interlace effect on captured DV data by Premiere Pro

I see interlace effect on videos that Premiere Pro captures from
DV tapes, especially when the camera moves or when an object
moves. Is there something wrong with my capture setting? How to
get rid of the effect or improve? The camera is a SONY PC101.

Second thing, while Premiere and Gspot shows the captured AVI
clips are in 720x480, Windows media Player 9 shows 640x480 on the
video property. Which one to trust?

lemonade wrote:

> I see interlace effect on videos that Premiere Pro captures from
> DV tapes, especially when the camera moves or when an object
> moves. Is there something wrong with my capture setting?

NTSC video is interlaced. If the interlacing is *not* there, then
something is wrong.

> How to
> get rid of the effect or improve?

You only want to consider getting rid of interlacing if the primary
target is a computer monitor. If it's a television, then you want to
leave it. That said, I prefer KernelDeint for removing interlacing.
See: http://www.100fps.com

> Second thing, while Premiere and Gspot shows the captured AVI
> clips are in 720x480, Windows media Player 9 shows 640x480 on the
> video property. Which one to trust?

Gspot. The last good version of WMP is 6.4

-WD

"lemonade" <lemonade@iceshop.com> wrote in message
> I see interlace effect on videos that Premiere Pro captures from
> DV tapes, especially when the camera moves or when an object
> moves. Is there something wrong with my capture setting? How to
> get rid of the effect or improve? The camera is a SONY PC101.

If your intention is to mostly watch this video on a computer, then you
may want to de-interlace the video using the smart deinterlacer with
Virtual dub, or even just the deinterlace feature in Premiere. Realize
that normal deinterlacing chucks half of resolution, and then does what
it can to get it back by interpolation, or just doubling up on a single
field.
Smart deinterlacer looses resolution on moving objects, but keeps as
much resolution as it can on non moving portions of the image.

If you plan to dump your project to a TV, then you would be better off
to leave the interlace alone. Interlacing is not an "fault" to be fixed, it
is
there on purpose. Interlacing effectively raises the frame-rate to 60 frames
per second (actually 60 fields per second). This allows for smooth motion
in video with moving objects in the scene. 24, or even 30, frames per
second are not enough to provide smooth motion. If you are shooting for
a low frame rate, you need to use longer exposures to allow more bluring
of moving objects, and you need to shoot in such a way as to minimize
the latral motion of your subject. This can be done by having action move
toward or away from the camera, or tracking (following) the subject such
that the subject move only a little and the background whips by.

> Second thing, while Premiere and Gspot shows the captured AVI
> clips are in 720x480, Windows media Player 9 shows 640x480 on the
> video property. Which one to trust?

I've never looked at what media player reports for size, but be assured
that DV is 720 x 480. Mediaplayer may be compensating for the non-square
pixels of DV by displaying at 640 X 480. This would be necessary to make
items in your movie have proper proportions in a square pixel environment
as seen on a computer.

If you plan to display your video on computers, then deinterlacing has
merit,
and you should reduce your horizontal output of the project to 640 to make
things look right. If you are planning on looking at it on a TV you should
leave it alone.

David