Datavideo DAC-100: Format of the captured file

Hi!

I am looking for a AV-DV conversor, just for some analog captures. I use
Preiere Pro and Liquid edition for editing.

I want to buy either Canopus advc-100 or datavideo DAC-100. I will not make
an extensive use oth them, since most of the time, i work entirely in DV,
but since sometimes the customer has an analog tape, i must have a
conversor.

My question is: Whisch are the format of the captured files of these
products? I need an AVI-DV format in my computer. I´ve heard that the
datavideo product captures in MPEG-2 format. Is this correct? And the
Canopus one?

Thanks,

Xabier

"Xabier Giménez Sasieta" <xgimenez@texelnet.net> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I am looking for a AV-DV conversor, just for some analog captures. I use
> Preiere Pro and Liquid edition for editing.
>
> I want to buy either Canopus advc-100 or datavideo DAC-100. I will not
make
> an extensive use oth them, since most of the time, i work entirely in DV,
> but since sometimes the customer has an analog tape, i must have a
> conversor.
>
> My question is: Whisch are the format of the captured files of these
> products? I need an AVI-DV format in my computer. I´ve heard that the
> datavideo product captures in MPEG-2 format. Is this correct? And the
> Canopus one?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Xabier

I am a DAC-100 user.
The DAC-100 takes analog input, and produces DV output.
It also takes DV input and produces analog input.
The DV interface of the DAC-100 is Firewire.
The DAC-100 has no MPEG-2 functionality at all.
It is purely a transcoder.
The DAC-100 does exactly what you want, as does the Canopus unit.

Xabier,

> I am looking for a AV-DV conversor, just for some analog captures.
> I want to buy either Canopus advc-100 or datavideo DAC-100.
> Which are the format of the captured files of these products?

I have the DAC-100. You connect an analog signal to the inputs, and it
outputs a DV signal over firewire. You then connect the firewire to your
computer just as you would a DV camcorder. You use the same software to
capture as you would if you were capturing from a camcorder (I personally
use Scenalyzer Live to capture).

It works great, and sure beats hooking up a camcorder as a A/D converter.

Anthony

"Xabier Giménez Sasieta" <xgimenez@texelnet.net> wrote in

> Hi!
>
> I am looking for a AV-DV conversor, just for some analog captures. I
> use Preiere Pro and Liquid edition for editing.
>
> I want to buy either Canopus advc-100 or datavideo DAC-100. I will not
> make an extensive use oth them, since most of the time, i work
> entirely in DV, but since sometimes the customer has an analog tape, i
> must have a conversor.
>
> My question is: Whisch are the format of the captured files of these
> products? I need an AVI-DV format in my computer. I´ve heard that the
> datavideo product captures in MPEG-2 format. Is this correct? And the
> Canopus one?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Xabier

I've got the DataVideo DAC-100 and the Canopus ADVC-100. The Canopus is
well worth the extra $50 U.S. or so that it will cost.

Using the DataVideo converter, I've got to tweak MPEG software encoders to
max precision to avoid artifacts and motion blur. It seems the signal
output of the DataVideo product introduces many types of small artifacts,
those artifacts overwhelm most MPEG encoders. The DataVideo product
injects a lot of "mosquito noise" and "snow." Those software MPEG encoders
have to deal with all those tiny moving artifacts.

The Canopus ADVC-100 outputs a signal that is clean. Using the Canopus
product, I can use the "standard" settings of any MPEG encoder and get a
nice MPEG 1 or MPEG 2 file using standard settings in MPEG encoders. This
saves a lot of time because the encoders can render the file more quickly.
Every MPEG transcoded from a Canopus signal looks better than every MPEG I
got from the DataVideo.

On top of that, the analog output of the Canopus beats DataVideo. In other
words, if you scrub a computer DV file to analog composite or S-VHS, the
Canopus outputs an analog signal that is cleaner, richer, with more vibrant
colors.

I used a DataVideo DAC-100 before Canopus released the ADVC-100. Now that
I have the Canopus, the DataVideo sits on the shelf and is never used.

--vj2k2

TRENDING THREADS