I have mpeg video files transferred from my ReplyTV to my XP Pro SP 2
computer. When I use Windows Explorer to open the folder with the file in it,
Explorer locks up. The simple message is: "Windows Explorer has encountered
a problem and needs to close." When I click the close button nothing happens
and I need to close it with the Task Manager. When I use the Pinnacle Video
application browser I do not experience any problems. Is there something I
need to configure for large file support in Windows?

Is your hard drive formatted in NTFS?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Richard M" <Richard M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have mpeg video files transferred from my ReplyTV to my XP Pro SP 2
> computer. When I use Windows Explorer to open the folder with the file in
> it,
> Explorer locks up. The simple message is: "Windows Explorer has
> encountered
> a problem and needs to close." When I click the close button nothing
> happens
> and I need to close it with the Task Manager. When I use the Pinnacle
> Video
> application browser I do not experience any problems. Is there something
> need to configure for large file support in Windows?

The system has 4 drives 3 NTFS and 1 FAT (I do not use the FAT drive for
video files)

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Is your hard drive formatted in NTFS?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>
> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>
> "Richard M" <Richard M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have mpeg video files transferred from my ReplyTV to my XP Pro SP 2
> > computer. When I use Windows Explorer to open the folder with the file in
> > it,
> > Explorer locks up. The simple message is: "Windows Explorer has
> > encountered
> > a problem and needs to close." When I click the close button nothing
> > happens
> > and I need to close it with the Task Manager. When I use the Pinnacle
> > Video
> > application browser I do not experience any problems. Is there something
> > need to configure for large file support in Windows?

Try defragging all the drives before you try to copy.
--

> The system has 4 drives 3 NTFS and 1 FAT (I do not use the FAT drive for
> video files)
>

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Is your hard drive formatted in NTFS?
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>
>> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>>
>> "Richard M" <Richard M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have mpeg video files transferred from my ReplyTV to my XP Pro SP 2
>> > computer. When I use Windows Explorer to open the folder with the file
>> > in
>> > it,
>> > Explorer locks up. The simple message is: "Windows Explorer has
>> > encountered
>> > a problem and needs to close." When I click the close button nothing
>> > happens
>> > and I need to close it with the Task Manager. When I use the Pinnacle
>> > Video
>> > application browser I do not experience any problems. Is there
>> > something
>> > need to configure for large file support in Windows?

I defrag (or check if I need too) after editing 2 movies or so. Defraging
seems to be unrelated to the problem. Sorry. Appreciate your feed back.

Richard