What newsgroup with this question?

I have a number of sound files that I have converted to an Mpeg and
Wav format after capturing them from analog cassette tape. I am now
wondering if there is a player available that works/looks like a
cassette player bit plays digital files. As a lawyer sometime I will
want to play a portion of a tape and while it is a pain to
fast-forward and rewind to get to a spot at least I can hold my
portable Sony cassette player up t the mic so the whole courtroom can
hear the section in question.

I want to be able to do this with a digital player that can go to the
spot I want immediately by entering in the time spot on the tape where
the desired section is located.

Is there an audio type NG that deals with these types of discussions?

"John H. Power" wrote ...
> I have a number of sound files that I have converted to an Mpeg and
> Wav format after capturing them from analog cassette tape. I am now
> wondering if there is a player available that works/looks like a
> cassette player bit plays digital files. As a lawyer sometime I will
> want to play a portion of a tape and while it is a pain to
> fast-forward and rewind to get to a spot

There are lots of very portable MP3 players out there. Virtually
all of them will instantly cue to any point you have programmed,
and many will also slew (fast-forward or rewind) to arbitrary
locations.

> at least I can hold my
> portable Sony cassette player up t the mic so the whole courtroom can
> hear the section in question.

Alas the requirement for a built-in speaker may be the barrier here.

> I want to be able to do this with a digital player that can go to the
> spot I want immediately by entering in the time spot on the tape where
> the desired section is located.
>
> Is there an audio type NG that deals with these types of discussions?

news:rec.audio.pro (or news:rec.audio.tech) perhaps,
but portable digital recording/playback is discussed
a lot on news:rec.arts.movies.production.sound

On Mon, 3 May 2004 20:10:12 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
<rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:

>"John H. Power" wrote ...
>> I have a number of sound files that I have converted to an Mpeg and
>> Wav format after capturing them from analog cassette tape. I am now
>> wondering if there is a player available that works/looks like a
>> cassette player bit plays digital files. As a lawyer sometime I will
>> want to play a portion of a tape and while it is a pain to
>> fast-forward and rewind to get to a spot

This item may qualify for your application:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000DYTDJ/103-3642594-0596603?v=glance

You could organize your snippets of audio into separate files with the
included software and manage files on PC. Model # DM-20 has twice
the storage than this model for a few dollars more. I can testify to
the great audio playback quality.

Rich M.

rec.audio.pro

--Leonid