Digital cam to USB2.0 port? Mysterious cable....

I can't figure out what the cable that came with my digital camcorder is
for. One end is the standard DV end, the other end looks like either USB
2.0 or ethernet...is it feasible to use those for transferring to the
computer? The cable in the instructions shows a firewire cable (one side
is rounded) so I can't decide whether I need to install a firewire port or
not, because that's not the cable that actually came with it.

It's a Canon ZR80 (I think) by the way.

"Jim Patterson" wrote ...
> I can't figure out what the cable that came with my digital camcorder is
> for. One end is the standard DV end, the other end looks like either USB
> 2.0 or ethernet...is it feasible to use those for transferring to the
> computer? The cable in the instructions shows a firewire cable (one side
> is rounded) so I can't decide whether I need to install a firewire port or
> not, because that's not the cable that actually came with it.

There is no such thing as a "standard DV end".
DV is a data format, NOT a cable/connector standard.

OTOH, there ARE standards for Firewire/iWire/IEEE1394
cables/connectors. DV is almost universally conducted from
camcorder to computer via Firewire/iWire/IEEE1394.
(Some very new equipment is starting to use USB2).

Your cable sounds a USB "A" (larger, 6-pin) to "mini-B"
(tiny, 4-pin) cable. The "mini-B" USB connector is almost
identical to the smaller Firewire/1394 4-pin connector, but
the do not interconnect (fortunately!). The USB cable is
most likely used for downloading still pictures and/or
using your camcorder as a low-res "netcam". USB1.x is
not fast enough for full-speed, full-frame video.

Leo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001

"Jim Patterson" <hangfire@arthur.avalon.net> wrote in message

> I can't figure out what the cable that came with my digital camcorder is
> for. One end is the standard DV end, the other end looks like either USB
> 2.0 or ethernet...is it feasible to use those for transferring to the
> computer? The cable in the instructions shows a firewire cable (one side
> is rounded) so I can't decide whether I need to install a firewire port or
> not, because that's not the cable that actually came with it.
>
> It's a Canon ZR80 (I think) by the way.

You need a firewire port on your pc. FYI, you can now get the Adaptec
firewire card at Compusa this week, possibly ends after tomorrow, for $40
with $20 mail-in rebate. It comes with the correct cable for your camcorder.

Jim Patterson <hangfire@arthur.avalon.net> wrote in

> I can't figure out what the cable that came with my digital
> camcorder is for. One end is the standard DV end, the other end
> looks like either USB 2.0 or ethernet...is it feasible to use
> those for transferring to the computer? The cable in the
> instructions shows a firewire cable (one side is rounded) so I
> can't decide whether I need to install a firewire port or not,
> because that's not the cable that actually came with it.
>
> It's a Canon ZR80 (I think) by the way.

Please be aware that there are two kinds of mini-USB connectors which
look a lot like the 4-pin FireWire plug.

These are 4-pin and 5-pin mini-USB connectors, and of course the other
end of the cable looks like a regular USB A-end plug (because that's
exactly what it is). The 4-pin USB looks more like the 4-pin FW plug
than the 5-pin USB does, but that one could fool you too...

USB-1 and USB-2 connectors are the same, BTW.

HTH,
Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com

On Thu, 6 May 2004 18:17:20 -0500, Jim Patterson
<hangfire@arthur.avalon.net> wrote:

>I can't figure out what the cable that came with my digital camcorder is
>for. One end is the standard DV end, the other end looks like either USB
>2.0 or ethernet...is it feasible to use those for transferring to the
>computer?

It is. USB 2.0 has more than enough transfer rate for that.

"Bariloche" <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 6 May 2004 18:17:20 -0500, Jim Patterson
> <hangfire@arthur.avalon.net> wrote:
>
> >I can't figure out what the cable that came with my digital camcorder is
> >for. One end is the standard DV end, the other end looks like either USB
> >2.0 or ethernet...is it feasible to use those for transferring to the
> >computer?
>
> It is. USB 2.0 has more than enough transfer rate for that.

So true, If I remember Big Bird and The Count correctly
480 is more than 420.

LoL;
Ken

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> "Bariloche" <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 6 May 2004 18:17:20 -0500, Jim Patterson
> > <hangfire@arthur.avalon.net> wrote:
> >
> > >I can't figure out what the cable that came with my digital camcorder
is
> > >for. One end is the standard DV end, the other end looks like either
USB
> > >2.0 or ethernet...is it feasible to use those for transferring to the
> > >computer?
> >
> > It is. USB 2.0 has more than enough transfer rate for that.
>
> So true, If I remember Big Bird and The Count correctly
> 480 is more than 420.

Raw (and particularly BURST) speed is not the only
consideration. I still haven't seen anything that objectively
refutes the rumor that USB2 can't handle long (>20 min?)
DV transfer, or transfers with several high-speed devices
on the bus.

So is anybody out there now reliably capturing/outputing
DV via USB2?

> "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Bariloche" <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote in message

> is
> USB
> > >
> > > It is. USB 2.0 has more than enough transfer rate for that.
> >
> > So true, If I remember Big Bird and The Count correctly
> > 480 is more than 420.
>
> Raw (and particularly BURST) speed is not the only
> consideration. I still haven't seen anything that objectively
> refutes the rumor that USB2 can't handle long (>20 min?)
> DV transfer, or transfers with several high-speed devices
> on the bus.
>
> So is anybody out there now reliably capturing/outputing
> DV via USB2?

You may have the real issue/ point to be established, by actual
practical experience, not just rumor. There maybe real reasons
not to use USB2, but that it doesn't have "enough transfer rate",
isn't one. From what I've seen they appear to be "about the same",
although I haven't the means to do a proper test using the same
application and hardware, for both.

Luck;
Ken

On Fri, 7 May 2004 21:36:32 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
<rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:

>Raw (and particularly BURST) speed is not the only
>consideration. I still haven't seen anything that objectively
>refutes the rumor that USB2 can't handle long (>20 min?)
>DV transfer, or transfers with several high-speed devices
>on the bus.

You don't need to refute a rumour until you've confirmed it. :)

I don't have experience of video over USB2. But I've used a
multi-channel audio interface which has no problem with an hour-long
recording. There doesn't seem any basic problem with continuous data
streaming over a long period.

How big a file-size would 20 minutes of dv create? Might that be
relevant?