hard disk for video editing under Windows XP : MAXTOR Diam..

What is the best (performance, reliability, silence) hard disk between
the 2 following ones for video editing under Windows XP with a COMPAQ PC
with Athlon 1700 and nVidia nForce chipset :
MAXTOR DiamondMaxPlus 9 [6Y160P0]
or
SEAGATE Barracuda [ST3160023A]

Both with 160 Go, 7200 rpm, 8 Mb cache, same price.
Differences :
Maxtor : ATA133, average seek 9.2 ms (according to Maxtor).
Seagate : ATA 100, average seek time 8.5 ms (according to Seagate), SMART.

I have read that IBM hard disk should be avoided.
Do you confirm that at least the 2 HDD I mention should be a good choice ?

Best regards.
7 answers Last reply
More about hard disk video editing windows maxtor diam

    > What is the best (performance, reliability, silence) hard disk between
    > the 2 following ones for video editing under Windows XP with a COMPAQ
    PC

    You'll find your answer here:

    http://storagereview.com/comparison.html

    > Best regards.

    I use the Maxtor DiamondMax 160GB as a 3rd hard drive, for finished
    video storage and it works great. At my local Costco they sell for
    $129, including a serial ATA card, which I needed, since all
    controllers were full. It was a great deal, I've had it for over
    6months now, with no problem.

    I don't know about the other one, but based on my own experience, all
    hard drives have a same chance of failure, although I did have more
    problems with earlier Western Digitals, which I used to use
    exclusively. I have not had a maxtor fail on me yet (knock on wood)

    Philippe wrote:

    > What is the best (performance, reliability, silence) hard disk between
    > the 2 following ones for video editing under Windows XP with a COMPAQ PC
    > with Athlon 1700 and nVidia nForce chipset :
    > MAXTOR DiamondMaxPlus 9 [6Y160P0]
    > or
    > SEAGATE Barracuda [ST3160023A]
    >
    > Both with 160 Go, 7200 rpm, 8 Mb cache, same price.
    > Differences :
    > Maxtor : ATA133, average seek 9.2 ms (according to Maxtor).
    > Seagate : ATA 100, average seek time 8.5 ms (according to Seagate), SMART.
    >
    > I have read that IBM hard disk should be avoided.
    > Do you confirm that at least the 2 HDD I mention should be a good choice ?
    >
    > Best regards.

    IBM has exited the drive market. They sold their technology to Hitachi, so I
    would avoid the Hitachi "Deskstar" product line. I had an 80 GB IBM drive fail
    after only a couple of years.

    I'm having good luck with a WD 160 GB and 250 GB drive. Both are very, very
    quiet and plenty fast enough.

    I've read good things about the Maxtor and Seagate too.

    "S.M.A.R.T." isn't what it's cracked up to be though. I recommend disabling it
    in the BIOS. At work we had a LOT of 2.5" drives started reporting errors but
    when sent back for failure analysis there were none.

    "Philippe" <philou-666@caramail.com> wrote in message
    > What is the best (performance, reliability, silence) hard disk between
    > the 2 following ones for video editing under Windows XP with a COMPAQ PC
    > with Athlon 1700 and nVidia nForce chipset :
    > MAXTOR DiamondMaxPlus 9 [6Y160P0]
    > or
    > SEAGATE Barracuda [ST3160023A]
    >
    > Both with 160 Go, 7200 rpm, 8 Mb cache, same price.
    > Differences :
    > Maxtor : ATA133, average seek 9.2 ms (according to Maxtor).
    > Seagate : ATA 100, average seek time 8.5 ms (according to Seagate), SMART.
    >
    > I have read that IBM hard disk should be avoided.
    > Do you confirm that at least the 2 HDD I mention should be a good choice ?
    >
    > Best regards.

    OK Here is some Free information on Disk Drive additions.

    1: Each Vendor [WD, Maxtor,Seagate,etc] uses a different amount of power
    to drive the HD.
    What this means is that adding drives SHOULD require that your +12v
    can supply the 1-2.8 amps of power to run it.
    2: Maxtor uses the least 12v and the most 5v of the disks I checked.

    3: Remember that a "newer" P4 motherboard needs the extra 4 pin 12v
    plug. This is because the MB uses 8 to 10 amps of 12v.

    4: Also remember that a "newer" CD-RW or DVD drive will need 2 amps of
    12v

    Soooo - - P4 motherboard = 10a; Two drives = 4a; two CD = 4a ===== 18a of
    12v LOTS OF LUCK

    "Philippe" <philou-666@caramail.com> wrote in message
    > What is the best (performance, reliability, silence) hard disk between
    > the 2 following ones for video editing under Windows XP with a COMPAQ PC
    > with Athlon 1700 and nVidia nForce chipset :
    > MAXTOR DiamondMaxPlus 9 [6Y160P0]
    > or
    > SEAGATE Barracuda [ST3160023A]

    You're looking for an opinion. Over the years I have had excellent results
    with Maxtor and a few problems with Seagate. Times and technology changes.
    Unless you can scour the internet and find a meaningful test comparison, I
    wouldn't lose sleep over it. My tactics over the last 10 years or so has
    been to purchase locally from a company who will take a product back without
    a hassle.

    Rich

    Both will work. Just make sure you have active cooling on these drives. You need
    some kind of fan pointing at the drive. Overheating is the number one cause of
    hard drive failure. This problem is way worse with 7200 rpm drives.

    Philippe wrote:
    > What is the best (performance, reliability, silence) hard disk
    > between the 2 following ones for video editing under Windows
    > XP with a COMPAQ PC with Athlon 1700 and nVidia nForce
    > chipset

    I would buy a Samsung. Better warranty, FDB. Check the reviews
    at Newegg.com. I put one in my in-laws' computer, and was very
    impressed with the acoustics.

Tuner Cards Maxtor Windows XP Video Editing Hard Drives Seagate Graphics Product