Low quality with interlaced video, help

alex

Hi!

I have a JVC DVL510 camcorder. I transfer video to the PC via
firewire, edit it with Adobe Premiere, encode it with DivX, and burn
into a CD for viewing in a PC full-screen. I have found that the
footage produced has only 240 horizontal lines (even though Premiere
outputs 480 lines), because the video is interlaced and the
deinterlacing process discards one of the fields and doubles the lines
of the remaining field. I don't think I can record in progressive scan
to get 30 frames of non-interlaced 480 horizontal lines per second.
The final quality is terrible. Of course if I don't deinterlace I get
the usual jagged lines when things move, which is worse.

I have researched this issue for a while to no avail... My last hope
is to ask the experts!

What can I do to achieve better video quality? Is there any way to
rescue that discarded field and use it to enhance the image?

Any help will be much appreciated!

> I have a JVC DVL510 camcorder. I transfer video to the PC via
> firewire, edit it with Adobe Premiere, encode it with DivX, and burn
> into a CD for viewing in a PC full-screen. I have found that the
> footage produced has only 240 horizontal lines (even though Premiere
> outputs 480 lines), because the video is interlaced and the
> deinterlacing process discards one of the fields and doubles the lines
> of the remaining field. I don't think I can record in progressive scan
> to get 30 frames of non-interlaced 480 horizontal lines per second.
> The final quality is terrible. Of course if I don't deinterlace I get
> the usual jagged lines when things move, which is worse.
>
> I have researched this issue for a while to no avail... My last hope
> is to ask the experts!
>
> What can I do to achieve better video quality? Is there any way to
> rescue that discarded field and use it to enhance the image?
>
> Any help will be much appreciated!

I assume you captured at 480 vertical to begin with? You don't want Premiere
to deinterlace. Output the raw interlaced video from Premiere, or better
yet, use a better program to capture with in the first place, and
deinterlace with VirtualDub or AviSynth. It is essential to have both fields
to get a proper quality encode.

alex

Thanks!!! I am now using VirtualDUB with Donald Graft's Smart
Deinterlace filter and Steven Don's Dynamic Noise Reduction filter.
The quality improvement is impressive!

One doubt remains, though: I print the movie to DV for archiving (I
don't trust the longevity of CDs)... How is the DV storing this
progressive-scan stream? Maybe I'll have to try capturing it again and
see what I get...