Sweetning the sound?

I'm currently working on a job where the client had some small issues
with the voice tracks. He recorded all dialog on DAT, and I've married
the sound to the video on all my clips. However, when I was
transferring the sound I noticed although it never peaks, it sounds like
it clips sometimes. Low volume sounds, sound good, but higher volume
sounds, sound a little tinny..

I have to admit, I haven't played much with sound filters. Normally
this doesn't come up because I can get pretty darn good sound from DAT
when recorded by pros. And I'm wondering if anyone can give me some tips
on making the voice tracks sound a little more, .. 'professional'.

I'm using Final Cut Pro 4.11, and it seams to have a fair assortment of
sound filters. I also have PEAK 4(Mac), and Sound Forge 7(PC) for
working with sound.

What frequencies do I need to target for starters..

Any suggestions would be helpful.

-Richard

> the sound to the video on all my clips. However, when I was
> transferring the sound I noticed although it never peaks, it sounds
like
> it clips sometimes. Low volume sounds, sound good, but higher volume
> sounds, sound a little tinny..

> sound filters. I also have PEAK 4(Mac), and Sound Forge 7(PC) for
> working with sound.

I'm not sure I've got a handle on how this sounds but if in addition to
the tinny sound, it sounds like it clips, I'd use Sonic Foundry's Clip
Restoration tool. I think it came with Sony's SF 7.0 but it may be from
one of their plugin packs. If you don't have it, you might try a bit of
peak, not RMS, level normalization to tone down the distortion but
again, without hearing it, it's difficult to give advice.

When I make mp3s for the office, some of the newer recorded stuff from
cd seems to be engineered for maximum sound and nothing else. These have
a clipping/distorted sound that I can't stand, so I use the clip tool to
correct it.

Morrmar wrote:
>>the sound to the video on all my clips. However, when I was
>>transferring the sound I noticed although it never peaks, it sounds
>
> like
>
>>it clips sometimes. Low volume sounds, sound good, but higher volume
>>sounds, sound a little tinny..
>

>>sound filters. I also have PEAK 4(Mac), and Sound Forge 7(PC) for
>>working with sound.
>

> I'm not sure I've got a handle on how this sounds but if in addition to
> the tinny sound, it sounds like it clips, I'd use Sonic Foundry's Clip
> Restoration tool. I think it came with Sony's SF 7.0 but it may be from
> one of their plugin packs. If you don't have it, you might try a bit of
> peak, not RMS, level normalization to tone down the distortion but
> again, without hearing it, it's difficult to give advice.

Thanks.. I'll look for it in SF7.

-Richard