Setting up a wireless network in an apartment block

Hi there

I'm a complete newbie at Wireless networks so please be gentle with me!

In short, currently I have a PC, a USB ADSL modem and a fat new 4.6megabit
ADSL connection.

I'm looking to 'sell' my spare capacity to my neighbours who live in my
apartment block. I would like to keep 2megabits for myself and let my
potential customers share the other 2.6mbits.

The block itself is (a) 3 storeys high, (b) timber framed and (c) I live on
the ground floor.

From a technical point of view, I'm not sure if my idea is possible, and
what hardware is required if it is. My questions are..

1) What hardware/software would i need? I'm assuming I need a router of some
sort.
2) Would the signal from the router be strong enough to penetrate 30ft with
2 ceilings in between (if you see what I mean)?
3) How can I make it secure? MAC addresses?
4) How can I throttle the bandwidth I give to them?
5) I don't want to have to leave my PC on all day. Is there a setup that
doesn't need that?

Any help would be appreciated - I'm reasonably technical but not enough
though!

cheers, L
4 answers Last reply
More about setting wireless network apartment block

    Here are my comments:
    - Does your provider allow you to resell their connectivity?
    - To limit bandwidth, you are going to most likely have to invest in more
    expensive router equipment
    - Otherwise, I would recommend using something like a Netgear FVS318 router
    with firewall along with a wireless access point such as a Linksys WAP54G.
    I only mention these as I have used them. Take a look at comparable
    equipment from other vendors.
    - I believe that separating the router from the access point gives you more
    flexibility and less problems, but it will cost you a few dollars more.
    - By using a router to hand out DHCP addresses, your PC does not have to be
    involved. You can leave it turned off and everyone else will have access.
    - As for security, I would not do anything less than WPA Pre-shared key.
    WEP is okay, but with WPA being widely available in new equipment, you
    should stick with it. Even better, if you setup a Win2k or Win2003 server,
    you can go to WPA RADIUS using EAP-TLS and certificates. That is much more
    complicated than you probably want to get into.
    - Skip the MAC address filtering and hiding the SSID. That causes more
    problems than it is worth. If you are concerned about neighbors giving out
    the shared key associated with WPA-PSK, you can turn on MAC address
    filtering. However, any decent hacker can quickly spoof a MAC address.
    Hiding the SSID only causes problems with Windows XP.
    - As for connectivity through walls, you will just have to try it and see
    how it works.
    - Keep in mind that you are in for a support nightmare by doing this. If
    someone is playing online games at 2am and their wireless connectivity
    suddenly goes down, they have every right to come banging on your door. :-)

    Jeff

    "liamski" <liamski@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi there
    >
    > I'm a complete newbie at Wireless networks so please be gentle with me!
    >
    > In short, currently I have a PC, a USB ADSL modem and a fat new 4.6megabit
    > ADSL connection.
    >
    > I'm looking to 'sell' my spare capacity to my neighbours who live in my
    > apartment block. I would like to keep 2megabits for myself and let my
    > potential customers share the other 2.6mbits.
    >
    > The block itself is (a) 3 storeys high, (b) timber framed and (c) I live
    > on
    > the ground floor.
    >
    > From a technical point of view, I'm not sure if my idea is possible, and
    > what hardware is required if it is. My questions are..
    >
    > 1) What hardware/software would i need? I'm assuming I need a router of
    > some
    > sort.
    > 2) Would the signal from the router be strong enough to penetrate 30ft
    > with
    > 2 ceilings in between (if you see what I mean)?
    > 3) How can I make it secure? MAC addresses?
    > 4) How can I throttle the bandwidth I give to them?
    > 5) I don't want to have to leave my PC on all day. Is there a setup that
    > doesn't need that?
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated - I'm reasonably technical but not enough
    > though!
    >
    > cheers, L

    Thanks Jeff - this is great advice and much appreciated

    Lee in London

    "Jeff Durham" wrote:

> [...]
    > >
    > > The block itself is (a) 3 storeys high, (b) timber framed and (c) I live
    > > on
    > > the ground floor.
    > >
    > > From a technical point of view, I'm not sure if my idea is possible, and
    > > what hardware is required if it is. My questions are..
    > >
    > > 1) What hardware/software would i need? I'm assuming I need a router of
    > > some
    > > sort.
    > > 2) Would the signal from the router be strong enough to penetrate 30ft
    > > with
    > > 2 ceilings in between (if you see what I mean)?
    > > 3) How can I make it secure? MAC addresses?
    > > 4) How can I throttle the bandwidth I give to them?
    > > 5) I don't want to have to leave my PC on all day. Is there a setup that
    > > doesn't need that?
    > >
    > > Any help would be appreciated - I'm reasonably technical but not enough

    I do not think that FVS318 works with USB Modem.

    Actually almost all of the Entry Level Cable/DSL Routers do not work with
    USB Modem,

    > Thanks Jeff - this is great advice and much appreciated
    >
    > Lee in London
    >
    > "Jeff Durham" wrote:
    >
    > > Here are my comments:
    > > - Does your provider allow you to resell their connectivity?
    > > - To limit bandwidth, you are going to most likely have to invest in
    more
    > > expensive router equipment
    > > - Otherwise, I would recommend using something like a Netgear FVS318
    router
    > > with firewall along with a wireless access point such as a Linksys
    WAP54G.
    > > I only mention these as I have used them. Take a look at comparable
    > > equipment from other vendors.
    > > - I believe that separating the router from the access point gives you
    more
    > > flexibility and less problems, but it will cost you a few dollars more.
    > > - By using a router to hand out DHCP addresses, your PC does not have to
    be
    > > involved. You can leave it turned off and everyone else will have
    access.
    > > - As for security, I would not do anything less than WPA Pre-shared key.
    > > WEP is okay, but with WPA being widely available in new equipment, you
    > > should stick with it. Even better, if you setup a Win2k or Win2003
    server,
    > > you can go to WPA RADIUS using EAP-TLS and certificates. That is much
    more
    > > complicated than you probably want to get into.
    > > - Skip the MAC address filtering and hiding the SSID. That causes more
    > > problems than it is worth. If you are concerned about neighbors giving
    out
    > > the shared key associated with WPA-PSK, you can turn on MAC address
    > > filtering. However, any decent hacker can quickly spoof a MAC address.
    > > Hiding the SSID only causes problems with Windows XP.
    > > - As for connectivity through walls, you will just have to try it and
    see
    > > how it works.
    > > - Keep in mind that you are in for a support nightmare by doing this.
    If
    > > someone is playing online games at 2am and their wireless connectivity
    > > suddenly goes down, they have every right to come banging on your door.
    :-)

    > > Jeff
    > >
    > > "liamski" <liamski@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi there
    > > >
    > > > I'm a complete newbie at Wireless networks so please be gentle with
    me!

    > > > In short, currently I have a PC, a USB ADSL modem and a fat new
    4.6megabit
    > > > ADSL connection.
    > > >
    > > > I'm looking to 'sell' my spare capacity to my neighbours who live in
    my
    > > > apartment block. I would like to keep 2megabits for myself and let my
    > > > potential customers share the other 2.6mbits.
    > > >
    > > > The block itself is (a) 3 storeys high, (b) timber framed and (c) I
    live
    > > > on
    > > > the ground floor.
    > > >
    > > > From a technical point of view, I'm not sure if my idea is possible,
    and
    > > > what hardware is required if it is. My questions are..
    > > >
    > > > 1) What hardware/software would i need? I'm assuming I need a router
    of
    > > > some
    > > > sort.
    > > > 2) Would the signal from the router be strong enough to penetrate 30ft
    > > > with
    > > > 2 ceilings in between (if you see what I mean)?
    > > > 3) How can I make it secure? MAC addresses?
    > > > 4) How can I throttle the bandwidth I give to them?
    > > > 5) I don't want to have to leave my PC on all day. Is there a setup
    that
    > > > doesn't need that?
    > > >
    > > > Any help would be appreciated - I'm reasonably technical but not
    enough
    > > > though!
    > > >
    > > > cheers, L

    You are right. I did not see that the OP mentioned that the modem was USB.
    This implies that it has to be connected to the PC which means that the PC
    probably has to be on all of the time. I would suggest getting a modem that
    has an ethernet plug for the home side. This would allow greater
    flexibility in choosing a router.

    Jeff

    "Jack" <www.ezlan.net> wrote in message
    >I do not think that FVS318 works with USB Modem.
    >
    > Actually almost all of the Entry Level Cable/DSL Routers do not work with
    > USB Modem,
    >

    > "liamski" <liamski@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks Jeff - this is great advice and much appreciated
    >>
    >> Lee in London
    >>
    >> "Jeff Durham" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Here are my comments:
    >> > - Does your provider allow you to resell their connectivity?
    >> > - To limit bandwidth, you are going to most likely have to invest in
    > more
    >> > expensive router equipment
    >> > - Otherwise, I would recommend using something like a Netgear FVS318
    > router
    >> > with firewall along with a wireless access point such as a Linksys
    > WAP54G.
    >> > I only mention these as I have used them. Take a look at comparable
    >> > equipment from other vendors.
    >> > - I believe that separating the router from the access point gives you
    > more
    >> > flexibility and less problems, but it will cost you a few dollars more.
    >> > - By using a router to hand out DHCP addresses, your PC does not have
    > be
    >> > involved. You can leave it turned off and everyone else will have
    > access.
    >> > - As for security, I would not do anything less than WPA Pre-shared
    >> > key.
    >> > WEP is okay, but with WPA being widely available in new equipment, you
    >> > should stick with it. Even better, if you setup a Win2k or Win2003
    > server,
    >> > you can go to WPA RADIUS using EAP-TLS and certificates. That is much
    > more
    >> > complicated than you probably want to get into.
    >> > - Skip the MAC address filtering and hiding the SSID. That causes more
    >> > problems than it is worth. If you are concerned about neighbors giving
    > out
    >> > the shared key associated with WPA-PSK, you can turn on MAC address
    >> > filtering. However, any decent hacker can quickly spoof a MAC address.
    >> > Hiding the SSID only causes problems with Windows XP.
    >> > - As for connectivity through walls, you will just have to try it and
    > see
    >> > how it works.
    >> > - Keep in mind that you are in for a support nightmare by doing this.
    > If
    >> > someone is playing online games at 2am and their wireless connectivity
    >> > suddenly goes down, they have every right to come banging on your door.
    > :-)
    >> >
    >> > Jeff
    >> >
    >> > "liamski" <liamski@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > me!

    > 4.6megabit

    > my

    > live

    > and

    > of
    > that

    > enough

Wireless Wireless Network Wireless Networking