Sony Trv 19 software Problem

have a notebook running windows xp. have had no luck getting the
"Image Mixer " software that came with it to work, either with the
windows xp computer or with another computer running Windows 2000.

My desire is to transfer the digital video that I have shot with the
TRV 19 to computer and then be able to edit it.

What programs, drivers do I need to do this ( transfer, then edit-
would prefer shareware/freeware if possible)

Any TRV 19 users that have already worked their way through these
problems that can help me.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Rich

<pak.ecker@comcast.net> wrote in message
> have a notebook running windows xp. have had no luck getting the
> "Image Mixer " software that came with it to work, either with the
> windows xp computer or with another computer running Windows 2000.
>
> My desire is to transfer the digital video that I have shot with the
> TRV 19 to computer and then be able to edit it.
>
> What programs, drivers do I need to do this ( transfer, then edit-
> would prefer shareware/freeware if possible)
>
> Any TRV 19 users that have already worked their way through these
> problems that can help me.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Paul

I'm using a Sony, but not the same model. If you have XP then it should
have Microsoft Movie Maker 1 or 2 already installed, if not it's free. You
need a Firewire port on your XP computer. You need a Firewire cable (IEEE
1394) with the proper number of pins on each end, which probably did not
come with your camera. Movie Maker will capture from the Sony and save in
AVI format. You can edit, etc and save in AVI format or WMV. In any event
that was the fastest, most painless and cheapest way for me to start.

Rich

On Wed, 05 May 2004 01:55:09 GMT, "Rich" <rich__23@earthlink.net>
wrote:

there is a plug on my camera that says dv, is that for firewire??

Not sure my computer has a firewire plug, is there any way to rig a
firewire to usb?

Or can I use the windows xp movie maker with usb connection?

><pak.ecker@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> have a notebook running windows xp. have had no luck getting the
>> "Image Mixer " software that came with it to work, either with the
>> windows xp computer or with another computer running Windows 2000.
>>
>> My desire is to transfer the digital video that I have shot with the
>> TRV 19 to computer and then be able to edit it.
>>
>> What programs, drivers do I need to do this ( transfer, then edit-
>> would prefer shareware/freeware if possible)
>>
>> Any TRV 19 users that have already worked their way through these
>> problems that can help me.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Paul
>
>I'm using a Sony, but not the same model. If you have XP then it should
>have Microsoft Movie Maker 1 or 2 already installed, if not it's free. You
>need a Firewire port on your XP computer. You need a Firewire cable (IEEE
>1394) with the proper number of pins on each end, which probably did not
>come with your camera. Movie Maker will capture from the Sony and save in
>AVI format. You can edit, etc and save in AVI format or WMV. In any event
>that was the fastest, most painless and cheapest way for me to start.
>
>Rich

Rich

The jack on your camera labeled A/V is the Firewire port.

The jack labeled DV is the USB port.

The USB on the Sony's is USB 1.1 which will give you pretty poor low
resolution captures. I would think that trying to rig Firewire to USB is
not the best way to go. Normally a Firewire card is needed but some people
claim to have good results with USB 2, (which your camera does not have).

The one most comprehensive site I have found about Movie Maker is at:
http://www.eicsoftware.com/PapaJohn/MM2/MM2.html

There are other inexpensive and even free video editors. But you will still
need a way to get the video/audio from your camera, and the easiest method
for me was with MM using Firewire. I tried USB with a variety of programs,
Sony, Showbiz, MovieXone, MM and learned that USB was not for me.

Rich

BTW, Movie Maker is said not to work on Win 2000

> On Wed, 05 May 2004 01:55:09 GMT, "Rich" <rich__23@earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>
> there is a plug on my camera that says dv, is that for firewire??
>
> Not sure my computer has a firewire plug, is there any way to rig a
> firewire to usb?
>
> Or can I use the windows xp movie maker with usb connection?
>
> ><pak.ecker@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> have a notebook running windows xp. have had no luck getting the
> >> "Image Mixer " software that came with it to work, either with the
> >> windows xp computer or with another computer running Windows 2000.
> >>
> >> My desire is to transfer the digital video that I have shot with the
> >> TRV 19 to computer and then be able to edit it.
> >>
> >> What programs, drivers do I need to do this ( transfer, then edit-
> >> would prefer shareware/freeware if possible)
> >>
> >> Any TRV 19 users that have already worked their way through these
> >> problems that can help me.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance.
> >>
> >> Paul
> >
> >I'm using a Sony, but not the same model. If you have XP then it should
> >have Microsoft Movie Maker 1 or 2 already installed, if not it's free.
You
> >need a Firewire port on your XP computer. You need a Firewire cable
(IEEE
> >1394) with the proper number of pins on each end, which probably did not
> >come with your camera. Movie Maker will capture from the Sony and save
in
> >AVI format. You can edit, etc and save in AVI format or WMV. In any
event
> >that was the fastest, most painless and cheapest way for me to start.
> >
> >Rich

pak.ecker@comcast.net wrote in

> On Wed, 05 May 2004 01:55:09 GMT, "Rich" <rich__23@earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>
> there is a plug on my camera that says dv, is that for firewire??

Yes, the DV plug on your camcorder is FireWire/iLink/IEEE-1394
(three names for the same thing).

> Not sure my computer has a firewire plug, is there any way to rig
> a firewire to usb?

If your notebook lacks FireWire, you can buy a PCCard (PCMCIA)
adapter. Read the computer manual or look at the connectors on the
notebook. The FireWire logo is sort of like a weird letter Y. It's a
circle with some waves emanating from it in three directions, so
that it loks like a Y, if you're not wearing your bifocals :). The
USB logo looks a little like the Greek letter psi.

Or go to Google and search, or go to a store and look at equipment.
Be sure to note the appearance of both sizes of connectors.

> Or can I use the windows xp movie maker with usb connection?

You need FireWire.

Whewn you go to buy a cable, note that FireWire can have 6-pin or 4-
pin connectors. The camera almost certanly has a 4-pin plug and the
adapter on the computer might have either.

So you'll likely want to buy a cable with a 4-pin on one end and a
6-pin on the other, or else with two 4-pin ends.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com

Rich

"Gene E. Bloch" <hamburger@NOT_SPAM.invalid> wrote in message
> pak.ecker@comcast.net wrote in
>
> > On Wed, 05 May 2004 01:55:09 GMT, "Rich" <rich__23@earthlink.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> > there is a plug on my camera that says dv, is that for firewire??
>

> Yes, the DV plug on your camcorder is FireWire/iLink/IEEE-1394
> (three names for the same thing).

My two Sony's have two jacks next to each other. The one marked A/V with
the iLink logo next to it is in fact Firewire as I sit here looking at it
plugged into my computer. The other camera is not here.

> > Or can I use the windows xp movie maker with usb connection?
>
> You need FireWire.

Agreed.

Rich

Rich

> My two Sony's have two jacks next to each other. The one marked A/V with
> the iLink logo next to it is in fact Firewire as I sit here looking at it
> plugged into my computer. The other camera is not here.
>

> Rich

The more I look at the labeling even with my bifocals the more confused I
get, there are three jacks. The Firewire cable will obviously by looking
will only fit into one.

Rich

"Rich" <rich__23@earthlink.net> wrote in

> The jack on your camera labeled A/V is the Firewire port.
>
> The jack labeled DV is the USB port.

Interestingly, on my TRV-20, the jack labelled DV is the IEEE-1394
port, and the jack labelled A/V (actually labelled Audio/Video) is the
analog input/ouput port.

Which is what is indicated on page 81 (and others) of the TRV19 manual
(which I just got from the Sony site).

That manual also shows the USB jack as a third jack labelled with
something that looks like the Greek letter psi (which is the usual USB
logo). The jack is a mini USB jack, which looks a lot like the nearby
4-pin DV jack - so don't use force! If you succeed in getting the wrong
plug into one of those jacks, you're in trouble :-(

<SNIP>

> "Rich" <rich__23@earthlink.net> wrote in
>
> > The jack on your camera labeled A/V is the Firewire port.
> >
> > The jack labeled DV is the USB port.
> >

> Interestingly, on my TRV-20, the jack labelled DV is the IEEE-1394
> port, and the jack labelled A/V (actually labelled Audio/Video) is the
> analog input/ouput port.

You are correct, I looked at the camera incorrectly.... The manual
identifies it once you find the page.

> "Gene E. Bloch" <hamburger@NOT_SPAM.invalid> wrote in message
>> "Rich" <rich__23@earthlink.net> wrote in
>>
>> > The jack on your camera labeled A/V is the Firewire port.
>> >
>> > The jack labeled DV is the USB port.
>> >

>> Interestingly, on my TRV-20, the jack labelled DV is the
>> IEEE-1394 port, and the jack labelled A/V (actually labelled
>> Audio/Video) is the analog input/ouput port.
>
> You are correct, I looked at the camera incorrectly.... The
> manual identifies it once you find the page.
>
> Rich

Thanks.

The reason I took the precaution of downloading the manual was just
in case the TRV-19 was somehow different from my older camera :)

Glad we're all sorted,
Gino

--

>> My two Sony's have two jacks next to each other. The one marked
>> A/V with the iLink logo next to it is in fact Firewire as I sit
>> here looking at it plugged into my computer. The other camera is
>> not here.
>>
>> Rich
>>

> The more I look at the labeling even with my bifocals the more
> confused I get, there are three jacks. The Firewire cable will
> obviously by looking will only fit into one.
>
> Rich

I have a pair or two of reading glasses at 2.75 and 3 diopters. That
helps a lot with these problems - better than my bifocals, and easier
to use than the other magnifier headsets that I have.

The TRV20 that I referred to elsewhere in this thread has only A/V (1/8
inch jack) and FireWire, which simplifies it for me...

Gino