Image size with Sony digital cameras

I have a Sony DSC-P41 digital camera with a 128MB memory stick. Been
using it for about a month now. Up until now, I've had the image size set
at the lowest level: VGA (Fine). However, I've frequently been disappointed
with the picture quality at that size and just now changed it to 1M (Fine).

I'm curious to know what image size other users of this camera and
similar Sony models use?

Regardles of the camera, I use the best resolution I can get and then play
with the compression to suit my memory space. The request for more
resolution always happens on the computer after the shot is far away and
it's too late. JPeg compression is not noticable unless you use a microscope
on the more compressed modes. Jpg does not have to lose any resolution or
detail at all. That is not what compression does.

"HistoryFan" <IreallyHATEspam@IreallyHATEspam.com> wrote in message
> I have a Sony DSC-P41 digital camera with a 128MB memory stick.
Been
> using it for about a month now. Up until now, I've had the image size set
> at the lowest level: VGA (Fine). However, I've frequently been
disappointed
> with the picture quality at that size and just now changed it to 1M
(Fine).

> I'm curious to know what image size other users of this camera and
> similar Sony models use?

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 20:40:49 GMT, "HistoryFan"
<IreallyHATEspam@IreallyHATEspam.com> found these unused words floating
about:

> I have a Sony DSC-P41 digital camera with a 128MB memory stick. Been
>using it for about a month now. Up until now, I've had the image size set
>at the lowest level: VGA (Fine). However, I've frequently been disappointed
>with the picture quality at that size and just now changed it to 1M (Fine).
>
> I'm curious to know what image size other users of this camera and
>similar Sony models use?

Always the highest res and best quality unless you're taking for a very
specific purpose. You can always down sample, but never gain what you didn't
store in the first place.

One would have to ask - why did you buy a 4Mp camera? I don't mean to
be rude, but the reason most folk get a 4Mp camera is that it gives
you the ability to print images up to 11" x 8" at good quality. If
all you want is VGA images, you could have bought a $50 elcheapo.

The thing is, if you take a good shot and you have the camera set at
VGA or even 1Mp, that's it - if you ever want to print it large,
tough. If however you took it at full resolution (in your case 4Mp)
you can print it small, resize it downwards to view it on screen, OR
print it large.

The only reasons that I can think of to use lower than the native
resolution are:

- you are CERTAIN that you will never want to print the images large
and are perfectly happy with the quality

- storage limitations (or memory limitations on your computer)

I would imagine if you set the JPG compression to low (or 'standard' I
think), then you will get 100 or more images on your memory card at
4Mp - offload them to your computer, and then off you go again. And
given that memory cards, and memory on your computer, are NOT that
expensive...

On 14 Nov 2004 00:58:50 -0800, chrlz@go.com (Chrlz) found these unused words
floating about:

>I would imagine if you set the JPG compression to low (or 'standard' I
>think), then you will get 100 or more images on your memory card at
>4Mp - offload them to your computer, and then off you go again. And
>given that memory cards, and memory on your computer, are NOT that
>expensive...

Don't ... either 'imagine' or do this!

Fine or Very fine are the compressions, otw just use the next lower pixel
resolution. The artifacts are far worse than fewer pixels!

Yes . Memory parameters have definitely changed and they do every week now.

"Chrlz" <chrlz@go.com> wrote in message
> One would have to ask - why did you buy a 4Mp camera? I don't mean to
> be rude, but the reason most folk get a 4Mp camera is that it gives
> you the ability to print images up to 11" x 8" at good quality. If
> all you want is VGA images, you could have bought a $50 elcheapo.
>
> The thing is, if you take a good shot and you have the camera set at
> VGA or even 1Mp, that's it - if you ever want to print it large,
> tough. If however you took it at full resolution (in your case 4Mp)
> you can print it small, resize it downwards to view it on screen, OR
> print it large.
>
> The only reasons that I can think of to use lower than the native
> resolution are:
>
> - you are CERTAIN that you will never want to print the images large
> and are perfectly happy with the quality
>
> - storage limitations (or memory limitations on your computer)
>
> I would imagine if you set the JPG compression to low (or 'standard' I
> think), then you will get 100 or more images on your memory card at
> 4Mp - offload them to your computer, and then off you go again. And
> given that memory cards, and memory on your computer, are NOT that
> expensive...

Compression does ***NOT*** reduce quality. Compression, by itself, only
eliminates repeating of patterns that are not needed. Upon decompression the
exact same image with the exact same bits are reproduced.

Only lossy compression techniques will throw away certain
resolution/qualities of an image.

"Gymmy Bob" <nospamming@bite.me> wrote in message news:<JOOdnfxKnIzEQQrcRVn-iA@golden.net>...
> Compression does ***NOT*** reduce quality.

?? Are you suggesting that there is some sort of lossless compression
available on your typical consumer camera? If we are talking about
compression on a digicam, we are talking about JPEG compression. JPEG
compression is LOSSY compression. In other words, as you said
yourself, 'lossy compression techniques will throw away certain
resolution/qualities of an image'. Actually, JPEG compression works
on the basis of breaking an image up into 8x8 blocks, and then using
various algorithms to mimic the original image. Even at 100% quality
(or 'Fine' as Sony calls it), the JPG file is of slightly less quality
than a TIF.

> Compression, by itself, only
> eliminates repeating of patterns that are not needed.

No. That is how compression works with ZIP files and certain TIFF
files, but it is NOT correct as it applies to JPG files. I suggest
you do some research on how JPG compression works. It is quite
different.

> Upon decompression the
> exact same image with the exact same bits are reproduced.

It is when the file is saved as a JPEG file, that there are losses of
quality. If you don't believe that, try setting the quality down to
say 50%, and then compare the saved file to the original. (At 100%
quality, the file is ALMOST indistinguishable from the original and
will require very close examination to spot any differences, but they
ARE there.) If you re-open a JPEG file, make small changes and then
resave it at the SAME quality level, you generally will not get any
*further* degradation in unedited areas.

> Only lossy compression techniques will throw away certain
> resolution/qualities of an image.

Which is what JPG files are. JPEG compression, as used for digital
camera image files, is LOSSY. (There *are* forms of JPEG compression
that are lossless but they are NOT used in the type of digital cameras
discussed here.)

On recent Sony cameras, FINE quality level means a JPG of around 100%
quality. My guess is that STANDARD is somewhere around 85%-90%,
possibly with a small added 'smoothing' factor. Most folk will
struggle to spot the difference between them unless enlarged and
closely inspected. But they are different.

> > >I would imagine if you set the JPG compression to low (or 'standard' I
> > >think), then you will get 100 or more images on your memory card at
> > >4Mp - offload them to your computer, and then off you go again. And
> > >given that memory cards, and memory on your computer, are NOT that
> > >expensive...
> >
> > Don't ... either 'imagine' or do this!
> >
> > Fine or Very fine are the compressions, otw just use the next lower pixel
> > resolution. The artifacts are far worse than fewer pixels!

Firstly, are you sure about this? On my Sony, FINE means highest JPG
quality, and STANDARD means lower JPG quality. It has the actual
numbers for the pixel count/resolution, eg 5Mp, 3Mp, etc, and it does
NOT use the words Fine/Very Fine for resolution.

Secondly, as I mentioned above, the JPG artefacting, even at the lower
('Standard') compression level, is almost undetectable. JPG artefacts
do not get worse as you increase the size of the image, say for
printing, but of course there comes a point when you simply do not
have enough pixels-per-inch and the image 'pixellates' - also known as
Game Over. That seems to be the issue referred to in the OP.

So I stick to my comments..

I have a F717 and always shoot at the highest RES that cam will do. I can
always resize the PIC with SW but making the PIC bigger is not an option
when you have a small PIC.

Seymore...
www.SonyCams.com
Sony F717 / TRV70
Nikon N90s, Nikon FM2, SB22 Speed-Light Flash
Nikkor MF 50mm 1.4/f16 -- AF 24-50mm 3.3-4.5/f22
Nikkor AF 60mm 2.8/f32 -- AF 35-135mm 3.5-4.5/f22
Tokina SZ-X 80-200mm 4.5-5.6/f32 -- AT-X 100-300mm 4/f32
remove "REMOVE" to reply directly

"HistoryFan" <IreallyHATEspam@IreallyHATEspam.com> wrote in message
> I have a Sony DSC-P41 digital camera with a 128MB memory stick.
Been
> using it for about a month now. Up until now, I've had the image size
set
> at the lowest level: VGA (Fine). However, I've frequently been
disappointed
> with the picture quality at that size and just now changed it to 1M
(Fine).

> I'm curious to know what image size other users of this camera and
> similar Sony models use?

A lot of the technical talk on this thread is beyond my knowledge, but
I do know that when I let Outlook Express reduce a digital camera JPEG
image, there is a slight reduction in picture quality. Not much, but
noticeable if you carefully study the image.

Ummmm..... JPEG, JPG is a LOSSY compression.
Just opening and resaving a JPG will lose minute detail each time it's done
even without changing anything on/to the pic.

--
Ric Seyler