Shawn

This is kind of off topic since it's about playback, but maybe some of
you know something: when I play any .avi or .mpg clip in Windows (raw,
xvid, divx, mpeg1, etc), I get a weird artifact on the upper left
portion of the screen. It's sort of a green-colored line that runs 1/5
across horizontally, and about 10, 20 pixels high. It seems to be a
codec problem since it's in all clips. Any ideas, other than
reinstalling Windows?

"Shawn" wrote ...
> This is kind of off topic since it's about playback, but maybe some of
> you know something: when I play any .avi or .mpg clip in Windows (raw,
> xvid, divx, mpeg1, etc), I get a weird artifact on the upper left
> portion of the screen. It's sort of a green-colored line that runs 1/5
> across horizontally, and about 10, 20 pixels high. It seems to be a
> codec problem since it's in all clips. Any ideas, other than
> reinstalling Windows?

It might help to reveal what application you are using to
play the files. Do you have access to alternative player
apps?

Shawn

Richard Crowley wrote:

> It might help to reveal what application you are using to
> play the files. Do you have access to alternative player
> apps?

It seems to be just Windows Media Player 9, in XP, and only for video clips
(DVDs play ok in WMP). At some point this problem developed. I've tried
another player, Winamp, and it's ok. I also noticed that when more than one
video is playing, say I open a clip in WMP while using the PVR software for
the TV card, the colors in the WMP clip get very washed out until I close
them both and restart WMP.

"Shawn" <no@spam.com> wrote in message news:4090939C.91CEA844@spam.com...
> Richard Crowley wrote:
>
> > It might help to reveal what application you are using to
> > play the files. Do you have access to alternative player
> > apps?
>
> It seems to be just Windows Media Player 9, in XP, and only for video
clips
> (DVDs play ok in WMP). At some point this problem developed. I've tried
> another player, Winamp, and it's ok. I also noticed that when more than
one
> video is playing, say I open a clip in WMP while using the PVR software
for
> the TV card, the colors in the WMP clip get very washed out until I close
> them both and restart WMP.

Make sure you are running your video display at 16 or 32 bit colour.

Sanman

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 05:32:21 GMT, Shawn <no@spam.com> wrote:

>It seems to be just Windows Media Player 9, in XP, and only for video clips
>(DVDs play ok in WMP).

Do you have ffdshow, 3ivx... ? These try to decode a lot of things
-and can therefore screw them all.

Shawn

Bariloche wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 05:32:21 GMT, Shawn <no@spam.com> wrote:
>
> >It seems to be just Windows Media Player 9, in XP, and only for video clips
> >(DVDs play ok in WMP).
>
> Do you have ffdshow

Brilliant! Thank you, I knew someone here ought to know it...

Shawn