Can surround sound informat be stored on a AVI file?

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

If I were to setup where I wanted the sounds located in a surround
sound setup (eg using Pinnacle 9) then saved the video as a DV avi
file would the surround sound information be saved also or would I
need to save the file as an mpg2 file?

Regards Brian
3 answers Last reply
More about surround sound informat stored file

    On a sunny day (Fri, 07 May 2004 15:38:50 +1200) it happened Brian
    <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in <j01m90ll3juu50m0jciv59of7rmn7qnkm0@4ax.com>:

    >If I were to setup where I wanted the sounds located in a surround
    >sound setup (eg using Pinnacle 9) then saved the video as a DV avi
    >file would the surround sound information be saved also or would I
    >need to save the file as an mpg2 file?
    >
    >Regards Brian
    Surround would require AC3.
    You can of cause make your own format .AVI file...
    Best is DVD format, where the video is mpeg2, and the audio mp2 or
    ac3.
    In such a case you can have up to 8 audio channels.
    I doubt Pinacle supports authoring it though.
    I do it in Linux all the time.
    http://ip51cf87c4.direct-adsl.nl/panteltje/dvd/
    In windows the soft to author that will cost some money I think.
    JP

    On Fri, 07 May 2004 16:26:26 GMT, Jan Panteltje
    <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Surround would require AC3.

    And VirtualDubMod handles Ac3 AVIs fine.

    On a sunny day (Sat, 08 May 2004 22:45:15 +0200) it happened Bariloche
    <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote in
    <pkhq9099li51vs2f146j4bpl1m2ep65985@4ax.com>:

    >On Fri, 07 May 2004 16:26:26 GMT, Jan Panteltje
    ><pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Surround would require AC3.
    >
    >And VirtualDubMod handles Ac3 AVIs fine.
    Great!
    JP

Tuner Cards Desktops Video AVI Graphics