extracting audio from video

I want to extract the audio from my video files, and save it in a common
enought audoio format that I can open up in Audacity and add additional
tracks (music and narration), then be able to drop it back into the video
again.

Does anyone know of a good program or utility that will do this for me?
(hopefully open source or freeware, but if not then hopefully one that's
pretty cheap)

I am trying out Avid FreeDV on my current project, but also have Windows
Movie Maker, and Pinnacle Studio (v. 7) which I can also use.
3 answers Last reply
More about extracting audio video

    Windows media encoder 9 series can do that,download from media home
    page.

    "Rod Dirk, Synergy Computer Consulting" wrote:

    > I want to extract the audio from my video files, and save it in a common
    > enought audoio format that I can open up in Audacity and add additional
    > tracks (music and narration), then be able to drop it back into the video
    > again.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a good program or utility that will do this for me?
    > (hopefully open source or freeware, but if not then hopefully one that's
    > pretty cheap)
    >
    > I am trying out Avid FreeDV on my current project, but also have Windows
    > Movie Maker, and Pinnacle Studio (v. 7) which I can also use.

    Thanks, I already have Media Encoder 9 on my machine, but only ever thought
    of using it when creating streaming or on-demand content - I'll give it a
    try

    BTW - If you subscribe to The Langalist (a tech newsletter put out by IT
    writer Fred Langa), you may have seen the following article on ME9 and
    MovieMaker touting some of their additional little-known capabilities.....

    3) Free Tools, As Good As Any

    Hi Fred- I recently had an idea to film full-motion screen
    captures as tutorials for my students. I wanted to go through
    the updating & running of the various spyware, antivirus, &
    firewall programs that I recommend. I would then burn these
    tutorials to CD to hand out at a free security class I want to
    host at the local library.

    After researching various programs, I found Camtasia seemed to
    fill the bill best- but...at $300 it's a bit too rich for my
    pockets.

    In the midst of more searching I stumbled across an article
    talking about Windows Media Encoder-- OMG! It does all that
    Camtasia does & much more- & I had to laugh that I actually had
    it in my program list but never noticed it?

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default.aspx

    Please pass this around as I'm sure I'm not the only one who
    was "in the dark" about this marvelous tool.

    Sincerely, Tracy Fortune

    Indeed, it's pretty good stuff, Tracy. There also are additional free add-
    ins and utilities here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/utilities.aspx

    XP's built-in "Movie Maker" is another nice tool that uses much of the
    same core technology. (
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/moviemaker2.mspx )
    It's as slick as many commercial movie-making tools, but offers much
    higher compression rates. In fact, all the Windows Media audio and video
    compression rates can be much, *much* higher than their MPx counterparts.
    this lets you either pack more AudioVisual content into a given space, or
    end up with smaller standalone files that are easier to store and share.

    Related example: I recently bought my wife a little iPod-type player. I
    say "iPod-type" because it's not an iPod: I instead choose a player that
    also supports WMA (Windows Media Audio) because a WMA audio track is only
    about half the size of the same track in MP3 format. That means my wife
    can load literally twice as many songs into her player as she could if
    the songs were in MP3 format. (Yes, she also can load MP3s, if she wants
    too; the player handles both formats.) There's no special software
    needed, either: The free Windows Media Player will "rip" a CD into WMA
    format in just seconds per track. It's utterly simple.

    The audio quality of WMA is functionally the same as MP3; I can hear no
    difference when the music's played through the earbud headphones that
    come with those portable players. So, there's no real downside to WMA: No
    audible difference, easy to use, and twice the number of songs in a given
    storage space. True, WMA is a proprietary format--- but I seriously doubt
    it's going away anytime soon, as it's compatible with the majority of the
    world's PCs. <g>

    Apple gets all the press for audio and video, and their mechanical
    designs and marketing are very slick, but the Windows media software has
    some real advantages. Plus, it's either built into XP, or can be added
    for free. <g>

    > Windows media encoder 9 series can do that,download from media home
    > page.
    >
    > "Rod Dirk, Synergy Computer Consulting" wrote:
    >
    > > I want to extract the audio from my video files, and save it in a common
    > > enought audoio format that I can open up in Audacity and add additional
    > > tracks (music and narration), then be able to drop it back into the
    video
    > > again.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know of a good program or utility that will do this for me?
    > > (hopefully open source or freeware, but if not then hopefully one
    that's
    > > pretty cheap)
    > >
    > > I am trying out Avid FreeDV on my current project, but also have Windows
    > > Movie Maker, and Pinnacle Studio (v. 7) which I can also use.

  3. I know a step by step guide on how to extract MP3, WMA, M4A, WAV, AC3, FLAC, OGG, AU, AIFF, RA from various video files at http://www.***/articles/audio-extractor-extract-audio-from-mp4-flv-avi-mkv-mov-wmv.html

    It helps easilly:

    Extract audio from MOV, MP4, WMV, AVI, MPG, MKV, VOB, 3GP, FLV, WebM, SWF, F4V, DivX, Xvid, ASF, RMVB, MVI, WTV, DVR, H.264, DV, MXF, AVCHD, MOD, TOD, MTS and etc.
    Extract audio from FLV, WMV, MP4 and etc to AC3, MP3, WMA, Apple Lossless M4A, FLAC, AIFF, WAV, OGG, RA, MP2, AU and more
    Extract audio with mono, stereo or 5.1 channels from all kinds of music video and movies files like extract audio from MKV FLAC to AC3 5.1 channel.
    Extract audio soundtrack with 32 to 320 Kbps from various video files like extract audio from AVI to MP3 at 320kbps
    Convert between various audio formats including FLAC, OGG, APE, PCM, SHN, VOC, QCP, ARM, AWB, AIFF, WMA, WAV, Apple Lossless M4A, AIFF, AC3, AAC, MP3, MP2, AU, DTS, RA, CUE, TTA, MPC and etc.

Video Audio Windows XP