Head cleaning - ned assistance

Can someone help me with cleaning my video heads? I heard of a head
flush, special swabs with virtually no particulation residue, special
solvents to be used. Is there a good diagram or instructional guide on
how to perform this on a mini-digital?

50/50 mix of Tetrafluorothane Isoprpyl is the best used solvent.

The Chamois swab is the best applicator or a special tech wipe.

I also was told Heads should never be stroked up and down or they can
be broken, especially in the smaller units 8mm and dv. Movement of
swab or cleaner should travel in the same direction as the tape.

Any instructional information is appreciated or recomended URLs or
personal preferences.

Thanks

On 3 May 2004 04:01:31 -0700, ssowajm@hotmail.com (Me2) wrote:

>Can someone help me with cleaning my video heads? I heard of a head
>flush, special swabs with virtually no particulation residue, special
>solvents to be used. Is there a good diagram or instructional guide on
>how to perform this on a mini-digital?
>
>50/50 mix of Tetrafluorothane Isoprpyl is the best used solvent.
>
>The Chamois swab is the best applicator or a special tech wipe.
>
>I also was told Heads should never be stroked up and down or they can
>be broken, especially in the smaller units 8mm and dv. Movement of
>swab or cleaner should travel in the same direction as the tape.
>

>Any instructional information is appreciated or recomended URLs or
>personal preferences.
>
>Thanks
I like MG chemicals audio and video head cleaner.
The method I use is to wet the flat swab and hold it sideways
against the drum so that approx 1/2 the swab is in contact with
the rotating section and 1/2 is in contact with the stationary part.

Press lightly, hold the swab still, and use the other hand to
rotate the drum to move the heads back and forth across the
swab 2 or 3 times. That's it.
Dave

On a sunny day (Mon, 03 May 2004 16:33:55 GMT) it happened davetest
<davexnetzerotwo@hooya!.com> wrote in
<lpsc90li74s0dj7c7m9et86mv4nl3pgugf@4ax.com>:

>On 3 May 2004 04:01:31 -0700, ssowajm@hotmail.com (Me2) wrote:
>
>>Can someone help me with cleaning my video heads? I heard of a head
>>flush, special swabs with virtually no particulation residue, special
>>solvents to be used. Is there a good diagram or instructional guide on
>>how to perform this on a mini-digital?
>>
>>50/50 mix of Tetrafluorothane Isoprpyl is the best used solvent.
>>
>>The Chamois swab is the best applicator or a special tech wipe.
>>
>>I also was told Heads should never be stroked up and down or they can
>>be broken, especially in the smaller units 8mm and dv. Movement of
>>swab or cleaner should travel in the same direction as the tape.
>>

>>Any instructional information is appreciated or recomended URLs or
>>personal preferences.
>>
>>Thanks
>I like MG chemicals audio and video head cleaner.
>The method I use is to wet the flat swab and hold it sideways
>against the drum so that approx 1/2 the swab is in contact with
>the rotating section and 1/2 is in contact with the stationary part.
>
>Press lightly, hold the swab still, and use the other hand to
>rotate the drum to move the heads back and forth across the
>swab 2 or 3 times. That's it.
>Dave

In the old broadcast quadruplex days we used freon...
And a piece of cloth.
Probably considered dangerous now.
VHS heads I just clean with a cue tip and alcohol.
Indeed you should only wipe the heads in the tape travel direction.
And make sure the cue-tip does not hook up.
Also clean the tape guides, and other stuff in the tape path.
Let the alcohol evaporate before you put in a tape.
JP