NTSC to PAL conversion

cory

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

I have a video that I am currently editing in NTSC but I will be needing to
make a PAL version too. Before going to work to make a PAL copy of my video,
I was just wondering what would happen if I played an NSTC video on a PAL
system, as in, doing no conversion at all. What would happen to the video,
or would it even play at all?
If I DO end up having to convert it, what is the easiest method? I've
checked out videohelp.com and found a process that seems a lot harder than
it should be. Are there certain required steps? I know about the framerate
and screen size. Would it work to just crop my video and adjust the
framerate to 25fps? Anything else I need to worry about? And I would be
able to use normal TDK VHS tapes too, right?
Thanks.
//cory

Hi Cory,

I converted an NTSC-video using Avisyth and a script I found on the net
(don't remember it right now, but I can look it up). All this software
is freeware.

What you need to know is the framerate of your original file (either
23.xxx or 29.xxx) and the script will do the rest.

I went through the following steps

1) save the video to disc (media --> computer)
2) convert ntsc --> pal (software)
3) reencode the result into mpeg2 (software)
4) save it to DVD (computer --> media)

Whether or not you are able to view NTSC tapes on a PAL recorder depends
on your (PAL) recorder. Some can do some don't (you have to read the
instruction of the recorder).

As soon as you have the video on your computer the software does not
care which format it is.

Best regards

Andreas

On Mon, 3 May 2004 23:52:08 -0700, "Cory" <here@there.com> wrote:

>I have a video that I am currently editing in NTSC but I will be needing to
>make a PAL version too. Before going to work to make a PAL copy of my video,
>I was just wondering what would happen if I played an NSTC video on a PAL
>system, as in, doing no conversion at all.

If it's for Europe, you can spare yourself the effort, as most -nay,
perhaps all- of the systems sold in Europe play NTSC fine.

Do you really need to convert? Most PAL players these days will play both.

"Cory" <here@there.com> wrote in message
: I have a video that I am currently editing in NTSC but I will be needing
: make a PAL version too. Before going to work to make a PAL copy of my
video,
: I was just wondering what would happen if I played an NSTC video on a PAL
: system, as in, doing no conversion at all. What would happen to the video,
: or would it even play at all?
: If I DO end up having to convert it, what is the easiest method? I've
: checked out videohelp.com and found a process that seems a lot harder than
: it should be. Are there certain required steps? I know about the framerate
: and screen size. Would it work to just crop my video and adjust the
: framerate to 25fps? Anything else I need to worry about? And I would be
: able to use normal TDK VHS tapes too, right?
: Thanks.
: //cory
:
:

cory

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

> Do you really need to convert? Most PAL players these days will play both.

Good to know. By the way, what areas does PAL cover and is NTSC everywhere
else?
//cory

In article <tqqe901550nf99c502jtrm4vi4f1vq3tl7@4ax.com>, Bariloche
<bariloche@bariloche.com> writes
>On Mon, 3 May 2004 23:52:08 -0700, "Cory" <here@there.com> wrote:
>
>>I have a video that I am currently editing in NTSC but I will be needing to
>>make a PAL version too. Before going to work to make a PAL copy of my video,
>>I was just wondering what would happen if I played an NSTC video on a PAL
>>system, as in, doing no conversion at all.
>
>If it's for Europe, you can spare yourself the effort, as most -nay,
>perhaps all- of the systems sold in Europe play NTSC fine.

Welll.... most recent European PAL VCRs will play NTSC (in a rather
dodgy way), however there are many older VCRs still in use which will
not. Some TVs will not accept the resulting "PAL-525" signal either.

If your tape is aimed at a small number of people you could check if
they can play NTSC tapes. Otherwise you can't rely on it & should
produce a PAL version.
--
Tim Mitchell

"Cory" <here@there.com> wrote:

>I have a video that I am currently editing in NTSC but I will be needing to
>make a PAL version too. Before going to work to make a PAL copy of my video,
>I was just wondering what would happen if I played an NSTC video on a PAL
>system, as in, doing no conversion at all. What would happen to the video,
>or would it even play at all?
>If I DO end up having to convert it, what is the easiest method? I've
>checked out videohelp.com and found a process that seems a lot harder than
>it should be. Are there certain required steps? I know about the framerate
>and screen size. Would it work to just crop my video and adjust the
>framerate to 25fps? Anything else I need to worry about? And I would be
>able to use normal TDK VHS tapes too, right?
>Thanks.
>//cory

Hiya

I'm having same issues in the reverse direction.

Starting to find a bit of information on it and it ain't a fun
process.

http://tinyurl.com/338bs
seems to be the most helpful but is specific to Adobe After Effects.
But it will give you an insight into the processes needed.

Cheers

--
Kevin Gleeson
Blue Rocket Productions

Jim

Bad URL

>http://tinyurl.com/338bs
>seems to be the most helpful but is specific to Adobe After Effects.
>But it will give you an insight into the processes needed.
>
>Cheers

I need to convert an NTSC AVI to PAL DVD. I'll try this AVISynth script:
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AVISynth\SmoothDeinterlacer.dll")
AVISource("source.avi")
SeparateFields()
Weave()
# comment the below line if field order is wrong
ComplementParity()
SmoothDeinterlace(doublerate=true)
LanczosResize(704,576)
ChangeFPS(50)
SeparateFields()
SelectEvery(4,1,2)
Weave()
ConvertToRGB()

I don't know whether it's going to work or not. I'll try. You may want to
change 704 to 720. Mine is staying 704.

--Leonid

Cory <here@there.com> wrote:
: I have a video that I am currently editing in NTSC but I will be needing to
: make a PAL version too. Before going to work to make a PAL copy of my video,
: I was just wondering what would happen if I played an NSTC video on a PAL
: system, as in, doing no conversion at all. What would happen to the video,
: or would it even play at all?
: If I DO end up having to convert it, what is the easiest method? I've
: checked out videohelp.com and found a process that seems a lot harder than
: it should be. Are there certain required steps? I know about the framerate
: and screen size. Would it work to just crop my video and adjust the
: framerate to 25fps? Anything else I need to worry about? And I would be
: able to use normal TDK VHS tapes too, right?
: Thanks.
: //cory

What script did you use?

I just tried the following script:
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AVISynth\SmoothDeinterlacer.dll")
AVISource("M:\virtualdub.vdr")
ConvertToRGB32()
SeparateFields()
Weave()
# comment the below line if field order is wrong
# ComplementParity()
SmoothDeinterlace(doublerate=true)
ChangeFPS(50)
LanczosResize(704,576)
SeparateFields()
SelectEvery(4,1,2)
Weave()
ConvertToRGB()

and I didn't get good results. I converted a hockey game from NTSC to PAL.

--Leonid

: Cory wrote:
:> I have a video that I am currently editing in NTSC but I will be needing to
:> make a PAL version too. Before going to work to make a PAL copy of my video,
:> I was just wondering what would happen if I played an NSTC video on a PAL
:> system, as in, doing no conversion at all. What would happen to the video,
:> or would it even play at all?
:> If I DO end up having to convert it, what is the easiest method? I've
:> checked out videohelp.com and found a process that seems a lot harder than
:> it should be. Are there certain required steps? I know about the framerate
:> and screen size. Would it work to just crop my video and adjust the
:> framerate to 25fps? Anything else I need to worry about? And I would be
:> able to use normal TDK VHS tapes too, right?
:> Thanks.
:> //cory
:>
:>

Cory <here@there.com> wrote:
: If I DO end up having to convert it, what is the easiest method? I've

I don't know about the easiest, but I just figured the right method.
If you have an NTSC 29.97 AVI file with Top field (A) first, this is what you
do. Go to http://www.avisynth.org/warpenterprises
and download AviSynth_2.53 at sourceforge.

Then on that same page download SmoothDeinterlacer
(smoothdeinterlacer_25_dll_20030218). Place these to file in AVISynth's plugin
directory.

Suppose your file is called Test.avi.

Make the new file called NTSC2PAL.avs which has the following lines of code:
AVISource("Test.avi")
ConvertToYUY2()
#ConvertToRGB32()
SeparateFields()
Weave()
# comment the below line if field order is wrong
ComplementParity()
SmoothDeinterlace(doublerate=true)
ConvertFPS(50)
LanczosResize(720,576)
SeparateFields()
SelectEvery(4,0,3)
Weave()
ConvertToRGB()

It will give you the interlaced PAL AVI file with Top field first.
I have the file I got from NTSC VHS using capture card. I just fed this script
to TMPGenc and ran resulting MPEG2 on my PAL TV out. The result was just
amazing!!!!

--Leonid

Leonid Makarovsky <venom@cs.bu.edu> wrote:
: Then on that same page download SmoothDeinterlacer
: (smoothdeinterlacer_25_dll_20030218). Place these to file in AVISynth's plugin
: directory.

I meant to say:
place these 2 files (SmoothDeinterlacer.dll and SmoothDeinterlacer.txt) in
AVISynth's plugin directory. In my case it would be:
C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins

--Leonid