Music for hockey highlight video

We are making a 3min video of a boys hockey team. It is for fun and maybe
get them motivated. Highlights of goals, off ice traing etc. Any
suggestions for good background music. We already have Tina Turners simply
the best.

thanks for any ideas
30 answers Last reply
More about music hockey highlight video

    If it was me, I'd dump the Tina Turner...for the young boys you need to go
    with ROCK, like they do on ESPN highlights. Fast paced, shows action, no
    words to try an listen too. Nothing sappy. Your music tastes are not
    theirs, trust me.

    http://www.superexoticar.com/images/Take_Two_2.wmv

    rqo

    "Ann" <almacmil@is.dal.ca> wrote in message news:c761qv$ccs$1@News.Dal.Ca...
    > We are making a 3min video of a boys hockey team. It is for fun and maybe
    > get them motivated. Highlights of goals, off ice traing etc. Any
    > suggestions for good background music. We already have Tina Turners simply
    > the best.
    >
    > thanks for any ideas

    "Ann" <almacmil@is.dal.ca> wrote in message news:c761qv$ccs$1@News.Dal.Ca...
    > We are making a 3min video of a boys hockey team. It is for fun and maybe
    > get them motivated. Highlights of goals, off ice traing etc. Any
    > suggestions for good background music. We already have Tina Turners simply
    > the best.

    Then you've already committed copyright infringement. "It's for fun," is not
    a defense to infringement.

    > thanks for any ideas

    Try www.freeplaymusic.com

    They have several CDs of Sports Highlights music that can be
    downloaded and its royalty free for non-commercial uses. I used some
    of the selections last year for a soccer highlight video and it worked
    really well.

    > > We are making a 3min video of a boys hockey team. It is for fun and
    maybe
    > > get them motivated. Highlights of goals, off ice traing etc. Any
    > > suggestions for good background music. We already have Tina Turners
    simply
    > > the best.
    >
    > Then you've already committed copyright infringement. "It's for fun," is
    not
    > a defense to infringement.

    LOL

    Laugh while you can, monkey boy. People have been sued into the poor-house
    for a lot less lately. The RIAA is quite serious about these things. So
    much so, they got congress to make just this sort of thing a felony
    ($100,000 fine and up to 5 years in prison for copying a single song off a
    CD into your home video).

    "It's for fun," is even less of a defense than the old "it's fair use". At
    least "fair use" used to be a valid defense (and it still is, so long as we
    aren't talking a digital copy).

    There have already been several people picked up for a single "infraction".
    Granted, it probably wouldn't stand up in court -- but so far everybody
    that's been asked to has ponied up $3000 - $5000 to the MPAA to get them
    off their back rather than go to court (which could take years and
    considerable amounts of cash).

    --
    remove .spam from address to reply by e-mail.

    "James McIninch" <james.mcininch@comcast.net.spam> wrote in message
    > Laugh while you can, monkey boy.

    FWIW, I don't think FLY135 was trying to mock me, per se. I've engaged in
    Usenet discussion with him before, and, though we've sometimes disagreed,
    he's always been civil and reasonable. "Monkey boy" is really uncalled for.

    > People have been sued into the poor-house
    > for a lot less lately. The RIAA is quite serious about these things. So
    > much so, they got congress to make just this sort of thing a felony
    > ($100,000 fine and up to 5 years in prison for copying a single song off a
    > CD into your home video).
    >
    > "It's for fun," is even less of a defense than the old "it's fair use". At
    > least "fair use" used to be a valid defense (and it still is, so long as
    we
    > aren't talking a digital copy).

    As you noted, fair use is still a valid doctrine. It is, unfortunately,
    misunderstood by a lot of people and that which they think is fair use
    simply isn't.

    I haven't ventured an opinion on the likelihood of the OP being sued for
    infringement. It may be quite low though, as you've noted, lots of
    relatively de minimus infringers are finding themselves sued as of late.
    The point though, isn't whether the OP will be caught (perhaps so, perhaps
    not), but whether what the OP proposes is legal. It isn't.

    > There have already been several people picked up for a single
    "infraction".
    > Granted, it probably wouldn't stand up in court -- but so far everybody
    > that's been asked to has ponied up $3000 - $5000 to the MPAA to get them
    > off their back rather than go to court (which could take years and
    > considerable amounts of cash).

    $5,000 is a bargain compared to the minimum 6 figures it takes to
    competently defend an infringement action.

    James McIninch wrote:

    > ($100,000 fine and up to 5 years in prison for copying a single song off a
    > CD into your home video).

    That's a mis-quote, at least as I understand the situation.

    First, the RIAA written bill has not been signed into law yet.

    Second, the actual terms as reported by all the technical outlets and Groklaw
    had to do with where you PUT the copy.

    The RIAA wants it to be a felony to place the copy in a folder that is
    accessible to a P2P program.

    > "It's for fun," is even less of a defense than the old "it's fair use". At
    > least "fair use" used to be a valid defense (and it still is, so long as we
    > aren't talking a digital copy).

    Fair use is fair use.

    Analog or digital is irrelevant in that context and must remain so. The
    RIAA/MPAA notwithstanding.

    The Canadians have seen the light on this one.

    In article <c76bvb$a7bn$1@ID-101118.news.uni-berlin.de>, "PTRAVEL"
    <ptravel88-usenet@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > > There have already been several people picked up for a single
    > "infraction"... so far everybody
    > > that's been asked to has ponied up $3000 - $5000 to the MPAA to get them
    > > off their back....
    >
    > $5,000 is a bargain compared to the minimum 6 figures it takes to
    > competently defend an infringement action.

    But somewhat expensive compared to the $25 it would cost to license a cue
    from a site like SoundDogs.com, or the $75 to get a complete CD of sports
    rock from a buyout music library.

    --
    Correct address is spell out the letter j, AT dplaydahtcom
    Clio- and Emmy-winning sound design
    Learn audio for video at www.dplay.com

    "Jay Rose CAS" <SEE-SIGFILE@rcn.com> wrote in message
    > In article <c76bvb$a7bn$1@ID-101118.news.uni-berlin.de>, "PTRAVEL"
    > <ptravel88-usenet@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > > > There have already been several people picked up for a single
    > > "infraction"... so far everybody
    > > > that's been asked to has ponied up $3000 - $5000 to the MPAA to get
    them
    > > > off their back....
    > >
    > > $5,000 is a bargain compared to the minimum 6 figures it takes to
    > > competently defend an infringement action.
    >
    > But somewhat expensive compared to the $25 it would cost to license a cue
    > from a site like SoundDogs.com, or the $75 to get a complete CD of sports
    > rock from a buyout music library.

    Quite so, and that's what I recommend to commercial videographers: buy-outs
    or royalty free libraries. I used SmartSounds for my commercial videos.

    > "James McIninch" <james.mcininch@comcast.net.spam> wrote in message
    > > Laugh while you can, monkey boy.
    >
    > FWIW, I don't think FLY135 was trying to mock me, per se. I've engaged in
    > Usenet discussion with him before, and, though we've sometimes disagreed,
    > he's always been civil and reasonable. "Monkey boy" is really uncalled
    for.

    You give me too much credit :). Actually I hit the send button before I
    finished. I didn't add... "It's for fun," is actually a defense in the
    criminal code. If it's not for profit (i.e. "It's for fun," ) then there is
    a dollar amount and time frame that allows copying without a criminal
    offense.

    While it is true that you could be tried in civil court, I really doubt that
    the RIAA is serious about people who snip some music for personal videos.
    This would be inconsistant with everything I've seen reported where there
    are primarily going after music pirates.

    > I haven't ventured an opinion on the likelihood of the OP being sued for
    > infringement. It may be quite low though, as you've noted, lots of
    > relatively de minimus infringers are finding themselves sued as of late.
    > The point though, isn't whether the OP will be caught (perhaps so, perhaps
    > not), but whether what the OP proposes is legal. It isn't.

    Technically it isn't legal, but it's not necessarily criminal. Which puts
    it back in the civil arena.

    "FLY135" <fly_135(@ hot not not)notmail.com> wrote in message

    > "PTRAVEL" <ptravel88-usenet@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "James McIninch" <james.mcininch@comcast.net.spam> wrote in message
    > > > Laugh while you can, monkey boy.
    > >
    > > FWIW, I don't think FLY135 was trying to mock me, per se. I've engaged
    in
    > > Usenet discussion with him before, and, though we've sometimes
    disagreed,
    > > he's always been civil and reasonable. "Monkey boy" is really uncalled
    > for.
    >
    > You give me too much credit :). Actually I hit the send button before I
    > finished. I didn't add... "It's for fun," is actually a defense in the
    > criminal code. If it's not for profit (i.e. "It's for fun," ) then there
    is
    > a dollar amount and time frame that allows copying without a criminal
    > offense.
    >
    > While it is true that you could be tried in civil court, I really doubt
    that
    > the RIAA is serious about people who snip some music for personal videos.
    > This would be inconsistant with everything I've seen reported where there
    > are primarily going after music pirates.

    With respect to the RIAA, that's true. However, a couple of points. First,
    it's not just the RIAA that is implicated here. Syncing music to video
    results in creation of a derivative work. That's a reserved right and,
    probably, not necessarily licensed to RIAA members. Accordingly, it's quite
    possible that there are two potential plaintiffs, not one. Next, as I
    always tell my clients, infringement actions aren't brought to recover
    money, but to protect intellectual property rights, i.e. they're not profit
    centers. If an IP owner wants to send a message to potential and actual
    infringers, they'll sue someone and, probably, pick a defendant least able
    to afford to maintain a defense. High schools have been sued for putting on
    plays without rights, church choirs have been sued for making copies of
    hymns, etc. This topic comes up most often in the context of wedding videos
    ("Can I put the bride's favorite song on the video?").

    As I said, I'm not venturing an opinion one way or another about the
    likelihood of being sued. I always tell wedding videographers this: It's a
    business risk. The downside of being a defendant is a huge expenditure for
    defense which, if unsuccessful, can also mean extensive civil liability. I
    don't evaluate business risk -- that's a decision which is the perogative of
    the business owner.

    > > I haven't ventured an opinion on the likelihood of the OP being sued for
    > > infringement. It may be quite low though, as you've noted, lots of
    > > relatively de minimus infringers are finding themselves sued as of late.
    > > The point though, isn't whether the OP will be caught (perhaps so,
    perhaps
    > > not), but whether what the OP proposes is legal. It isn't.
    >
    > Technically it isn't legal, but it's not necessarily criminal. Which puts
    > it back in the civil arena.

    Oh, sure. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it's most likely not criminal
    (though criminal defense is outside my area of expertise). However, as the
    RIAA defendants are finding, even if they think they have a valid fair use
    defense (and they might), in fact, even if they're completely innocent, it's
    a lot cheaper to settle for $5,000 than to pay the $100,000 plus it takes to
    defend an infringement action in federal court. And, of course, if they
    should lose, they're looking at potential civil liability up to $150,000,
    plus potential liability for the plaintiff's attorneys fees.

    > > I haven't ventured an opinion on the likelihood of the OP being sued
    for
    > > infringement. It may be quite low though, as you've noted, lots of
    > > relatively de minimus infringers are finding themselves sued as of
    late.
    > > The point though, isn't whether the OP will be caught (perhaps so,
    perhaps
    > > not), but whether what the OP proposes is legal. It isn't.
    >
    > Technically it isn't legal, but it's not necessarily criminal. Which
    puts
    > it back in the civil arena.

    You may not know, then again you may, that you're trying to give a legal
    opinion to an attorney. PTRAVEL recently participated in a thread I was
    involved in and gave some very succinct and valuable opinions on this
    subject. While I agree that the chance of lawsuits happening for this
    type of activity is quite small, it is nevertheless possible. It will be
    interesting if it happens because as I understand it, the concept of
    "fair use" hasn't been tested in an actual court case.

    "James McIninch" <james.mcininch@comcast.net.spam> wrote in message
    > Laugh while you can, monkey boy. People have been sued into the poor-house
    > for a lot less lately. The RIAA is quite serious about these things. So
    > much so, they got congress to make just this sort of thing a felony
    > ($100,000 fine and up to 5 years in prison for copying a single song off a
    > CD into your home video).

    You should really check your facts before posting.

    I'll make it easy for you...

    http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap5.html

    Quote:

    (a) Criminal Infringement. - Any person who infringes a copyright willfully
    either -
    (1) for purposes of commercial advantage or private financial gain, or
    (2) by the reproduction or distribution, including by electronic means,
    during any 180-day period, of 1 or more copies or phonorecords of 1 or more
    copyrighted works, which have a total retail value of more than $1,000,
    shall be punished as provided under section 2319 of title 18, United States
    Code. For purposes of this subsection, evidence of reproduction or
    distribution of a copyrighted work, by itself, shall not be sufficient to
    establish willful infringement.

    So yes if that "single song off a CD" is worth more than $1000, *AND* you
    don't own the original then you may be criminally liable.

    > "It's for fun," is even less of a defense than the old "it's fair use". At
    > least "fair use" used to be a valid defense (and it still is, so long as
    we
    > aren't talking a digital copy).

    You should really check your facts before posting. Fair use is still a
    valid consideration under DMCA.

    > There have already been several people picked up for a single
    "infraction".

    Got a link to substantiate this? How do you define a "single infraction"?

    "FLY135" <fly_135(@ hot not not)notmail.com> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > You should really check your facts before posting. Fair use is still a
    > valid consideration under DMCA.

    You're absolutely right, to the extent that DMCA has language which
    specifically says that it doesn't eliminate or circumvent fair use. The
    problem is, the DMCA also makes the act of bypassing copy protection
    illegal, i.e. making the copy may still be fair use, but how can you make
    the copy if the law precludes getting around the copy protection? I'm also
    convinced that (1) the DMCA is contradicted by the AHRA, and (2) it's
    probably unconstitutional.

    From what I've heard, Congress is attempting to remedy the DMCA by
    redrafting parts, but the law that's on the books is, at least, ambiguous.

    > "Jay Rose CAS" <SEE-SIGFILE@rcn.com> wrote in message

    > > > "infraction"... so far everybody
    > them
    > > >
    > > > $5,000 is a bargain compared to the minimum 6 figures it takes to
    > > > competently defend an infringement action.
    > >
    > > But somewhat expensive compared to the $25 it would cost to license a
    cue
    > > from a site like SoundDogs.com, or the $75 to get a complete CD of
    sports
    > > rock from a buyout music library.
    >
    > Quite so, and that's what I recommend to commercial videographers:
    buy-outs
    > or royalty free libraries. I used SmartSounds for my commercial videos.

    Along that line - has anyone put together some sort of licensing program for
    using commercial music in event videos? Does anyone even know what that
    would take to accomplish?

    "Kelvin" <h2oski64@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Try www.freeplaymusic.com
    >
    > They have several CDs of Sports Highlights music that can be
    > downloaded and its royalty free for non-commercial uses. I used some
    > of the selections last year for a soccer highlight video and it worked
    > really well.

    Freeplaymusic has some great music. However, the license doesn't cover this
    kind of use -- it's only for broadcast applications. They make their money
    by collecting from ASCAP and BMI.

    I know some people who have been trying to persuade the freeplay folks to
    offer a buy-out license. To the best of my knowledge, they haven't done so
    (though I'd sure like to know if they have).

    > > > We are making a 3min video of a boys hockey team. It is for fun and
    maybe
    > > > get them motivated. Highlights of goals, off ice traing etc. Any
    > > > suggestions for good background music. We already have Tina Turners
    simply
    > > > the best.
    > > >
    > > > thanks for any ideas

    Use music from the forno industry. Lots of pucks there.

    Bill Van Dyk wrote:

    > Isn't there already a pretty large organization of wedding
    > videographers? I think it would be a great idea for this association
    > to raise some money to hire someone to go to Washington and start
    > talking to some congressional representatives about revising the law.
    > Hold a press conference. Approach the RIAA and demand negotiations on
    > a reasonable (and we define "reasonable") compromise. Hold another
    > press conference. Present the issues carefully and clearly. Get
    > Heather Graham to be our spokesperson. Hold an event-- 4000 wedding
    > videographers all taping a dance to "Unchained Melody" at the same
    > time, illegally, in protest (go ahead-- arrest all of us!) Etc. Etc.
    >
    > Then it would be incumbent upon the association to get expert help in
    > drafting some kind of legislation that would solve the problem.
    >
    > The problem, as I see it, is probably not really a matter of money. I
    > would think that the RIAA might reasonably be willing to license the
    > use of commercial recordings for a wedding if, for example, the bride
    > and groom owned a copy of the original disk or a licensed download of
    > that song. But how to do it in a cost effective way? The Association
    > could offer to act as clearing house and to pay a negotiated flat rate
    > to the RIAA on behalf of all it's members, and to documents which
    > songs are used etc. I'm just thinking aloud here.
    >
    > I imagine the main impediment is bureaucratic rather than legal, and
    > that the right actions might achieve some results.
    >
    > We all need a bit of the old "I'm madder than hell and I'm not taking
    > it anymore..." attitude.
    >
    > Back in Kansas: on the other hand, I don't believe the RIAA is a
    > "reasonable" organization, but I'd love to have them prove me wrong.
    > And you may need to make a big fat donation to someone's re-election
    > campaign to get the attention of a legislator.

    You bring up some good points but let me play "devil's advocate" for a
    second.

    Would you give the bride and groom a license to freely use your video in
    other productions, to copy as they see fit with no further compensation
    to you?

    Don't get me wrong, I dislike the RIAA as much as anyone, it's just that
    I don't see any logic in your argument.

    But I agree with you on the campaign contribution bit. If you open some
    of the original Word documents that went into making most of the recent
    copyright legislation, you'll see they were actually authored directly
    by the RIAA/MPAA, not the senators on their payroll. This was covered
    recently on Slashdot.

    ~Keith

    "Bill Van Dyk" <trash@christian-horizons.org> wrote in message
    > Isn't there already a pretty large organization of wedding
    > videographers? I think it would be a great idea for this association to
    > raise some money to hire someone to go to Washington and start talking
    > to some congressional representatives about revising the law. Hold a
    > press conference. Approach the RIAA and demand negotiations on a
    > reasonable (and we define "reasonable") compromise. Hold another press
    > conference. Present the issues carefully and clearly. Get Heather
    > Graham to be our spokesperson. Hold an event-- 4000 wedding
    > videographers all taping a dance to "Unchained Melody" at the same time,
    > illegally, in protest (go ahead-- arrest all of us!) Etc. Etc.

    I think this is a terrific idea. If I recall correctly, the wedding
    videographers association is WEVA. I've long suggested that they lobby for
    a compulsory license for limited commercial event videography.

    "Tony" <tony23@dslextreme.com> wrote in message
    > "PTRAVEL" <ptravel88-usenet@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Jay Rose CAS" <SEE-SIGFILE@rcn.com> wrote in message

    > > them

    > > > But somewhat expensive compared to the $25 it would cost to license a
    > cue
    > > > from a site like SoundDogs.com, or the $75 to get a complete CD of
    > sports
    > > > rock from a buyout music library.
    > >
    > > Quite so, and that's what I recommend to commercial videographers:
    > buy-outs
    > > or royalty free libraries. I used SmartSounds for my commercial videos.
    >
    > Along that line - has anyone put together some sort of licensing program
    for
    > using commercial music in event videos? Does anyone even know what that
    > would take to accomplish?

    I've spoken with BMI's chief counsel about this on an informal basis --
    specifically, I suggested a license for wedding videographers.
    Unfortunately, there was little interest in the proposal -- BMI's counsel
    didn't think there was a sufficient amount of money in it for BMI and the
    composers it represents to justify the infrastructure needed to administer
    it.

    In article <nANlc.60002$9z6.11696@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com>, "PTRAVEL"
    <ptravel@ruyitang.com> wrote:
    > > Along that line - has anyone put together some sort of licensing program
    > for
    > > using commercial music in event videos? Does anyone even know what that
    > > would take to accomplish?
    >
    > I've spoken with BMI's chief counsel about this on an informal basis --
    > specifically, I suggested a license for wedding videographers.
    > Unfortunately, there was little interest in the proposal -- BMI's counsel
    > didn't think there was a sufficient amount of money in it for BMI and the
    > composers it represents to justify the infrastructure needed to administer
    > it.

    Why should they? Event videos are commonly sold as a memento for home
    viewing, so performance rights wouldn't even apply in most cases.

    Harry Fox, on the other hand, specifically got out of handling sync rights
    for event and other small scale producers because it wasn't worth their
    effort.

    ---

    For those following this thread who aren't sure what we're talking about,
    the bottom line is that even though you might think putting some pop
    recording into your film would be good for the musicians and record
    company, AND you're willing to pay for it, it can still be next to
    impossible to do so without fear of being sued. They just don't care.

    For a basic explanation of the rights and what Fair Use means:
    http://dv.com/columns/columns_item.jhtml?category=Audio+Solutions&subGenre=&LookupId=/xml/feature/2003/rose0803

    For a follow-up on how you may be able to get rights for an indie film at
    reasonable cost, scroll to the bottom of:
    http://dv.com/features/features_item.jhtml?LookupId=/xml/feature/2003/rose1103

    (Free, non-spamming registration required.)

    Learn audio for video at www.dplay.com

    In article <4097D395.C7377092@hotmail.com>, clarkphotography@hotmail.com wrote:

    > ... let me play "devil's advocate" for a
    > second.
    >
    > Would you give the bride and groom a license to freely use your video in
    > other productions, to copy as they see fit with no further compensation
    > to you?

    Sure. That's pretty standard in a lot of things: corporate videos, buyout
    music, freelance journalism, -anything- you produce for the US
    Government...

    Learn audio for video at www.dplay.com

    Jay Rose CAS wrote:

    > In article <4097D395.C7377092@hotmail.com>, clarkphotography@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > ... let me play "devil's advocate" for a
    > > second.
    > >
    > > Would you give the bride and groom a license to freely use your video in
    > > other productions, to copy as they see fit with no further compensation
    > > to you?
    >
    > Sure. That's pretty standard in a lot of things: corporate videos, buyout
    > music, freelance journalism, -anything- you produce for the US
    > Government...

    OK. I'm coming from a "still" background where photographers seems to depend on
    reprint orders. I guess things are changing.

    BTW, keep writing those great articles.

    Yes. Do you really think we're going to have a problem with brides and
    grooms running around copying their wedding video for other people?

    I suppose you might look at this as an opportunity to charge the couple
    very large sums for additional copies of the video.

    Some people won't like this, but I think that over the long run (and the
    short run), it will make more sense for wedding videographers to price
    their work on the basis of time and effort involved, not proprietary
    ownership of any video they may have shot.

    You could start a battle to prevent married couples from burning extra
    copies of the DVD of their wedding that you gave them. You could-- and
    you would end up looking greedy, like the RIAA and MPAA. And you
    wouldn't be able to stop most people from doing it anyway.

    Why not go with the flow? Tell the couple that you are charging them
    for your expertise, your work, and your skill.

    I am pretty sure that any money you lose on not being able to squeeze
    them for extra copies will be made up for in goodwill, referrals, and
    the reputation of the entire industry.

    I think the film industry is not only greedy but working against their
    own self-interest. I predict that eventually they will price movies at
    about $10.00 each per DVD and they will discover that only a harmless
    minority of users have the time, inclination, or skill to bother
    downloading and copying movies.

    Some "genius" will finally realize that they should not only leave
    downloading alone-- they should set up web sites and provide users with
    free downloadable copies of most of the movies in their catalogues.
    They might be shocked to discover that Google-- a mere portal-- is
    suddenly worth $40 billion. And Google doesn't own a single piece of
    music or film.

    Did you know that when you download the "trial version" of one of the
    most powerful databases in the world-- Oracle-- you are actually
    downloading a fully functional, fully operational database server? You
    could install it at any company and run it for as long as you like.
    Oracle doesn't care. They figure that any reputable company will
    eventually buy it if they like it anyway. In the meantime, a lot of
    developers are learning how to use it, and support it, and recommend it
    to their employers.

    This is the new reality of the internet / computer age. We should all
    grow up and stop whining, for heaven's sake.

    Bill Van Dyk wrote:

    > Yes. Do you really think we're going to have a problem with brides and
    > grooms running around copying their wedding video for other people?
    >
    > I suppose you might look at this as an opportunity to charge the couple
    > very large sums for additional copies of the video.
    >
    > Some people won't like this, but I think that over the long run (and the
    > short run), it will make more sense for wedding videographers to price
    > their work on the basis of time and effort involved, not proprietary
    > ownership of any video they may have shot.
    >
    > You could start a battle to prevent married couples from burning extra
    > copies of the DVD of their wedding that you gave them. You could-- and
    > you would end up looking greedy, like the RIAA and MPAA. And you
    > wouldn't be able to stop most people from doing it anyway.
    >
    > Why not go with the flow? Tell the couple that you are charging them
    > for your expertise, your work, and your skill.
    >
    > I am pretty sure that any money you lose on not being able to squeeze
    > them for extra copies will be made up for in goodwill, referrals, and
    > the reputation of the entire industry.
    >
    > I think the film industry is not only greedy but working against their
    > own self-interest. I predict that eventually they will price movies at
    > about $10.00 each per DVD and they will discover that only a harmless
    > minority of users have the time, inclination, or skill to bother
    > downloading and copying movies.
    >
    > Some "genius" will finally realize that they should not only leave
    > downloading alone-- they should set up web sites and provide users with
    > free downloadable copies of most of the movies in their catalogues.
    > They might be shocked to discover that Google-- a mere portal-- is
    > suddenly worth $40 billion. And Google doesn't own a single piece of
    > music or film.
    >
    > Did you know that when you download the "trial version" of one of the
    > most powerful databases in the world-- Oracle-- you are actually
    > downloading a fully functional, fully operational database server? You
    > could install it at any company and run it for as long as you like.
    > Oracle doesn't care. They figure that any reputable company will
    > eventually buy it if they like it anyway. In the meantime, a lot of
    > developers are learning how to use it, and support it, and recommend it
    > to their employers.
    >
    > This is the new reality of the internet / computer age. We should all
    > grow up and stop whining, for heaven's sake.

    OK. Well, it seemed like a legitimate question.

    By the way, most people here frown on top-posting when replying. Just a word
    to the wise...

    "PTRAVEL" <ptravel@ruyitang.com> wrote
    > > Along that line - has anyone put together some sort of licensing program
    > for
    > > using commercial music in event videos? Does anyone even know what that
    > > would take to accomplish?
    >
    > I've spoken with BMI's chief counsel about this on an informal basis --
    > specifically, I suggested a license for wedding videographers.
    > Unfortunately, there was little interest in the proposal -- BMI's counsel
    > didn't think there was a sufficient amount of money in it for BMI and the
    > composers it represents to justify the infrastructure needed to administer
    > it.

    Doesn't England or Australia already have something like that in place?
    Seems to me that this has been posted here before - and the fees were very
    reasonable.
    Hopefully someone who does know will chime in.

    Mike

    "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

    > "PTRAVEL" <ptravel@ruyitang.com> wrote
    > > > Along that line - has anyone put together some sort of licensing
    program
    > > for
    > > > using commercial music in event videos? Does anyone even know what
    that
    > > > would take to accomplish?
    > >
    > > I've spoken with BMI's chief counsel about this on an informal basis --
    > > specifically, I suggested a license for wedding videographers.
    > > Unfortunately, there was little interest in the proposal -- BMI's
    counsel
    > > didn't think there was a sufficient amount of money in it for BMI and
    the
    > > composers it represents to justify the infrastructure needed to
    administer
    > > it.
    >

    > Doesn't England or Australia already have something like that in place?
    > Seems to me that this has been posted here before - and the fees were very
    > reasonable.
    > Hopefully someone who does know will chime in.

    I recall hearing the same thing. Unfortunately, I don't know the details.

    "Keith Clark" <clarkphotography@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > OK. I'm coming from a "still" background where photographers seems to
    depend on
    > reprint orders. I guess things are changing.

    Some still photogs try to get it both ways.

    They charge the client to do the shoot, which presumably pays for
    their time and materials, then they have the nerve to hold the film
    you just paid for and charge you high rates for prints. Seems
    to me they should get paid for one or the other, but not for both.

    David

    Okay-- I'm open minded. I've seen a number of notes and it baffles me.
    Isn't it easier to follow a thread if people top-post? I don't need to
    reread the previous messages over and over again when reading the
    "dialogue". I don't get the advantage of bottom-posting, which forces
    you to cursor down to the end of every message to read the new content.
    Is it really preferred by a majority here?

    > Okay-- I'm open minded. I've seen a number of notes and it baffles me.
    > Isn't it easier to follow a thread if people top-post? I don't need to
    > reread the previous messages over and over again when reading the
    > "dialogue". I don't get the advantage of bottom-posting, which forces
    > you to cursor down to the end of every message to read the new content.
    > Is it really preferred by a majority here?

    The problem with many bottom posting advocates is that they commit an even
    more serious offense that totally works against the bottom posting ideology
    that they evangalize. That is... the don't bother to snip and quote only
    the relevant points that they are responding to. So you sometimes get pages
    of quoted previous posts and a one line response. This IMO is far worse
    than any top posting offense. So as long as these people remain
    unenlightened as to the hypocrisy of their posting etiquette soapbox, they
    will foster the incorrigible will of the top posting masses.

Tuner Cards Video Desktops Music Graphics