Stewart wrote:
> > Can anyone help, the S1 IS seems to have problems auto-focusing at
> > the long end of the zoom. Is there anything that can be done? My
> > firmware is 1.0.2.0, the latest. How can they sell a camera with such
> > a problem like this?
>
>> But, when you focus, do you look for vertical lines in centre square?
> Autofocus can only work if any (more or less)vertical lines are there.

Thanks for the advice, I just got the thing. I guess maybe what
i was refering to was macro photography (is that the correct term?) .
When I use the zoom to close in on a object it does not focus.

Do you find the 3.2 megapixels enough?
Related resources
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 9:06:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

Stewart wrote:
> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
> news:LYqkd.5469$F6.1281749@news.siol.net...
>> Stewart wrote:
>>> Can anyone help, the S1 IS seems to have problems auto-focusing at
>>> the long end of the zoom. Is there anything that can be done? My
>>> firmware is 1.0.2.0, the latest. How can they sell a camera with
>>> such a problem like this?
>>
>>> But, when you focus, do you look for vertical lines in centre
>>> square?
>> Autofocus can only work if any (more or less)vertical lines are
>> there.
>
> Thanks for the advice, I just got the thing. I guess maybe what
> i was refering to was macro photography (is that the correct term?) .
> When I use the zoom to close in on a object it does not focus.
>
> Do you find the 3.2 megapixels enough?

Aha...you should note that with wide zoom( min), min distance is appr.3cm,
while this distance increases when you increase zoom and with max zoom this
distance is appr 1,2 m - i think it's explained this somewhere in the
manual.
3.2 M is quite enough. More pixels just means bigger cards to be used and if
you don't intend to print laaaarge pictures, it's quite useless. 3.2 is
quite enough for pics up to A4 format. And all manual settings in S1 - it's
just all i need right now. In short, i'm really happy with it.
November 15, 2004 3:24:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
news:SnMkd.5509$F6.1281891@news.siol.net...
> Stewart wrote:
> > "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
> > news:LYqkd.5469$F6.1281749@news.siol.net...
> >> Stewart wrote:
> >>> Can anyone help, the S1 IS seems to have problems auto-focusing at
> >>> the long end of the zoom. Is there anything that can be done? My
> >>> firmware is 1.0.2.0, the latest. How can they sell a camera with
> >>> such a problem like this?
> >>
> >>> But, when you focus, do you look for vertical lines in centre
> >>> square?
> >> Autofocus can only work if any (more or less)vertical lines are
> >> there.
> >
> > Thanks for the advice, I just got the thing. I guess maybe what
> > i was refering to was macro photography (is that the correct term?) .
> > When I use the zoom to close in on a object it does not focus.
> >
> > Do you find the 3.2 megapixels enough?
>
> Aha...you should note that with wide zoom( min), min distance is appr.3cm,
> while this distance increases when you increase zoom and with max zoom
this
> distance is appr 1,2 m - i think it's explained this somewhere in the
> manual.
> 3.2 M is quite enough. More pixels just means bigger cards to be used and
if
> you don't intend to print laaaarge pictures, it's quite useless. 3.2 is
> quite enough for pics up to A4 format. And all manual settings in S1 -
it's
> just all i need right now. In short, i'm really happy with it.
>
>

Thanks, finding the camera to be well worth the purchase.
!