Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Video =>firewire / conversion

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 3:29:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I have a digital camcorder with firewire.

The resolution of the camcorder is only 600x800.

Can i do this:

Play VHS tapes in VCR
Into the analog port on my camcorder
Out the firewire port of the camcorder
Into my computer firwire port

and expect to get greater resolution than 600x800?


Thanks
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 8:55:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Americhicken wrote:
> I have a digital camcorder with firewire.
>
> The resolution of the camcorder is only 600x800.
>
> Can i do this:
>
> Play VHS tapes in VCR
> Into the analog port on my camcorder
> Out the firewire port of the camcorder
> Into my computer firwire port
>
> and expect to get greater resolution than 600x800?


Maybe the still photo mode is 800 x 600 but the camcorder's video resolution
is 720 x 480 so that's what you'll get with a firewire transfer.
Go to www.videohelp.com for a whole lot of reading & learning.

Mike
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 8:55:28 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

all camcorders video resolution are the same?



"Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:2fvn23F2tqq0U1@uni-berlin.de...
> Americhicken wrote:
> > I have a digital camcorder with firewire.
> >
> > The resolution of the camcorder is only 600x800.
> >
> > Can i do this:
> >
> > Play VHS tapes in VCR
> > Into the analog port on my camcorder
> > Out the firewire port of the camcorder
> > Into my computer firwire port
> >
> > and expect to get greater resolution than 600x800?
>
>
> Maybe the still photo mode is 800 x 600 but the camcorder's video
resolution
> is 720 x 480 so that's what you'll get with a firewire transfer.
> Go to www.videohelp.com for a whole lot of reading & learning.
>
> Mike
>
Related resources
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 9:46:34 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Americhicken wrote:
> all camcorders video resolution are the same?

Unless you get into high-definition models, yes.

Mike


> "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> news:2fvn23F2tqq0U1@uni-berlin.de...
>> Americhicken wrote:
>>> I have a digital camcorder with firewire.
>>>
>>> The resolution of the camcorder is only 600x800.
>>>
>>> Can i do this:
>>>
>>> Play VHS tapes in VCR
>>> Into the analog port on my camcorder
>>> Out the firewire port of the camcorder
>>> Into my computer firwire port
>>>
>>> and expect to get greater resolution than 600x800?
>>
>>
>> Maybe the still photo mode is 800 x 600 but the camcorder's video
>> resolution is 720 x 480 so that's what you'll get with a firewire
>> transfer. Go to www.videohelp.com for a whole lot of reading &
>> learning.
>>
>> Mike
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 9:46:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

These camcorders don't have the same resolution:

http://www.bizrate.com/buy/refine__att--311499,att31149...






"Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:2fvq1tF2thg6U1@uni-berlin.de...
> Americhicken wrote:
> > all camcorders video resolution are the same?
>
> Unless you get into high-definition models, yes.
>
> Mike
>
>
> > "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > news:2fvn23F2tqq0U1@uni-berlin.de...
> >> Americhicken wrote:
> >>> I have a digital camcorder with firewire.
> >>>
> >>> The resolution of the camcorder is only 600x800.
> >>>
> >>> Can i do this:
> >>>
> >>> Play VHS tapes in VCR
> >>> Into the analog port on my camcorder
> >>> Out the firewire port of the camcorder
> >>> Into my computer firwire port
> >>>
> >>> and expect to get greater resolution than 600x800?
> >>
> >>
> >> Maybe the still photo mode is 800 x 600 but the camcorder's video
> >> resolution is 720 x 480 so that's what you'll get with a firewire
> >> transfer. Go to www.videohelp.com for a whole lot of reading &
> >> learning.
> >>
> >> Mike
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 10:47:26 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"Americhicken" wrote ...
> all camcorders video resolution are the same?

Every DV (DV, mini-DV, DVCAM, DVCpro, ~D8~) camcorder
running the NTSC video standard (North America, Japan, etc.) runs
720x480. From those that cost $295 to those that cost $29,500.
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 10:52:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"Americhicken" wrote ...
> These camcorders don't have the same resolution:
>
>
http://www.bizrate.com/buy/refine__att--311499,att31149...

The difference is the number of pixels in the pickup device(s).
In many cases there are a different number of pixels used when
taking still snaps than when taking moving video.
In other cases, the number of pixels represents how many different
pixels are used to assemble the NTSC video frame. More pixels
yields more detailed pictures, but the final number of scan lines,
and effective pixels on each scan line remains the same, same,
same for all NTSC DV cameras. If they weren't all identical, you
there would be no DV standard and you couldn't intercut video
images.
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 12:38:00 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

alright then. Point taken. Before I stuff a pair of stinky sweat socks down
my throat with my own fist:

Where oh where is the difference in quality between running the video thru
my new canopus thingy and my 5 year old video camera that has firewire.??

Why did i buy the canopus adc100? why does anyone?

Why did all these people tell me to "get the canopus thingy :)  "



"Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message
news:109lqlf5lrh1kcd@corp.supernews.com...
> "Americhicken" wrote ...
> > all camcorders video resolution are the same?
>
> Every DV (DV, mini-DV, DVCAM, DVCpro, ~D8~) camcorder
> running the NTSC video standard (North America, Japan, etc.) runs
> 720x480. From those that cost $295 to those that cost $29,500.
>
>
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 1:29:49 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"Americhicken" wrote ...
> Where oh where is the difference in quality between running
> the video thru my new canopus thingy and my 5 year old video
> camera that has firewire.??

Dunno. Depends on how good your 5 year old video camera
is at A/D conversion and DV encoding.

> Why did i buy the canopus adc100?

You are wanting us to guess?

> why does anyone?

Well, I bought one because I don't have a DV camcorder
that converts. At least it is frequently not available in my
editing area, so I needed an outboard AD/DA converter.

> Why did all these people tell me to "get the canopus thingy :)  "

Because we understood your question/situation as needing
an outboard converter? If you already had a camcorder that
does A/D and D/A conversion, did you mention that fact?
Or perhaps because you wanted to record content protected
with Macrovision?
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 5:08:40 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"Americhicken" <Americhicken@nstoekr_td.com> wrote in
news:HamdncntBLfzVAfd4p2dnA@comcast.com:

> These camcorders don't have the same resolution:
>
> http://www.bizrate.com/buy/refine__att--311499,att31149...
more,cat_
> id--11140000.html

Wanna bet?

....Gino

> "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in
> message news:2fvq1tF2thg6U1@uni-berlin.de...
>> Americhicken wrote:
>> > all camcorders video resolution are the same?
>>
>> Unless you get into high-definition models, yes.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>>
>> > "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in
>> > message news:2fvn23F2tqq0U1@uni-berlin.de...
>> >> Americhicken wrote:
>> >>> I have a digital camcorder with firewire.
>> >>>
>> >>> The resolution of the camcorder is only 600x800.
>> >>>
>> >>> Can i do this:
>> >>>
>> >>> Play VHS tapes in VCR
>> >>> Into the analog port on my camcorder
>> >>> Out the firewire port of the camcorder
>> >>> Into my computer firwire port
>> >>>
>> >>> and expect to get greater resolution than 600x800?
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> Maybe the still photo mode is 800 x 600 but the camcorder's
>> >> video resolution is 720 x 480 so that's what you'll get with a
>> >> firewire transfer. Go to www.videohelp.com for a whole lot of
>> >> reading & learning.
>> >>
>> >> Mike
>
>



--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 5:32:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I think all DV camcorders have the same resolution of 720 X 480. What does vary
is the amount of pixels in the CCD sensor chip. Usually the higher number of
pixels in the sensor will result in better video, but the resulting resolution
will be the same.

Myself, I can't wait for High Definition DV. There is a format called HDV, which
hopefully will be as easy to edit as regular DV.

I output my final DV video projects to DVD format. Up till now, I've been a
little disappointed that the resulting DVD doesn't retain all the quality of the
original DV footage. I'm hoping that with HDV video the resulting DVD will be
better because the source material will be much higher quality than DV.

"Americhicken" <Americhicken@nstoekr_td.com> wrote in message
news:HamdncntBLfzVAfd4p2dnA@comcast.com...
> These camcorders don't have the same resolution:
>
>
http://www.bizrate.com/buy/refine__att--311499,att31149...
>
>
>
>
>
>
> "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> news:2fvq1tF2thg6U1@uni-berlin.de...
> > Americhicken wrote:
> > > all camcorders video resolution are the same?
> >
> > Unless you get into high-definition models, yes.
> >
> > Mike
> >
> >
> > > "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > > news:2fvn23F2tqq0U1@uni-berlin.de...
> > >> Americhicken wrote:
> > >>> I have a digital camcorder with firewire.
> > >>>
> > >>> The resolution of the camcorder is only 600x800.
> > >>>
> > >>> Can i do this:
> > >>>
> > >>> Play VHS tapes in VCR
> > >>> Into the analog port on my camcorder
> > >>> Out the firewire port of the camcorder
> > >>> Into my computer firwire port
> > >>>
> > >>> and expect to get greater resolution than 600x800?
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> Maybe the still photo mode is 800 x 600 but the camcorder's video
> > >> resolution is 720 x 480 so that's what you'll get with a firewire
> > >> transfer. Go to www.videohelp.com for a whole lot of reading &
> > >> learning.
> > >>
> > >> Mike
>
>
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 2:15:49 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"Americhicken" wrote ...
> > Straight firewire cards ARE all the same (not counting
> quality control) in that they pass a firewire signal from
> your camcorder to your computer.
>
>
> not counting quality control?
> not counting quality control?
> not counting quality control?

We heard you the first time.
"quality control" refers to how well the firewire card hardware
is constructed. Has NOTHING to do with any "quality" of the
signals (video or otherwise) passing through them.

> When I asked,"Where is the difference in quality", I was
> referring to the "where is the difference in quality" part of
> "where is the difference in quality" question.

You're losing me. Try asking something more concrete.

> If it is not in the firewire resolution specification, then
> let's not keep bringing up the firewire resolution
> specification
>
> Instead, let's turn our attention to the "where is the difference in
> quality" part of "where is the difference in quality" question.

Try not to be so cute. You are just alienating the people
you are asking to answer your questions.

You can buy analog->DV converters for <100USD to likely
somewhere >10000USD. Clearly the 10KUSD units are
"higher quality" as the people who have those kinds of budgets
aren't stupid enough to throw their money away for nothing.

Some generic differences between low-end consumer video
equipment and equivalent high-end professional gear:
Higher resolution (10+ bit vs. 6-8 bit) signal processing.
More sophisticated noise reduction, motion sensing,
artifact reduction, standards conversion, etc. algorithms.
Better physical construction (metal vs. plastic)
Better connectors.
Pro interfaces (RGB, SDI, Betacam, etc.)
Wider temperature operating range. etc. etc. etc.

Of course, if you are using a high-end converter with a
low-end source (like a $300 camcorder with poor lighting)
the deficiencies of the cheap source will likely swamp any
advantages of the pro equipment.
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 5:35:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Thu, 6 May 2004 20:38:00 -0600, "Americhicken"
<Americhicken@nstoekr_td.com> wrote:

>alright then. Point taken. Before I stuff a pair of stinky sweat socks down
>my throat with my own fist:
>
>Where oh where is the difference in quality between running the video thru
>my new canopus thingy and my 5 year old video camera that has firewire.??

If your camera has Firewire, and what you want to do is transfer video
to computer, you don't need the ADC100.

>Why did i buy the canopus adc100? why does anyone?
>
>Why did all these people tell me to "get the canopus thingy :)  "
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 5:35:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

because ,as we finally learn, there are differences in quality..

"Laurence Payne" <l@laurenceDELETEpayne.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
news:a70n9050jt4g4rinj11b18vnk42un6ai6f@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 6 May 2004 20:38:00 -0600, "Americhicken"
> <Americhicken@nstoekr_td.com> wrote:
>
> >alright then. Point taken. Before I stuff a pair of stinky sweat socks
down
> >my throat with my own fist:
> >
> >Where oh where is the difference in quality between running the video
thru
> >my new canopus thingy and my 5 year old video camera that has firewire.??
>
> If your camera has Firewire, and what you want to do is transfer video
> to computer, you don't need the ADC100.
>
> >Why did i buy the canopus adc100? why does anyone?
> >
> >Why did all these people tell me to "get the canopus thingy :)  "
>
>
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 8:57:43 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"Americhicken" <Americhicken@nstoekr_td.com> wrote in message
news:mYWdnTKcwr6zKgbdRVn-vw@comcast.com...
> > Straight firewire cards ARE all the same (not counting quality control)
in
> > that they pass a firewire signal from your camcorder to your computer.
>
>
> not counting quality control?
> not counting quality control?
> not counting quality control?
> When I asked,"Where is the difference in quality", I was referring to the
> "where is the difference in quality" part of "where is the difference in
> quality" question.
>
> If it is not in the firewire resolution specification, then let's not keep
> bringing up the firewire resolution specification
>
> Instead, let's turn our attention to the "where is the difference in
> quality" part of "where is the difference in quality" question.
>
> Thank you.
>
You are pretty redundant, aren't you?
You are pretty redundant, aren't you?
You are pretty redundant, aren't you?
You are pretty redundant, aren't you?

You should pay more attention to the answers you get
rather than chastising those that are trying to help you.

Once the signal becomes digital there is no loss of quality.
However, there can be differences in the quality of the analog
to digital conversion process.

Those differences do not involve the resolution (always 720 x540),
but they can involve differences of noise introduced into the signal,
color purity, sharpness, and all that effects the quality of the analog
signal before it has been converted to digital.

That is your answer

David
!