Canon A75 Video - AVI File Requires Plug-In

My Canon A75 stores videos in AVI format.
I thought that the AVI file format was a standard one; apparently not.
Some of my friends and family can play the files, some others get a
msg indicating that a "plugin is required."
If someone understands what's happening and how to resolve the
problem, the help will be appreciated.
Thanks.
- Bob (In Tulsa)
7 answers Last reply
More about canon video file requires plug

    Yes, I have the Canon A60 and have found the same problem at times playing
    my video captures. So a good solution would be nice.

    Dan

    "Bob In Tulsa" <bobntlsaJUNK@BLOCKmindspring.com> wrote in message
    > My Canon A75 stores videos in AVI format.
    > I thought that the AVI file format was a standard one; apparently not.
    > Some of my friends and family can play the files, some others get a
    > msg indicating that a "plugin is required."
    > If someone understands what's happening and how to resolve the
    > problem, the help will be appreciated.
    > Thanks.
    > - Bob (In Tulsa)

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 14:48:36 -0600, Bob In Tulsa
    <bobntlsaJUNK@BLOCKmindspring.com> wrote:

    >My Canon A75 stores videos in AVI format.
    >I thought that the AVI file format was a standard one; apparently not.
    >Some of my friends and family can play the files, some others get a
    >msg indicating that a "plugin is required."
    >If someone understands what's happening and how to resolve the
    >problem, the help will be appreciated.
    >Thanks.
    >- Bob (In Tulsa)

    The simplest answer is to ensure that your friends have QuickTime
    installed.

    They can get a free version here

    http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

    These cameras use the M-JPEG codec for avi, and QuickTime installs
    this automatically. It should have come with your camera software.

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:28:31 +0000, Terry <terry1452@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 14:48:36 -0600, Bob In Tulsa
    ><bobntlsaJUNK@BLOCKmindspring.com> wrote:
    >
    >>My Canon A75 stores videos in AVI format.
    >>I thought that the AVI file format was a standard one; apparently not.
    >>Some of my friends and family can play the files, some others get a
    >>msg indicating that a "plugin is required."
    >>If someone understands what's happening and how to resolve the
    >>problem, the help will be appreciated.
    >>Thanks.
    >>- Bob (In Tulsa)
    >
    >The simplest answer is to ensure that your friends have QuickTime
    >installed.
    >
    >They can get a free version here
    >
    >http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/
    >
    >These cameras use the M-JPEG codec for avi, and QuickTime installs
    >this automatically. It should have come with your camera software.

    Terry, thanks...
    That may be a "work around," but I'm not having the problem and I am
    viewing the AVI files with Windows Media Player. I want to figure out
    why others cannot view the videos. One friend said he can hear the
    audio but gets no picture. If someone has had the same probem and was
    able to resolve it, I'd be interested in learning how they fixed it
    instead of avoiding it.
    - Bob (In Tulsa)

    The plugin is the mjpeg codec, it is not a standard feature of windows, it
    must be installed. You have it, others don't, as simple as that.

    There are a lot of codecs that get saved as AVI files.

    "Bob In Tulsa" <bobntlsaJUNK@BLOCKmindspring.com> escreveu na mensagem
    > On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:28:31 +0000, Terry <terry1452@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 14:48:36 -0600, Bob In Tulsa
    > ><bobntlsaJUNK@BLOCKmindspring.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >>My Canon A75 stores videos in AVI format.
    > >>I thought that the AVI file format was a standard one; apparently not.
    > >>Some of my friends and family can play the files, some others get a
    > >>msg indicating that a "plugin is required."
    > >>If someone understands what's happening and how to resolve the
    > >>problem, the help will be appreciated.
    > >>Thanks.
    > >>- Bob (In Tulsa)
    > >
    > >The simplest answer is to ensure that your friends have QuickTime
    > >installed.
    > >
    > >They can get a free version here
    > >
    > >http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/
    > >
    > >These cameras use the M-JPEG codec for avi, and QuickTime installs
    > >this automatically. It should have come with your camera software.
    > >

    > Terry, thanks...
    > That may be a "work around," but I'm not having the problem and I am
    > viewing the AVI files with Windows Media Player. I want to figure out
    > why others cannot view the videos. One friend said he can hear the
    > audio but gets no picture. If someone has had the same probem and was
    > able to resolve it, I'd be interested in learning how they fixed it
    > instead of avoiding it.
    > - Bob (In Tulsa)
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    The plugin is the mjpeg codec, it is not a standard feature of windows, it
    must be installed. You have it, others don't, as simple as that. You can see
    this by going to the control panel then the sound and multimedia icon and
    see what video codec's you have. There you will see a lot of codec's that
    get saved as part of AVI files, the other part been the audio codec.

    "Bob In Tulsa" <bobntlsaJUNK@BLOCKmindspring.com> escreveu na mensagem
    > On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:28:31 +0000, Terry <terry1452@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 14:48:36 -0600, Bob In Tulsa
    > ><bobntlsaJUNK@BLOCKmindspring.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >>My Canon A75 stores videos in AVI format.
    > >>I thought that the AVI file format was a standard one; apparently not.
    > >>Some of my friends and family can play the files, some others get a
    > >>msg indicating that a "plugin is required."
    > >>If someone understands what's happening and how to resolve the
    > >>problem, the help will be appreciated.
    > >>Thanks.
    > >>- Bob (In Tulsa)
    > >
    > >The simplest answer is to ensure that your friends have QuickTime
    > >installed.
    > >
    > >They can get a free version here
    > >
    > >http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/
    > >
    > >These cameras use the M-JPEG codec for avi, and QuickTime installs
    > >this automatically. It should have come with your camera software.
    > >

    > Terry, thanks...
    > That may be a "work around," but I'm not having the problem and I am
    > viewing the AVI files with Windows Media Player. I want to figure out
    > why others cannot view the videos. One friend said he can hear the
    > audio but gets no picture. If someone has had the same probem and was
    > able to resolve it, I'd be interested in learning how they fixed it
    > instead of avoiding it.
    > - Bob (In Tulsa)
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    The plugin is the mjpeg codec, it is not a standard feature of windows, it
    must be installed. You have it, others don't, as simple as that. You can see
    this by going to the control panel then the sound and multimedia icon and
    see what video codec's you have. There you will see a lot of codec's that
    get saved as part of AVI files, the other part being the audio codec.

    "Bob In Tulsa" <bobntlsaJUNK@BLOCKmindspring.com> escreveu na mensagem
    > On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:28:31 +0000, Terry <terry1452@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 14:48:36 -0600, Bob In Tulsa
    > ><bobntlsaJUNK@BLOCKmindspring.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >>My Canon A75 stores videos in AVI format.
    > >>I thought that the AVI file format was a standard one; apparently not.
    > >>Some of my friends and family can play the files, some others get a
    > >>msg indicating that a "plugin is required."
    > >>If someone understands what's happening and how to resolve the
    > >>problem, the help will be appreciated.
    > >>Thanks.
    > >>- Bob (In Tulsa)
    > >
    > >The simplest answer is to ensure that your friends have QuickTime
    > >installed.
    > >
    > >They can get a free version here
    > >
    > >http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/
    > >
    > >These cameras use the M-JPEG codec for avi, and QuickTime installs
    > >this automatically. It should have come with your camera software.
    > >

    > Terry, thanks...
    > That may be a "work around," but I'm not having the problem and I am
    > viewing the AVI files with Windows Media Player. I want to figure out
    > why others cannot view the videos. One friend said he can hear the
    > audio but gets no picture. If someone has had the same probem and was
    > able to resolve it, I'd be interested in learning how they fixed it
    > instead of avoiding it.
    > - Bob (In Tulsa)
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    D52...

    Makes sense to me. I saw all three of your replies to my post.

    Thanks for the help.

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:00:35 -0000, "d52" <d52@netcapo.pt> wrote:

    >The plugin is the mjpeg codec, it is not a standard feature of windows, it
    >must be installed. You have it, others don't, as simple as that.
    >
    >There are a lot of codecs that get saved as AVI files.
    >

    >"Bob In Tulsa" <bobntlsaJUNK@BLOCKmindspring.com> escreveu na mensagem
    >> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:28:31 +0000, Terry <terry1452@hotmail.com>
    >> wrote:

    >> >The simplest answer is to ensure that your friends have QuickTime
    >> >installed.
    >> >
    >> >They can get a free version here
    >> >
    >> >http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/
    >> >
    >> >These cameras use the M-JPEG codec for avi, and QuickTime installs
    >> >this automatically. It should have come with your camera software.
    >> >

    >> Terry, thanks...
    >> That may be a "work around," but I'm not having the problem and I am
    >> viewing the AVI files with Windows Media Player. I want to figure out
    >> why others cannot view the videos. One friend said he can hear the
    >> audio but gets no picture. If someone has had the same probem and was
    >> able to resolve it, I'd be interested in learning how they fixed it
    >> instead of avoiding it.
    >> - Bob (In Tulsa)

    - Bob (In Tulsa)

Cameras Canon Video AVI Peripherals