PAL to NTSC then burn to DVDR

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvdr (More info?)

Hi folks

I've got to send one of our cartoons to the USA on DVD-R.

It is currently on a Matrox Digisuite using Premiere 6.5 in PAL format
720x576 even field first.

My plan was to use After Effects to de-interlace, resize to 720x480
then reverse the field order and re-interlace it to a lower field
first DV-AVI then use that to create the DVD.

Has anyone else done this process before? Does it work? Is there a
better way? Once we create the DVD we can't really check here that it
will play OK on an NTSC system as we don't have an NTSC-only system
here. I'm particularly concerned about field order.

Cheers

--
Kevin Gleeson
Blue Rocket Productions

    Argggh - and of course, frame rate from 25 to 29.97

    Cheers

    --
    Kevin Gleeson
    Blue Rocket Productions

    It's tricky. I'd recommend looking for an AVISynth script that can repeat
    some fields here and there to produce 59.94 fields per second. It's
    something I've been looking at getting around to myself one of these days...
  3. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvdr (More info?)

    I had a PAL AVI file of 704x576 with Huffyuv compression. I captured with
    my capture card. This is the AVISynth script that I used to feed to TMPGenc
    encoder to encode in DVD NTSC compliant MPEG2:

    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AVISynth\SmoothDeinterlacer.dll")
    AVISource("source.avi")
    SeparateFields()
    Weave()
    # comment the below line if field order is wrong
    ComplementParity()
    SmoothDeinterlace(doublerate=true)
    LanczosResize(704,480)
    ChangeFPS(59.94)
    SeparateFields()
    SelectEvery(4,1,2)
    Weave()
    ConvertToRGB()

    --Leonid

    Kevin Gleeson <kevingleeson@imagine-it.com.au> wrote:
    : Hi folks

    : I've got to send one of our cartoons to the USA on DVD-R.

    : It is currently on a Matrox Digisuite using Premiere 6.5 in PAL format
    : 720x576 even field first.

    : My plan was to use After Effects to de-interlace, resize to 720x480
    : then reverse the field order and re-interlace it to a lower field
    : first DV-AVI then use that to create the DVD.

    : Has anyone else done this process before? Does it work? Is there a
    : better way? Once we create the DVD we can't really check here that it
    : will play OK on an NTSC system as we don't have an NTSC-only system
    : here. I'm particularly concerned about field order.

    : Cheers

    : --
    : Kevin Gleeson
    : Blue Rocket Productions
    : www.blue-rocket.com.au
    : www.hoota-snoz.com
  4. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvdr (More info?)

    tooo hard basket

    "Damien Evans" <guest@anon.com> wrote in message
    > It's tricky. I'd recommend looking for an AVISynth script that can repeat
    > some fields here and there to produce 59.94 fields per second. It's
    > something I've been looking at getting around to myself one of these
    days...

  5. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvdr (More info?)

    Kevin Gleeson <kevingleeson@imagine-it.com.au> wrote:
    : I've got to send one of our cartoons to the USA on DVD-R.

    For cartoons the latest script that I posted maybe fine for you. Your cartoons
    were originally recorded at 24fps.

    For what I'm doing the video was recorded originally with 29.97fps in Canada
    so that script is not working very well for me.

    --Leonid
  6. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvdr (More info?)

    It's starting to look that way :-)

    I've found a package that does a pretty good job, but it's about $500,
    but I think it's going to be the only way ....

    Cheers

    --
    Kevin Gleeson
    Blue Rocket Productions

    Hi Leonid

    This sounds interesting, but you've lost me a bit (not being a script
    bunny).

    Can you explain the AVIsynth bit - can this work in DV as opposed to
    mpeg?

    I've basically given up at the moment and am getting the conversion
    done via hardware on DVCPro tape, but am interested in future
    solutions.

    Cheers

    --
    Kevin Gleeson
    Blue Rocket Productions

    Kevin Gleeson <kevingleeson@imagine-it.com.au> wrote:
    : Hi Leonid

    : This sounds interesting, but you've lost me a bit (not being a script
    : bunny).
    : Can you explain the AVIsynth bit - can this work in DV as opposed to
    : mpeg?

    Well, DV is just an AVI with the DV codec. All you need to do is specify your
    file name of the source.

    I'm not an expert on AVISynth, but sometimes I use the very basic of it.
    For more info, please visit the page:
    http://www.geocities.com/xesdeeni2001/StandardsConversion/index.html

    Anyway, I just tried the following script:
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AVISynth\SmoothDeinterlacer.dll")
    AVISource("M:\Test.avi")
    ConvertToRGB32()
    SeparateFields()
    Weave()
    # comment the below line if field order is wrong
    # ComplementParity()
    SmoothDeinterlace(doublerate=true)
    ChangeFPS(50)
    LanczosResize(352,576)
    SeparateFields()
    SelectEvery(4,1,2)
    Weave()
    ConvertToRGB()

    To try to make a half D1 of PAL DVD (352/576), but I wasn't pleased with the
    results. I am x-ferring a hockey game where the motions are fast and on PAL
    TV I see double images - interlacing artifacts. I e-mailed the author of the
    page ('cause basically I borrowed the whole code from him). See what he can
    answer.

    : I've basically given up at the moment and am getting the conversion
    : done via hardware on DVCPro tape, but am interested in future
    : solutions.

    Try this AVISynth. It maybe very useful.

    --Leonid
  9. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvdr (More info?)

    Kevin,
    disregard my previous 2 posts regarding the hockey video. There was another
    post where the guy wanted to convert NTSC to PAL. And I thought that's what
    you wanted. For PAL to NTSC, just use the script I originally provided at
    the bottom. It should suit you very well. Just change this line from:
    LanczosResize(704,480) to LanczosResize(720,480).

    --Leonid

    : Leonid Makarovsky <venom@cs.bu.edu> wrote:

    :>I had a PAL AVI file of 704x576 with Huffyuv compression. I captured with
    :>my capture card. This is the AVISynth script that I used to feed to TMPGenc
    :>encoder to encode in DVD NTSC compliant MPEG2:
    :>
[...]
    :>: --
    :>: Kevin Gleeson
    :>: Blue Rocket Productions
    :>: www.blue-rocket.com.au
    :>: www.hoota-snoz.com

    : --
    : Kevin Gleeson
    : Blue Rocket Productions
    : www.blue-rocket.com.au
    : www.hoota-snoz.com
  10. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvdr (More info?)

    Thanks Leonid - I'll check it out.

    --
    Kevin Gleeson
    Blue Rocket Productions

    Leonid Makarovsky <venom@cs.bu.edu> wrote:

    >Kevin Gleeson <kevingleeson@imagine-it.com.au> wrote:
    >: I've got to send one of our cartoons to the USA on DVD-R.
    >
    >For cartoons the latest script that I posted maybe fine for you. Your cartoons
    >were originally recorded at 24fps.

    No - they are ones we produce ourselves at 25i

    I've been looking at the AVIsynth page you sent, interesting stuff.

    Cheers

    --
    Kevin Gleeson
    Blue Rocket Productions

    Kevin Gleeson <kevingleeson@imagine-it.com.au> wrote:
    : No - they are ones we produce ourselves at 25i

    : I've been looking at the AVIsynth page you sent, interesting stuff.

    Again, make sure you get the right script which is PAL to NTSC and not the
    vice versa. Again sorry for mix up.

    --Leonid
  13. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvdr (More info?)

    On Wed, 05 May 2004 11:17:43 +1000, Kevin Gleeson
    <kevingleeson@imagine-it.com.au> wrote:

    >Leonid Makarovsky <venom@cs.bu.edu> wrote:
    >
    >>Kevin Gleeson <kevingleeson@imagine-it.com.au> wrote:
    >>: I've got to send one of our cartoons to the USA on DVD-R.
    >>
    >>For cartoons the latest script that I posted maybe fine for you. Your cartoons
    >>were originally recorded at 24fps.
    >
    >No - they are ones we produce ourselves at 25i
    >
    >I've been looking at the AVIsynth page you sent, interesting stuff.

    You might want to consider deinterlacing them, resizing to
    720x480, then slowing the frame rate down to 24 fps and encoding the
    MPEG with the 3:2 pulldown flag enabled. You'll get much clearer
    video, without any of the ghosting seen in PAL to NTSC conversions.
    The trick is whether or not the 4% speed difference will matter to
    you. This can all be done via AVISynth.

    Of course, pretty much ANYTHING can be done via AVISynth.

    Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
    I have no fears in life,
    for I have already survived Theta-G!
  14. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvdr (More info?)

    Kevin Gleeson <kevingleeson@imagine-it.com.au> wrote in

    > Hi folks
    >
    > I've got to send one of our cartoons to the USA on DVD-R.
    >
    > It is currently on a Matrox Digisuite using Premiere 6.5 in PAL format
    > 720x576 even field first.
    >
    > My plan was to use After Effects to de-interlace, resize to 720x480
    > then reverse the field order and re-interlace it to a lower field
    > first DV-AVI then use that to create the DVD.
    >
    > Has anyone else done this process before? Does it work? Is there a
    > better way? Once we create the DVD we can't really check here that it
    > will play OK on an NTSC system as we don't have an NTSC-only system
    > here. I'm particularly concerned about field order.
    >
    > Cheers
    >

    > --
    > Kevin Gleeson
    > Blue Rocket Productions
    > www.blue-rocket.com.au
    > www.hoota-snoz.com

    You probably checked this already but are you sure you need to convert
    it to NTSC. I live in the US & both of my players, all my family's &
    friends players will play both formats.

    Just a thought.

    Tmana
  15. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvdr (More info?)

    Tmana <Tmana@noway.com> wrote in

    > Kevin Gleeson <kevingleeson@imagine-it.com.au> wrote in
    >
    >> Hi folks
    >>
    >> I've got to send one of our cartoons to the USA on DVD-R.
    >>
    >> It is currently on a Matrox Digisuite using Premiere 6.5 in PAL
    >> format 720x576 even field first.
    >>
    >> My plan was to use After Effects to de-interlace, resize to
    >> 720x480 then reverse the field order and re-interlace it to a
    >> lower field first DV-AVI then use that to create the DVD.
    >>
    >> Has anyone else done this process before? Does it work? Is there
    >> a better way? Once we create the DVD we can't really check here
    >> that it will play OK on an NTSC system as we don't have an
    >> NTSC-only system here. I'm particularly concerned about field
    >> order.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>

    >> --
    >> Kevin Gleeson
    >> Blue Rocket Productions
    >> www.blue-rocket.com.au
    >> www.hoota-snoz.com
    >>

    > You probably checked this already but are you sure you need to
    > convert it to NTSC. I live in the US & both of my players, all my
    > family's & friends players will play both formats.
    >
    > Just a thought.
    >
    > Tmana

    Many US players will play PAL, but many won't.

    In my house, only the cheap players have worked with PAL. And I have
    used region 0 and re-regioned DVDs for my tests...

    I have no idea of what the percentage of PAL players is, which of
    course is no surprise :-)

    Gino

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
    Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com

    Tmana <Tmana@noway.com> wrote:

    >Kevin Gleeson <kevingleeson@imagine-it.com.au> wrote in
    >
    >> Hi folks
    >>
    >> I've got to send one of our cartoons to the USA on DVD-R.
    >>
    >> It is currently on a Matrox Digisuite using Premiere 6.5 in PAL format
    >> 720x576 even field first.
    >>
    >> My plan was to use After Effects to de-interlace, resize to 720x480
    >> then reverse the field order and re-interlace it to a lower field
    >> first DV-AVI then use that to create the DVD.
    >>
    >> Has anyone else done this process before? Does it work? Is there a
    >> better way? Once we create the DVD we can't really check here that it
    >> will play OK on an NTSC system as we don't have an NTSC-only system
    >> here. I'm particularly concerned about field order.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>

    >You probably checked this already but are you sure you need to convert
    >it to NTSC. I live in the US & both of my players, all my family's &
    >friends players will play both formats.
    >
    >Just a thought.
    >
    >Tmana

    Thanks

    In Australia and Europe pretty much all players will convert. But from
    research it seems that the reverse isn't true for US. It's probably in
    the stages of changing, but I just want to be sure that it will be
    playable straight off, the job is too important to stuff up.

    Cheers

    --
    Kevin Gleeson
    Blue Rocket Productions

    On Thu, 06 May 2004 09:16:03 +1000, Kevin Gleeson
    <kevingleeson@imagine-it.com.au> wrote:

    >In Australia and Europe pretty much all players will convert. But from
    >research it seems that the reverse isn't true for US. It's probably in
    >the stages of changing, but I just want to be sure that it will be
    >playable straight off, the job is too important to stuff up.

    You know, I just realized something: probably the most direct
    way to do a decent PAL to NTSC MPEG encoding is to buy a copy of
    Canopus Procoder. It has an encoding template for doing standards
    conversion. You just have to be willing to pay the rather steep price
    for an admitedly excellent encoder.

    Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
    I have no fears in life,
    for I have already survived Theta-G!
  18. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvdr (More info?)

    Neil Nadelman <arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)> wrote:

    >On Thu, 06 May 2004 09:16:03 +1000, Kevin Gleeson
    ><kevingleeson@imagine-it.com.au> wrote:
    >
    >>In Australia and Europe pretty much all players will convert. But from
    >>research it seems that the reverse isn't true for US. It's probably in
    >>the stages of changing, but I just want to be sure that it will be
    >>playable straight off, the job is too important to stuff up.
    >

    > You know, I just realized something: probably the most direct
    >way to do a decent PAL to NTSC MPEG encoding is to buy a copy of
    >Canopus Procoder. It has an encoding template for doing standards
    >conversion. You just have to be willing to pay the rather steep price
    >for an admitedly excellent encoder.

    I had a look at a demo of AVOne Pro which was around US$300 and wasn't
    really impressed with the quality of the output. Will check out
    Canopus though.

    Cheers

    --
    Kevin Gleeson
    Blue Rocket Productions

Tuner Cards Video Burner DVD Writers Graphics