How does a PC user save .dv for MAC?

Wondering what software products folks as using to store .dv files made
on a PC
over to an external USB or Firewire hard drive formated for a MAC?

Thanks,
George
4 answers Last reply
More about user save

    you can gop to the MAC with a network connection and send QuickTime DV
    formatted files. I routinely transfer files from Discreet Combustion to the
    mac over net using QTDV

    In article <4095613C.8391FF73@mindspring.com>, George wrote:
    > Wondering what software products folks as using to store .dv files made
    > on a PC
    > over to an external USB or Firewire hard drive formated for a MAC?

    I don't think there is a Mac filesystem for the PC. What's more, the
    partition table formats are different, so you can't mix Mac FS and
    PC FS partitions on the same drive and move it back and forth. Macs
    can read/write FAT32 and read NTFS, but can't write it. PC's can
    read/write FAT32 and read/write NTFS, but can't read MacFS. FAT32
    is the only common ground where you can move files back and forth.
    Problem is that FAT32 has a 2GB file size limit, which is pretty
    much a show-killer when it comes to .dv files.

    Unless there is a filesystem out there that both platforms can
    read/write to that can handle >2GB files, the moving a drive
    around idea won't work. I don't know of one. I ended up just
    doing it over ethernet and enduring the speed hit. My external
    drive is all Mac and just holds the stuff coming over from the
    PC.

    ....Sean.

    not really much of a speed hit for smaller Qt files. Over SAMBA at least!
    "CheetoDust" <Stalky14@synonymforenthuse.com> wrote in message
    > In article <4095613C.8391FF73@mindspring.com>, George wrote:
    > > Wondering what software products folks as using to store .dv files made
    > > on a PC
    > > over to an external USB or Firewire hard drive formated for a MAC?
    >
    > I don't think there is a Mac filesystem for the PC. What's more, the
    > partition table formats are different, so you can't mix Mac FS and
    > PC FS partitions on the same drive and move it back and forth. Macs
    > can read/write FAT32 and read NTFS, but can't write it. PC's can
    > read/write FAT32 and read/write NTFS, but can't read MacFS. FAT32
    > is the only common ground where you can move files back and forth.
    > Problem is that FAT32 has a 2GB file size limit, which is pretty
    > much a show-killer when it comes to .dv files.
    >
    > Unless there is a filesystem out there that both platforms can
    > read/write to that can handle >2GB files, the moving a drive
    > around idea won't work. I don't know of one. I ended up just
    > doing it over ethernet and enduring the speed hit. My external
    > drive is all Mac and just holds the stuff coming over from the
    > PC.
    >
    > ...Sean.

    >Problem is that FAT32 has a 2GB file size limit, which is pretty
    >much a show-killer when it comes to .dv files.

    Fat32 has a 4 gig limit. Not a show-stopper if you render your project into
    sections.

    Craig H.

Tuner Cards Macintosh Graphics