Converting *.vob to *.avi ?

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.ms-windows.video,alt.video.divx,comp.multimedia (More info?)

What is the best way to convert a *.vob encoded movie into an *.avi file?

Tom
15 answers Last reply
More about converting

    Tom Miller wrote:
    > What is the best way to convert a *.vob encoded movie into an
    > *.avi file?
    >
    > Tom

    In the MS world, VirtualDubMPEG2 and FlaskMPEG probably have the
    best tools for pre/post processing frames to be converted. VDub
    has better positioning controls when editing.

    BJ
  2. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.ms-windows.video,alt.video.divx,comp.multimedia (More info?)

    On a sunny day (Sun, 2 May 2004 16:04:22 +0200) it happened ttttMil@yahoo.com
    (Tom Miller) wrote in <c72v55$ekl$00$1@news.t-online.com>:

    >What is the best way to convert a *.vob encoded movie into an *.avi file?
    >
    >Tom
    Linux transcode.

    On Sun, 2 May 2004 16:04:22 +0200, ttttMil@yahoo.com (Tom Miller)
    wrote:

    >What is the best way to convert a *.vob encoded movie into an *.avi file?

    Quite a good program is DVD2AVI (
    http://arbor.ee.ntu.edu.tw/~jackei/dvd2avi/ ), it can encode to DivX
    if you have this codec installed.

    ttttMil@yahoo.com (Tom Miller) wrote:

    >What is the best way to convert a *.vob encoded movie into an *.avi file?
    >
    >Tom

    AutoGordianKnot (free). See http://www.autogk.net/web/ for more details.

    Tom
  5. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.ms-windows.video,alt.video.divx,comp.multimedia (More info?)

    Jan Panteltje <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > On a sunny day (Sun, 2 May 2004 16:04:22 +0200) it happened ttttMil@yahoo.com
    > (Tom Miller) wrote in <c72v55$ekl$00$1@news.t-online.com>:
    >
    >>What is the best way to convert a *.vob encoded movie into an *.avi file?
    >>
    >>Tom
    > Linux transcode.

    Is there a webpage for Linux transcode?

    Jeff
  6. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.ms-windows.video,alt.video.divx,comp.multimedia (More info?)

    Jeff Grossman wrote:

    > Jan Panteltje <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On a sunny day (Sun, 2 May 2004 16:04:22 +0200) it happened ttttMil@yahoo.com
    >>(Tom Miller) wrote in <c72v55$ekl$00$1@news.t-online.com>:
    >>

    >>>What is the best way to convert a *.vob encoded movie into an *.avi file?
    >>>
    >>>Tom
    >>
    >>Linux transcode.
    >

    > Is there a webpage for Linux transcode?

    http://www.google.com/search?&q=linux%20transcode

    Hint: You can do the above for really just about anything. :)

    -WD
  7. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.ms-windows.video,alt.video.divx,comp.multimedia (More info?)

    Looks like a great program.

    I have a similar problem and would like to get .vob files into Premiere Pro.
    Any recommendations for non-Linux users?

    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Allen
    "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > Jeff Grossman wrote:
    >
    > > Jan Panteltje <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >>On a sunny day (Sun, 2 May 2004 16:04:22 +0200) it happened
    ttttMil@yahoo.com

    > >>Linux transcode.
    > >

    > > Is there a webpage for Linux transcode?
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?&q=linux%20transcode
    >
    > Hint: You can do the above for really just about anything. :)
    >

    > -WD
  8. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.ms-windows.video,alt.video.divx,comp.multimedia (More info?)

    Allen Kiefer wrote:
    > Looks like a great program.
    >
    > I have a similar problem and would like to get .vob files into Premiere Pro.
    > Any recommendations for non-Linux users?
    >
    > Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

    Have you tried just opening the VOB file? If Premiere Pro can open
    MPEG2, it should be able to open VOB.

    If it does not, then you could always open it with VirtualDub-MPEG2 and
    frameserve to Premiere. (Possibly with the aid of ReadAVS and
    VFAPIConv if Premiere doesn't support VirtualDub's Frameserving)

    All of the above mentioned applications are linked from
    http://myehhelper.courceforge.net

    -WD

  9. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.ms-windows.video,alt.video.divx,comp.multimedia (More info?)

    Will Dormann wrote:

    > All of the above mentioned applications are linked from

    Make that: http://mythhelper.sourceforge.net

    -WD

    On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 19:27:13 -0400, Will Dormann
    <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

    >Will Dormann wrote:
    >

    >> All of the above mentioned applications are linked from
    >
    >Make that: http://mythhelper.sourceforge.net
    >

    >-WD

    >-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----
    If Premire can edit mpg then just change the vob extension to mpg.

    Thank You
    Don
  11. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.ms-windows.video,alt.video.divx,comp.multimedia (More info?)

    Use DVD2AVI
    http://arbor.ee.ntu.edu.tw/~jackei/dvd2avi/guide.html

    Just search on "VOB to AVI" and you would have found this in seconds...
  12. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.ms-windows.video,alt.video.divx,comp.multimedia (More info?)

    I appreciate the Google tip, but I already tried that. :-) Lots of
    information. I was looking for more 1st hand experience.

    Have you used the program? How's is the quality of the conversion?

    Thanks!

    "David Chien" <chiendh@uci.edu> wrote in message
    > Use DVD2AVI
    > http://arbor.ee.ntu.edu.tw/~jackei/dvd2avi/guide.html
    >
    > Just search on "VOB to AVI" and you would have found this in seconds...
  13. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.ms-windows.video,comp.multimedia (More info?)

    Unfortunatley, Premiere does not appear to import vob files directly. I
    tried just changing the extension and it worked a little. When I changed it
    to "m2v" and mpg, but I only got the video.

    I will check out the programs you recommended.

    Thanks for the info!

    > Allen Kiefer wrote:
    > > Looks like a great program.
    > >
    > > I have a similar problem and would like to get .vob files into Premiere
    Pro.
    > > Any recommendations for non-Linux users?
    > >
    > > Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    >

    > Have you tried just opening the VOB file? If Premiere Pro can open
    > MPEG2, it should be able to open VOB.
    >
    > If it does not, then you could always open it with VirtualDub-MPEG2 and
    > frameserve to Premiere. (Possibly with the aid of ReadAVS and
    > VFAPIConv if Premiere doesn't support VirtualDub's Frameserving)
    >
    > All of the above mentioned applications are linked from
    > http://myehhelper.courceforge.net
    >

    > -WD

  14. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.ms-windows.video,alt.video.divx,comp.multimedia (More info?)

    David Chien <chiendh@uci.edu> wrote:
    > Use DVD2AVI
    > http://arbor.ee.ntu.edu.tw/~jackei/dvd2avi/guide.html
    >
    > Just search on "VOB to AVI" and you would have found this in seconds...
    Will this work for VOD files also?
  15. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.ms-windows.video,alt.video.divx,comp.multimedia (More info?)

    DVDCutter is the freeware program that I use all the time to convert
    ..VOB to .AVI, and it works GREAT. It even removes the Macrovision
    copy protection. You can download it here
    http://www.jummpa.com/download/dcmsetup.zip

    Have fun!

Tuner Cards Multimedia Desktops Video AVI Graphics