Closed

can't get vid thumbnails to show pic

When I first got xp, my video thumbnails always showed a
picture in the thumbnail, enabling me to get a glimpse of
what I was openning before I openned it. But after a
friend was screwing around on my computer, now I just get
the windows media icon in the thumbnail, although
my "pictures" thumbnails still show a thumbnail of the
picture before I open it. Could someone tell me how to
get "thumbnail pictures" to show up again on my videos.
I've tried to figure it out but can't. Would really
appreciate a little help guys. Thanks a
bunch................................George
5 answers Last reply
More about thumbnails show

    "george" wrote:

    > When I first got xp, my video thumbnails always showed a
    > picture in the thumbnail, enabling me to get a glimpse of
    > what I was openning before I openned it. But after a
    > friend was screwing around on my computer, now I just get
    > the windows media icon in the thumbnail, although
    > my "pictures" thumbnails still show a thumbnail of the
    > picture before I open it. Could someone tell me how to
    > get "thumbnail pictures" to show up again on my videos.
    > I've tried to figure it out but can't. Would really
    > appreciate a little help guys. Thanks a
    > bunch................................George

    My second one in a row. >_>;; I seriously have too much time on my hands.

    Well, I had a similar problem a while ago except it was with pictures.
    Basically, I just set it to open in "Window Picture and Fax Viewer", but I
    tried to change the program that my videos open up in and the thumbnail
    stayed the same. What you may need to do is refresh the thumbnails. If that
    doesn't work, I'm not sure what happened. Your friend may have converted the
    videos to a different format or something like that. You need to add some
    more information, like what your friend did and what file type these videos
    are.

    Sorry if I wasn't of any help.

    Try opening your Video folder, then select "VIEW" from the dropdown box at
    the top of the screen.
    Select "Thumbnails". Do you still get the media icon?

    "ScarSlasher" <ScarSlasher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > "george" wrote:
    >
    >> When I first got xp, my video thumbnails always showed a
    >> picture in the thumbnail, enabling me to get a glimpse of
    >> what I was openning before I openned it. But after a
    >> friend was screwing around on my computer, now I just get
    >> the windows media icon in the thumbnail, although
    >> my "pictures" thumbnails still show a thumbnail of the
    >> picture before I open it. Could someone tell me how to
    >> get "thumbnail pictures" to show up again on my videos.
    >> I've tried to figure it out but can't. Would really
    >> appreciate a little help guys. Thanks a
    >> bunch................................George
    >>

    > My second one in a row. >_>;; I seriously have too much time on my hands.
    >
    > Well, I had a similar problem a while ago except it was with pictures.
    > Basically, I just set it to open in "Window Picture and Fax Viewer", but I
    > tried to change the program that my videos open up in and the thumbnail
    > stayed the same. What you may need to do is refresh the thumbnails. If
    > that
    > doesn't work, I'm not sure what happened. Your friend may have converted
    > the
    > videos to a different format or something like that. You need to add some
    > more information, like what your friend did and what file type these
    > videos
    > are.
    >
    > Sorry if I wasn't of any help.

    Close all windows. Goto Start -> Run dialog and type or copy paste the
    following line

    REGSVR32 SHMEDIA.DLL

    Press OK and off you go to explore a video folder.

    --
    Rehan
    www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows Movie Maker

    "george" <geonbcc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > When I first got xp, my video thumbnails always showed a
    > picture in the thumbnail, enabling me to get a glimpse of
    > what I was openning before I openned it. But after a
    > friend was screwing around on my computer, now I just get
    > the windows media icon in the thumbnail, although
    > my "pictures" thumbnails still show a thumbnail of the
    > picture before I open it. Could someone tell me how to
    > get "thumbnail pictures" to show up again on my videos.
    > I've tried to figure it out but can't. Would really
    > appreciate a little help guys. Thanks a
    > bunch................................George
  4. Just a note to extend a HUGE thanks for this post. It was the safest of all the suggestions I've seen (not to keen to mess with the registry) and my thumbnail issue has been solved.

    Cheers,
    Burt

    Close all windows. Goto Start -> Run dialog and type or copy paste the
    following line

    REGSVR32 SHMEDIA.DLL

    Press OK and off you go to explore a video folder.

    --
    Rehan
    www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows Movie Maker

    "george" <geonbcc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > When I first got xp, my video thumbnails always showed a
    > picture in the thumbnail, enabling me to get a glimpse of
    > what I was openning before I openned it. But after a
    > friend was screwing around on my computer, now I just get
    > the windows media icon in the thumbnail, although
    > my "pictures" thumbnails still show a thumbnail of the
    > picture before I open it. Could someone tell me how to
    > get "thumbnail pictures" to show up again on my videos.
    > I've tried to figure it out but can't. Would really
    > appreciate a little help guys. Thanks a
  5. This topic has been closed by The_Prophecy

Video Microsoft Windows XP