george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

Purchased a new Datavideo DAC-2 about a month ago. Basically, it takes
analogue video in and gives you DV25 firewire out to your computer and
vice versa.

Anyway, the unit was touted as working with all PC operating systems
from at least 98 on up. I have Win2K and cannot get this thing to stay
stable. When I try to capture it holds for a bit then the output flashes
on and off and the computer locks up. When I try to play back a clip
through it the color holds for a bit then goes B&W. When I do have color
it is way out of phase to the capture.

Datavideo has sent me 3 different version firmwares (they claim you need
specific firmware for each OS you are using with it (?)) and still I
cannot get it to work. Now they say it's bad driver issues with Win2K
and that I need to run XP for the better firewire drivers it offers.

I have a Panasonic DV-2000 mini DV recorder and I can easily feed video
through it to my system and back out with no issues whatsoever!

Anyone out there using this product with success and what are you
running it on?

Thanks,
George

"George" <tfg1@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Purchased a new Datavideo DAC-2 about a month ago. Basically, it takes
> analogue video in and gives you DV25 firewire out to your computer and
> vice versa.
>
> Anyway, the unit was touted as working with all PC operating systems
> from at least 98 on up. I have Win2K and cannot get this thing to stay
> stable. When I try to capture it holds for a bit then the output flashes
> on and off and the computer locks up. When I try to play back a clip
> through it the color holds for a bit then goes B&W. When I do have color
> it is way out of phase to the capture.
>
> Datavideo has sent me 3 different version firmwares (they claim you need
> specific firmware for each OS you are using with it (?)) and still I
> cannot get it to work. Now they say it's bad driver issues with Win2K
> and that I need to run XP for the better firewire drivers it offers.

I have the DAC-100, which is identical to your unit, except that it does not
have RGB inputs.
The unit did require a firmware replacement for reasons such as you
describe.

It does work reliably under XP. I have not used it under W2K.
W2K and XP support Firewire differently.
In W2K, support is provided by the manufacturer of the Firewire card,
providing a low-level interface to the device.
In XP, the OS provides a high level interface, with many hardware capture
devices supported natively by the OS.

HOWEVER, it sounds like your capture card has a defective crystal. Except
for the brand name cards, such as the Pyro, the crystals cost about a dime
and have poor tolerance.
Also, the TI chipset used in the Pyro has well regarded drivers, simply
because they have been used so much for so long.
My advice: If you don't have a Pyro, get one. They cost around $40.

Sounds bogusa. I would definately try another bridge /// even if you buy it
and return it for the test
"George" <tfg1@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Purchased a new Datavideo DAC-2 about a month ago. Basically, it takes
> analogue video in and gives you DV25 firewire out to your computer and
> vice versa.
>
> Anyway, the unit was touted as working with all PC operating systems
> from at least 98 on up. I have Win2K and cannot get this thing to stay
> stable. When I try to capture it holds for a bit then the output flashes
> on and off and the computer locks up. When I try to play back a clip
> through it the color holds for a bit then goes B&W. When I do have color
> it is way out of phase to the capture.
>
> Datavideo has sent me 3 different version firmwares (they claim you need
> specific firmware for each OS you are using with it (?)) and still I
> cannot get it to work. Now they say it's bad driver issues with Win2K
> and that I need to run XP for the better firewire drivers it offers.
>
> I have a Panasonic DV-2000 mini DV recorder and I can easily feed video
> through it to my system and back out with no issues whatsoever!
>
> Anyone out there using this product with success and what are you
> running it on?
>
> Thanks,
> George

"George" <tfg1@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Purchased a new Datavideo DAC-2 about a month ago. Basically, it takes
> analogue video in and gives you DV25 firewire out to your computer and
> vice versa.
>
> Anyway, the unit was touted as working with all PC operating systems
> from at least 98 on up. I have Win2K and cannot get this thing to stay
> stable. When I try to capture it holds for a bit then the output flashes
> on and off and the computer locks up. When I try to play back a clip
> through it the color holds for a bit then goes B&W. When I do have color
> it is way out of phase to the capture.

> Anyone out there using this product with success and what are you
> running it on?

I've been using DAC-2 for about 6 months now with XP and it has been working
w/o hitch. I updated the firmware only because I bought the unit secondhand
and the f/w was very old. They sent me a new chip and I've got superb
support from them all the time.

My DAC-2 is PAL-unit and if I've understood correctly, NTSC is completely
different beast.

Could you test your unit in XP???

Have you contacted Datavideo directly or have you been discussing with a
dealer?

> Thanks,
> George

BR,

Matti Remonen

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

Hey, Matti:

I've been dealing with Datavideo on this. They say they do not have W2K any
longer to even test the unit. This seems odd as they still sell these units for
the other OS's.

I do not have XP nor do I plan on using it. W2K works for me just fine....other
than this DAC-2 issue.

Do you remember what version firmware they sent you?

George

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

"George" <tfg1@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:409A5237.8F3905FD@mindspring.com...
> Hey, Matti:
>
> I've been dealing with Datavideo on this. They say they do not have W2K any
> longer to even test the unit.

That's outrageous. It's still a supported OS according to their
product literature.

I was planning on buying a DAC-100 until I read your info.
What a bunch of losers.

Rick

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

Robert:

When I first got the unit Datavideo told me much of what you have stated. They
said I needed to use the TI chipset to get good results. I went out and got a
new Belkin firewire card WITH the TI chipset and still the same results...so I
doubt it is a bad xtal.

Remember, I said I can use my Panasonic deck as a D-A/A-D and all is fine. (I
get crushed blacks with it so hense my reason to purchase the DAC-2).

However, there were no software drivers supplied or needed for the new card (or
the old one for that matter) so where do the drivers you mention for the Pyro
come into play here?

George

Robert Morein wrote:

> it sounds like your capture card has a defective crystal. Except for the
> brand name cards, such as the Pyro, the crystals cost about a dime and have
> poor tolerance.

"George" <tfg1@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Hey, Matti:
>
> I've been dealing with Datavideo on this. They say they do not have W2K
any
> longer to even test the unit. This seems odd as they still sell these
units for
> the other OS's.

That's weird when they still officially support W2K.

> I do not have XP nor do I plan on using it. W2K works for me just
fine....other
> than this DAC-2 issue.

I actually mean that if you can test the unit elsewhere...

> Do you remember what version firmware they sent you?

Cannot remember, I need to check it from the unit. It will take couple of
days before I can get the info for you, but I'll post it immediately I've
checked it.

> George

BR,

MRe

> Robert:
>
> When I first got the unit Datavideo told me much of what you have stated.
They
> said I needed to use the TI chipset to get good results. I went out and
got a
> new Belkin firewire card WITH the TI chipset and still the same
results...so I
> doubt it is a bad xtal.
>
> Remember, I said I can use my Panasonic deck as a D-A/A-D and all is fine.
(I
> get crushed blacks with it so hense my reason to purchase the DAC-2).
>
> However, there were no software drivers supplied or needed for the new
card (or
> the old one for that matter) so where do the drivers you mention for the
Pyro
> come into play here?
>
> George
>
> Robert Morein wrote:
>
> > it sounds like your capture card has a defective crystal. Except for
the
> > brand name cards, such as the Pyro, the crystals cost about a dime and
have
> > poor tolerance.

I guess it means the drivers are bundled into the OS, but at this point, I'm
not being much help :).
I take it you exhausted the DIP-switch settings?

"Matti Remonen" <noname@invalid.com> wrote in message
> "George" <tfg1@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > Hey, Matti:
> > Do you remember what version firmware they sent you?
>
> Cannot remember, I need to check it from the unit. It will take couple of
> days before I can get the info for you, but I'll post it immediately I've
> checked it.

Checked. Firmware they sent me is version 3.4 Previous one was 3.1. These
are PAL-versions though (donät know whether there is any difference between
PAL and NTSC f/w:s but probably there are).

> > George

BR,

MRe