Media Studio Pro 7 - recording a brighter picture

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

I always seem to have a dark picture when recording a video from
television. If I brighten the picture using one of the filters then
the quality will be reduced and the rendering takes longer.

I feed the video directly into a analog to video converter (ADVC-100)
and to the firewire card.

If there any way of brighting the picture as the video is being
recorded into ULead Media Studio Pro?

Regards Brian

Brian wrote:
> I always seem to have a dark picture when recording a video
> from television. If I brighten the picture using one of the
> filters then the quality will be reduced and the rendering
> takes longer.
>
> I feed the video directly into a analog to video converter
> (ADVC-100) and to the firewire card.
>
> If there any way of brighting the picture as the video is
> being recorded into ULead Media Studio Pro?
>
> Regards Brian

I presume you are writing about what the pic looks like on your
PC monitor?
If you NEVER intend to play the capture on a TV, then perhaps
brightening at capture time would be worthwhile. I seriously
doubt this is the case, tho.

One really nice way to view your stream, to make these
decisions, is on the TV you would most likely use to play them
in the future. This is a device I picked up some years ago
http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/PC-TV_video_adapter.html so
I do not know what the price is like today (less than US$100
then).

PC monitors are darker than TV displays (and personally the MAG
TFT flat screen is way darker than other monitors I've used).
If I want to watch something on the PC monitor, for some
perverted reason, I use the decoder to tweak the playback
settings. No extra time involved.

BJ

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

You would have to use some sort of external video conditioning box before it
hits the ADVC-100.

:
: I feed the video directly into a analog to video converter (ADVC-100)
: and to the firewire card.
:
: If there any way of brighting the picture as the video is being
: recorded into ULead Media Studio Pro?
:
: Regards Brian

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

"Brian" wrote ...
> I always seem to have a dark picture when recording a video
> from television.

Are you judging the picture on your computer monitor, or on
a TV monitor? The picture will always look "darker" on a
computer monitor because of the significant difference in the
gamma between the two displays.

You cannot reliably judge contrast, brightness (and sometimes
even color) on your computer monitor. You must export the
video and view it on a real TV receiver/monitor.

OTOH, if you are creating the video to view exclusively on
computers, then you should consider goosing the gamma, but
as you say, that will considerably increase your rendering time.

"Billy Joe" <see.sig@invalid.org> wrote:

>Brian wrote:
>> I always seem to have a dark picture when recording a video
>> from television. If I brighten the picture using one of the
>> filters then the quality will be reduced and the rendering
>> takes longer.
>>
>> I feed the video directly into a analog to video converter
>> (ADVC-100) and to the firewire card.
>>
>> If there any way of brighting the picture as the video is
>> being recorded into ULead Media Studio Pro?
>>
>> Regards Brian
>
>I presume you are writing about what the pic looks like on your
>PC monitor?
>If you NEVER intend to play the capture on a TV, then perhaps
>brightening at capture time would be worthwhile. I seriously
>doubt this is the case, tho.
>
>One really nice way to view your stream, to make these
>decisions, is on the TV you would most likely use to play them
>in the future. This is a device I picked up some years ago
>http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/PC-TV_video_adapter.html so
>I do not know what the price is like today (less than US$100
>then).
>
>PC monitors are darker than TV displays (and personally the MAG
>TFT flat screen is way darker than other monitors I've used).
>If I want to watch something on the PC monitor, for some
>perverted reason, I use the decoder to tweak the playback
>settings. No extra time involved.
>
>BJ

Thanks Billy for your reply.
I have created a DVD video from the video and played it on the TV and
it still looks dark. There is a small improvement.
I have an old style 17 inch monitor (not a thin monitor).

Just to make sure I'm not being mislead in my judgement I'll record a
few minutes of TV and take notice of the amount of brightness on the
live TV broardcast. Then playback the recorded DVD on the same TV and
see if the picture has the same amount of brightness.

"Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:

>"Brian" wrote ...
>> I always seem to have a dark picture when recording a video
>> from television.
>
>Are you judging the picture on your computer monitor, or on
>a TV monitor? The picture will always look "darker" on a
>computer monitor because of the significant difference in the
>gamma between the two displays.
>
>You cannot reliably judge contrast, brightness (and sometimes
>even color) on your computer monitor. You must export the
>video and view it on a real TV receiver/monitor.
>
>OTOH, if you are creating the video to view exclusively on
>computers, then you should consider goosing the gamma, but
>as you say, that will considerably increase your rendering time.

Thanks Richard.
I played back the original video and a brightened version of the
ordinal video on tv (after recording to DVD) and the brightened
version was easy to see compared to the flat dark version.
I'm going to look closely at the brightness of the picture next time I
record from TV to make sure the picture was not dark originally.

Regards Brian