250gig external firewire drive problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 3, 2004 7:01:30 AM

I'm trying to install a 250gig maxtor external firewire drive (via PYRO
drive kit)
and its only seeing 137gig max...

Are there size limitations via firewire??????

thanks!!

May 3, 2004 7:01:31 AM

">>BadBoy" <zzz@nospammers.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to install a 250gig maxtor external firewire drive (via PYRO
> drive kit)
> and its only seeing 137gig max...
>

> Are there size limitations via firewire??????
>

> thanks!!

No limitations by firewire, but the kit itself probably has the limitation.
The answer is to buy another EIDE-->USB adapter that advertises the maximum
size you need.
Anonymous
May 3, 2004 7:01:31 AM

">>BadBoy" <zzz@nospammers.com> wrote in message news:<4095b60a$1_3@news4.uncensored-news.com>...
> I'm trying to install a 250gig maxtor external firewire drive (via PYRO
> drive kit) and its only seeing 137gig max...
>
> Are there size limitations via firewire??????

Firewire does not have a 137GB drive limitation. But some ATA to
Firewire bridges do have a 137GB limitation. I know that current
ADS Pyro drive enclosures support large drives--I've got one here in which
I had a 200GB drive. I think I bought the enclosure late last year.
Related resources
May 3, 2004 11:24:04 AM

> Are there size limitations via firewire??????
>

> thanks!!

I'm 99% sure it's a limitation of you operating system. What are you using?
Anonymous
May 3, 2004 5:25:36 PM

On 3 May 2004 03:01:30 GMT, ">>BadBoy" <zzz@nospammers.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to install a 250gig maxtor external firewire drive (via PYRO
>drive kit)
>and its only seeing 137gig max...
>

>Are there size limitations via firewire??????

Not Firewire as such, but there may be in other parts of the system.

Partition the drive.
Anonymous
May 3, 2004 6:57:47 PM

Hey guys!

I want to thank everyone for all their KWIK replies!

The problem was with the drive kit... I was using an older ADS PYRO kit...
and it just wouldnt see pass 137 gig!!!

I switched the kit to a newer drive kit that I had... plugged it in...
and immediately winXP saw the 250gig drive...

Just had to partition and format it via Drive Management...

thanks again!!!

BRENT in Houston

">>BadBoy" <zzz@nospammers.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to install a 250gig maxtor external firewire drive (via PYRO
> drive kit)
> and its only seeing 137gig max...
>

> Are there size limitations via firewire??????
>

> thanks!!

http://www.uncensored-news.com