Help: Hi-8 to digital via capture card

I have a Sony TRV-318 Hi-8 camcorder. I am attempting to hook it up
through a Sondmax Digital Audio card. I've used the S-Video connection
for the video portion and it has worked fine, The problem is, I can't
get the audio to work. I'm using a Winfast pvr and the sound works
fine for the TV tuner, etc. I've tried to hook up the AV out to the
audio in on the Sound card, with no luck. If anyone has a trv-318 and
is familiar with the problem, I need some help. Thanks.
jm

>I have a Sony TRV-318 Hi-8 camcorder. I am attempting to hook it up
>through a Sondmax Digital Audio card. I've used the S-Video connection
>for the video portion and it has worked fine, The problem is, I can't
>get the audio to work. I'm using a Winfast pvr and the sound works
>fine for the TV tuner, etc. I've tried to hook up the AV out to the
>audio in on the Sound card, with no luck. If anyone has a trv-318 and
>is familiar with the problem, I need some help. Thanks.
>jm

Just a thought: You are aware that the SVideo connector carries video ONLY, no
audio? That to get audio out of the camcorder you need the "AV Cable" that has
a 3.5mm 4-or-5 ring plug on one end and white, yellow, and red RCA connectors
on the other. Video is (usually) yellow, left audio is white, and right audio
is red.