double helicopter trouble

damn. on the hardest level now. i've got lots of antlions following
courtesy of bugbait. rockets all over the place but i still can't shoot
down the damn copters. 5 direct hits and still up. any other weapons i
should be trying? Can i get up to the guard towers?

"ian lincoln" <jessops@sux.com> wrote in message
> damn. on the hardest level now. i've got lots of antlions following
> courtesy of bugbait. rockets all over the place but i still can't shoot
> down the damn copters. 5 direct hits and still up. any other weapons i
> should be trying? Can i get up to the guard towers?

3 RPG shots will do it

On 6/24/2005 1:42 PM JLT2005 brightened our day with:

>"ian lincoln" <jessops@sux.com> wrote in message
>

>>damn. on the hardest level now. i've got lots of antlions following
>>courtesy of bugbait. rockets all over the place but i still can't shoot
>>down the damn copters. 5 direct hits and still up. any other weapons i
>>should be trying? Can i get up to the guard towers?
>>

>3 RPG shots will do it

It helps to shoot in the opposite direction and then snap around and get
your laser site on them. What appears to be direct hits can be the
result of the rockets being shot down by the drop ships.

--
"I don't feel tardy"

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

"LymanAlpha" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
> On 6/24/2005 1:42 PM JLT2005 brightened our day with:
>
>>"ian lincoln" <jessops@sux.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>damn. on the hardest level now. i've got lots of antlions following
>>>courtesy of bugbait. rockets all over the place but i still can't shoot
>>>down the damn copters. 5 direct hits and still up. any other weapons i
>>>should be trying? Can i get up to the guard towers?
>>>

>>3 RPG shots will do it
>>

> It helps to shoot in the opposite direction and then snap around and get
> your laser site on them. What appears to be direct hits can be the result
> of the rockets being shot down by the drop ships.

3rpg worked on easy level 5 on normal it seems to be about 7 on hard. well
when i say rpg i mean the rockets from bazooka. are rpg from machine gun
effective? p.s i'm watching the 2hr 20min speed walkthrough but it appears
to be cheating. I managed to get up where i wasn't supposed to before and
the game just stopped me.

"ian lincoln" <jessops@sux.com> wrote in message
> damn. on the hardest level now. i've got lots of antlions following
> courtesy of bugbait. rockets all over the place but i still can't shoot
> down the damn copters. 5 direct hits and still up. any other weapons i
> should be trying? Can i get up to the guard towers?

Heh, just had to do this level again, after many months, thanks to a HD
crash which wiped my old save games.. still caused me a lot of grief...

Don't think you can make it to the guard towers, look out for the guards and
chuck the bug bait at them.. . Follow the wall around, there is a guard post
at the corner which has a health recharger and an armor recharger in it (at
least 2 guards in there - use shotgun). Get there, load up and then leave
quick. Stay close to wall and look out for missle ammo (try and hit gunships
whenever possible, but don't get too far out of cover...), more bug bait
above would be useful here...

Go up steps to higher level - box of rockets... but don't stand too close to
exploding barrels, and be prepared to hide behind cargo canister....

Good luck..

Dave

"Sloth" <dave@removethis.sloth.plus.com> wrote in message

> "ian lincoln" <jessops@sux.com> wrote in message
>> damn. on the hardest level now. i've got lots of antlions following
>> courtesy of bugbait. rockets all over the place but i still can't shoot
>> down the damn copters. 5 direct hits and still up. any other weapons i
>> should be trying? Can i get up to the guard towers?
>>

> Heh, just had to do this level again, after many months, thanks to a HD
> crash which wiped my old save games.. still caused me a lot of grief...
>
> Don't think you can make it to the guard towers, look out for the guards
> and chuck the bug bait at them.. . Follow the wall around, there is a
> guard post at the corner which has a health recharger and an armor
> recharger in it (at least 2 guards in there - use shotgun). Get there,
> load up and then leave quick. Stay close to wall and look out for missle
> ammo (try and hit gunships whenever possible, but don't get too far out of
> cover...), more bug bait above would be useful here...
>
> Go up steps to higher level - box of rockets... but don't stand too close
> to exploding barrels, and be prepared to hide behind cargo canister....
>
> Good luck..

Thanks. I knew my way around but just couldn't shoot the bastards down.
There is an upturned bin big enough to hide in. I just poke my head out and
shoot. Saved the games only when i got a positive hit. Very slow process.
A lot easier once one gunship has been knocked down.

It was a dark and stormy night in alt.games.half-life when LymanAlpha
exclaimed:

> It helps to shoot in the opposite direction and then snap around and get
> your laser site on them. What appears to be direct hits can be the
> result of the rockets being shot down by the drop ships.

It could well be psychosomatic, but more of my RPGs hit if I fired just
after the gunships started firing themselves. The ones I fired whilst they
were turning, admiring the scenery, or otherwise engaged were almost
invariably shot down.

-Wildy

> Saved the games only when i got a positive hit. >Very slow process.

Meh..may as well of used god mode....

"Lief" <ask.me.for@it.com> wrote in message

> "ian lincoln" <jessops@sux.com> wrote in message
>
>> Saved the games only when i got a positive hit. >Very slow process.
>
> Meh..may as well of used god mode....

on my second time around now. Not bad. Started from the beginning on
tuesday evening. Got to the boat section and shot down the hunter killer in
2.5 hours. Yesterday had the buggy and shot down the last hk by the light
house. Now i got to that same stage again two hks. Broke it up into
stages. Loosed off all the rockets and got to the guard house. saved.
detonated all firedrums and made it to the upturned bin.
saved
killed the four guys in the two remaining guard rooms. saved
coneentrated on one hk at a time. saved

Taking pots shots at everyone until i got to the end was too much. Always
caught in crossfire of someone else no matter who i was shooting at. Also
found sending antlions to other side of camp drew away some heat. Taken on
latest antlion king. fire drums don't do much. nother did pulse rifle or
machine gun fire. Emptying shot gun into it was only thing that seemed to
work.

It was a dark and stormy night in alt.games.half-life when ian lincoln
exclaimed:

> Emptying shot gun into it was only thing that seemed to
> work.

Indeed - grenades seemed to only make it angry[1]

[1] Quite understandably, when you think about it.

--
Wildy