TMPEGEnc making big border

Hactar

Hi. I'm trying to crunch a 320x240 AVI -> MPEG-1 (or -2, if Beyond TV 3 will
handle that and it's better in some important way). It started life as a
recording which got damaged (I think by time starvation), so I went MPG ->
AVI (using VirtualDub), then AVI -> MPG (using TMPEGEnc). The AVI looks
fine, but the output MPEG is the input image (320x240) with a large black
surround (640x480 or maybe 800x600). What can I change to fix this?

On another note, after seeking within the MPEG there was a long delay before
playback would resume. I thought maybe this was due to my use of VBR, so I
changed TMPEGEnc to use CBR. I figure 1 GB/hr is sufficient; that should be
about 2330 kbit/s. Do my math and reasoning seem plausible?

--
-eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar

A: Because it looks dumb and is hard to read.
Q: Why is top-posting wrong? -- from lots42@xxx.com

Hactar wrote:

> Hi. I'm trying to crunch a 320x240 AVI -> MPEG-1 (or -2, if Beyond
> TV 3 will handle that and it's better in some important way). It
> started life as a recording which got damaged (I think by time
> starvation), so I went MPG -> AVI (using VirtualDub), then AVI -> MPG
> (using TMPEGEnc).
> The AVI looks fine, but the output MPEG is the input image (320x240)
> with a large black
> surround (640x480 or maybe 800x600). What can I change to fix this?
>
> On another note, after seeking within the MPEG there was a long delay
> before playback would resume. I thought maybe this was due to my use
> of VBR, so I changed TMPEGEnc to use CBR. I figure 1 GB/hr is
> sufficient; that should be about 2330 kbit/s. Do my math and
> reasoning seem plausible?

the tv resolution for mpeg1/vcd is 352 by 288, so their should be only
a small black border, use the PAL VCD wizard in the TMPGEnc program. if
it's not 352x288 then it wont play on a TV in OZ

Hactar

In article <Usenet.sihqhlte@localhost>,
PerthMETRO.net <email -at- perthmetro -dot- net> wrote:
> Hactar wrote:
> >
> > Hi. I'm trying to crunch a 320x240 AVI -> MPEG-1 (or -2, if Beyond
> > TV 3 will handle that and it's better in some important way). It
> > started life as a recording which got damaged (I think by time
> > starvation), so I went MPG -> AVI (using VirtualDub), then AVI -> MPG
> > (using TMPEGEnc).
> > The AVI looks fine, but the output MPEG is the input image (320x240)
> > with a large black
> > surround (640x480 or maybe 800x600). What can I change to fix this?

> the tv resolution for mpeg1/vcd is 352 by 288, so their should be only
> a small black border, use the PAL VCD wizard in the TMPGEnc program. if
> it's not 352x288 then it wont play on a TV in OZ

That's fine; it doesn't have to play on any TV but mine.

I fixed the problem -- "Settings" button, "Advanced" tab, "Video arrange
Method" was set to some "full screen" option. Setting it to "center" made
everything OK.

Now I'm going to prowl through the options looking for ways to speed it up
-- currently it's just slower than real time (1.5 GHz Athlon).

--
-eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar

Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!