PAL Playback on NTSC DVD Players

Do the DVD players sold in the US play PAL (Convert) video into a NTSC TV?
Thanks

In article <OsLlc.313$XI4.11617@news.xtra.co.nz>,
Peter Bennett <a.p.bennett(REMOVE)@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>Do the DVD players sold in the US play PAL (Convert) video into a NTSC TV?

Usually they won't even play the PAL disc at all; much less convert to
another video system. Many minor-brand Chinese players do, however; as
well as those imported from countries where such capability is common or
able to be added/enabled.

<posted & mailed>

Peter Bennett wrote:

> Do the DVD players sold in the US play PAL (Convert) video into a NTSC TV?
> Thanks

Some do, some don't. These days, it's about 50-50. My Pioneer, for example,
plays back PAL DVDs just superbly.

Most players technically have the ability to do it, but often have it
disabled as part of the region-code enforcement. If you don't have a
region-free player, chances are there exists a hack to make it region-free
and that will enable the playback of different video formats (this is
precisely what I did with my player).

--
remove .spam from address to reply by e-mail.

"Peter Bennett" wrote ...
> Do the DVD players sold in the US play PAL (Convert)
> video into a NTSC TV?

Since there are no Region 1 disks released in PAL what would
the point be? Besides, PAL functionality is quite rare in North
American equipment (contrasted with NTSC functionality in
European equipment).

Of course some of the cheap Chinese DVD players ("Apex" et.al.
in North America) are popular for their ability to play anything
(regions, video standards, disk formats, etc.)

> "Peter Bennett" wrote ...
> > Do the DVD players sold in the US play PAL (Convert)
> > video into a NTSC TV?
>
> Since there are no Region 1 disks released in PAL what would
> the point be?
To be able to view a PAL ( Pay as you Add Luxury) encoded region free
wedding DVD on a NTSC (Never Twice the Same Colour) TV..
Besides, PAL functionality is quite rare in North
> American equipment (contrasted with NTSC functionality in
> European equipment).
Yes we have the best of both worlds
> Of course some of the cheap Chinese DVD players ("Apex" et.al.
> in North America) are popular for their ability to play anything
> (regions, video standards, disk formats, etc.)

For some reason my answer did not show on the last post

> "Peter Bennett" wrote ...
> > Do the DVD players sold in the US play PAL (Convert)
> > video into a NTSC TV?
>
> Since there are no Region 1 disks released in PAL what would
> the point be?

To be able to view a region free PAL encoded Wedding DVD on a NTSC TV

"Peter Bennett" <a.p.bennett(REMOVE)@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> For some reason my answer did not show on the last post
>
> "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message
> > "Peter Bennett" wrote ...
> > > Do the DVD players sold in the US play PAL (Convert)
> > > video into a NTSC TV?
> >
> > Since there are no Region 1 disks released in PAL what would
> > the point be?
>
> To be able to view a region free PAL encoded Wedding
> DVD on a NTSC TV

Ah, now I see your problem. You assume that manufactureres of
consumer goods give a fat flying rip about the ability to exchange
home-made DVDs. (Or underestimate the xenophobia of the
USians. :)

I get DVDs, burned on a PAL system, and they run fine (Power DVD 4.0 XP),
except everyone looks fat. Picture is vertically a little bit squashed!
Fred

> "Peter Bennett" <a.p.bennett(REMOVE)@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> > For some reason my answer did not show on the last post
> >
> > "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message
> > > "Peter Bennett" wrote ...
> > >
> > > Since there are no Region 1 disks released in PAL what would
> > > the point be?
> >
> > To be able to view a region free PAL encoded Wedding
> > DVD on a NTSC TV
>
> Ah, now I see your problem. You assume that manufactureres of
> consumer goods give a fat flying rip about the ability to exchange
> home-made DVDs. (Or underestimate the xenophobia of the
> USians. :)

"Ingeborg Mann" wrote ...
> I get DVDs, burned on a PAL system, and they run fine
> (Power DVD 4.0 XP), except everyone looks fat. Picture
> is vertically a little bit squashed!

Software-based players are virtually always more capable of
playing different kinds of disks than set-top hardware boxes are.

Of course if you are sending video to someone who will be
playing it back on a computer, you aren't limited to video standards
like PAL or NTSC. There are plenty of computer-based formats
that are universal.