Watching cable t.v. remotely

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have a static IP, WinXPPro, LinkSys G Router, Cable into my PC, and a
WIN-TV card.

I want to watch cable remotely (like I do from my desktop) and change
channels using a browser, my router, and web access.

I've never used remote desktop access, but do access my router remotely
through :8080.

Can you guys help me figure out how to do this? I know no one has time for
a long post but:
1) Can it be done without buying additional software using XP Pro and my rig
2) Is there a link with instructions you can send me to.
-and if not
3) How would I do it, what do I need, and what is the best software to buy
to get it done?
(Here is a link where I read guys were doing it with some third party
software to their pocket pc's)

http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-17409.html

But I wanted to ask because surely there's just a way to push video to a
port I can access remotely.

Thanks,
-Rob

Andre

Take a look at http://www.snapstream.com "Beyond TV"

andre

"andre" <ad@noomicron.com> wrote in message
> Take a look at http://www.snapstream.com "Beyond TV"
>
> andre
>

> "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I have a static IP, WinXPPro, LinkSys G Router, Cable into my PC, and a
>> WIN-TV card.
>>
>> I want to watch cable remotely (like I do from my desktop) and change
>> channels using a browser, my router, and web access.
>>
>> I've never used remote desktop access, but do access my router remotely
>> through :8080.
>>
>> Can you guys help me figure out how to do this? I know no one has time
> for
>> a long post but:
>> 1) Can it be done without buying additional software using XP Pro and my
> rig
>> 2) Is there a link with instructions you can send me to.
>> -and if not
>> 3) How would I do it, what do I need, and what is the best software to
> buy
>> to get it done?
>> (Here is a link where I read guys were doing it with some third party
>> software to their pocket pc's)
>>
>> http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-17409.html
>>
>> But I wanted to ask because surely there's just a way to push video to a
>> port I can access remotely.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Rob

AIW Player will do this. http://fightersoft.openvision.ro/aiwplayer/

It will let you share a TV card on your network(wireless too) also change
channels, etc.(uses a chat client).
It is finicky to operate and a PITA to setup, but it is free and it does
work.

Dick Kistler

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thank you Mr. Kistler, I'll try it. I just bought more memory for my box and
a WinTV USB2 last night. I'll download it and also try BeyondTV...it appears
it
lets me test drive theirs before buying.

Thanks for the help.

-Rob