tmpgenc and ac3?

Can tmpgenc handle an mpeg-2 file that has an AC3 audio stream?

I've extracted a section of a dvd as a .vob file and renamed it with the
extension .mpg. The file plays fine in WinDVD (video and audio are
perfect). But when I try to load that file into tmpgenc, it only accepts it
as the "video" source file. It still wants me to load an audio source file
to go with it.

So .... I tried something else. I know how to demux the mpeg-2 file into
separate video and audio streams. I used Vobrator to do this and ended up
with a .m2v file and a separate .ac3 file. The video stream loads fine into
tmpgenc but when I select the audio AC3 file I get a "cannot open or
unsupported" error message.

Do I need to convert the AC3 file to WAV or some other format for tmpgenc
to be happy? If so, how do I convert AC3 to something tmpgenc can handle?

By the way, I don't have any trouble with tmpgenc if I start with an SVCD
mpeg file. In fact, when I load/browse to an SVCD mpg video file, tmpgenc
automatically selects the same file as the audio source. I assume that's
because it can handle the audio stream in the SVCD video file.

Just trying to figure this out!

Thanks in advance for any help,

...... tripaz

On Sat, 08 May 2004 13:35:20 GMT, tripaz <nobody@nospam.com> wrote:

>Can tmpgenc handle an mpeg-2 file that has an AC3 audio stream?
>
>I've extracted a section of a dvd as a .vob file and renamed it with the
>extension .mpg. The file plays fine in WinDVD (video and audio are
>perfect). But when I try to load that file into tmpgenc, it only accepts it
>as the "video" source file. It still wants me to load an audio source file
>to go with it.
>
>So .... I tried something else. I know how to demux the mpeg-2 file into
>separate video and audio streams. I used Vobrator to do this and ended up
>with a .m2v file and a separate .ac3 file. The video stream loads fine into
>tmpgenc but when I select the audio AC3 file I get a "cannot open or
>unsupported" error message.
>
>Do I need to convert the AC3 file to WAV or some other format for tmpgenc
>to be happy? If so, how do I convert AC3 to something tmpgenc can handle?
>
>By the way, I don't have any trouble with tmpgenc if I start with an SVCD
>mpeg file. In fact, when I load/browse to an SVCD mpg video file, tmpgenc
>automatically selects the same file as the audio source. I assume that's
>because it can handle the audio stream in the SVCD video file.

TMPGenc doesn't natively decode AC3 audio, so if you wish to
recompress it, you will have to decode it to a WAV. You can, however,
mux the AC3 audio with your new MPEG stream and have the original
soundtrack with your new video stream. The only problem with this
approach is that you wouldn't be able to, say, reencode to a VCD file
and expect it to play in a standard VCD player (Since VCD format
requires MPEG compressed sound, not AC3). TMPGenc can handle MPEG
audio natively, and this is why your SVCD mpeg files load without any
problems.

Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
I have no fears in life,
for I have already survived Theta-G!

Neil Nadelman <arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)> wrote in

> On Sat, 08 May 2004 13:35:20 GMT, tripaz <nobody@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>Can tmpgenc handle an mpeg-2 file that has an AC3 audio stream?
>>
>>I've extracted a section of a dvd as a .vob file and renamed it with
>>the extension .mpg. The file plays fine in WinDVD (video and audio are
>>perfect). But when I try to load that file into tmpgenc, it only
>>accepts it as the "video" source file. It still wants me to load an
>>audio source file to go with it.
>>
>>So .... I tried something else. I know how to demux the mpeg-2 file
>>into separate video and audio streams. I used Vobrator to do this and
>>ended up with a .m2v file and a separate .ac3 file. The video stream
>>loads fine into tmpgenc but when I select the audio AC3 file I get a
>>"cannot open or unsupported" error message.
>>
>>Do I need to convert the AC3 file to WAV or some other format for
>>tmpgenc to be happy? If so, how do I convert AC3 to something tmpgenc
>>can handle?
>>
>>By the way, I don't have any trouble with tmpgenc if I start with an
>>SVCD mpeg file. In fact, when I load/browse to an SVCD mpg video file,
>>tmpgenc automatically selects the same file as the audio source. I
>>assume that's because it can handle the audio stream in the SVCD video
>>file.
>
> TMPGenc doesn't natively decode AC3 audio, so if you wish to
> recompress it, you will have to decode it to a WAV. You can, however,
> mux the AC3 audio with your new MPEG stream and have the original
> soundtrack with your new video stream. The only problem with this
> approach is that you wouldn't be able to, say, reencode to a VCD file
> and expect it to play in a standard VCD player (Since VCD format
> requires MPEG compressed sound, not AC3). TMPGenc can handle MPEG
> audio natively, and this is why your SVCD mpeg files load without any
> problems.

> Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
> I have no fears in life,
> for I have already survived Theta-G!

Neil - thanks for the reply.

Any freeware that will convert my ac3 audio file to wav format?

....... tripaz

"tripaz" <nobody@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Can tmpgenc handle an mpeg-2 file that has an AC3 audio stream?
>
> I've extracted a section of a dvd as a .vob file and renamed it with the
> extension .mpg. The file plays fine in WinDVD (video and audio are
> perfect). But when I try to load that file into tmpgenc, it only accepts
it
> as the "video" source file. It still wants me to load an audio source file
> to go with it.
>
> So .... I tried something else. I know how to demux the mpeg-2 file into
> separate video and audio streams. I used Vobrator to do this and ended up
> with a .m2v file and a separate .ac3 file. The video stream loads fine
into
> tmpgenc but when I select the audio AC3 file I get a "cannot open or
> unsupported" error message.
>
> Do I need to convert the AC3 file to WAV or some other format for tmpgenc
> to be happy? If so, how do I convert AC3 to something tmpgenc can handle?
>
> By the way, I don't have any trouble with tmpgenc if I start with an SVCD
> mpeg file. In fact, when I load/browse to an SVCD mpg video file, tmpgenc
> automatically selects the same file as the audio source. I assume that's
> because it can handle the audio stream in the SVCD video file.
>
> Just trying to figure this out!
>

> Thanks in advance for any help,
>
> ..... tripaz

Just in case; you are talking about the TMPGEnc Encoder
not the TMPGEnc DVD Author?

Luck;
Ken

> Neil Nadelman <arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)> wrote in
>
> > On Sat, 08 May 2004 13:35:20 GMT, tripaz <nobody@nospam.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Can tmpgenc handle an mpeg-2 file that has an AC3 audio stream?
> >>
> >>I've extracted a section of a dvd as a .vob file and renamed it with
> >>the extension .mpg. The file plays fine in WinDVD (video and audio are
> >>perfect). But when I try to load that file into tmpgenc, it only
> >>accepts it as the "video" source file. It still wants me to load an
> >>audio source file to go with it.
> >>
> >>So .... I tried something else. I know how to demux the mpeg-2 file
> >>into separate video and audio streams. I used Vobrator to do this and
> >>ended up with a .m2v file and a separate .ac3 file. The video stream
> >>loads fine into tmpgenc but when I select the audio AC3 file I get a
> >>"cannot open or unsupported" error message.
> >>
> >>Do I need to convert the AC3 file to WAV or some other format for
> >>tmpgenc to be happy? If so, how do I convert AC3 to something tmpgenc
> >>can handle?
> >>
> >>By the way, I don't have any trouble with tmpgenc if I start with an
> >>SVCD mpeg file. In fact, when I load/browse to an SVCD mpg video file,
> >>tmpgenc automatically selects the same file as the audio source. I
> >>assume that's because it can handle the audio stream in the SVCD video
> >>file.
> >
> > TMPGenc doesn't natively decode AC3 audio, so if you wish to
> > recompress it, you will have to decode it to a WAV. You can, however,
> > mux the AC3 audio with your new MPEG stream and have the original
> > soundtrack with your new video stream. The only problem with this
> > approach is that you wouldn't be able to, say, reencode to a VCD file
> > and expect it to play in a standard VCD player (Since VCD format
> > requires MPEG compressed sound, not AC3). TMPGenc can handle MPEG
> > audio natively, and this is why your SVCD mpeg files load without any
> > problems.

> > Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
> > I have no fears in life,
> > for I have already survived Theta-G!
> >

> Neil - thanks for the reply.
>
> Any freeware that will convert my ac3 audio file to wav format?
>
> ...... tripaz

Try Besweet or AC3Machine here-- http://dspguru.doom9.net/ also go to
http://www.doom9.org then to downloads and select full software page and
then go down to audio tools, there are several that will convert AC3.

Mike T

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in

> "tripaz" <nobody@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Can tmpgenc handle an mpeg-2 file that has an AC3 audio stream?
>>
>> I've extracted a section of a dvd as a .vob file and renamed it with
>> the extension .mpg. The file plays fine in WinDVD (video and audio
>> are perfect). But when I try to load that file into tmpgenc, it only
>> accepts
> it
>> as the "video" source file. It still wants me to load an audio source
>> file to go with it.
>>
>> So .... I tried something else. I know how to demux the mpeg-2 file
>> into separate video and audio streams. I used Vobrator to do this and
>> ended up with a .m2v file and a separate .ac3 file. The video stream
>> loads fine
> into
>> tmpgenc but when I select the audio AC3 file I get a "cannot open or
>> unsupported" error message.
>>
>> Do I need to convert the AC3 file to WAV or some other format for
>> tmpgenc to be happy? If so, how do I convert AC3 to something tmpgenc
>> can handle?
>>
>> By the way, I don't have any trouble with tmpgenc if I start with an
>> SVCD mpeg file. In fact, when I load/browse to an SVCD mpg video
>> file, tmpgenc automatically selects the same file as the audio
>> source. I assume that's because it can handle the audio stream in the
>> SVCD video file.
>>
>> Just trying to figure this out!
>>

>> Thanks in advance for any help,
>>
>> ..... tripaz
>
> Just in case; you are talking about the TMPGEnc Encoder
> not the TMPGEnc DVD Author?
>
> Luck;
> Ken

correct .... just the encoder

...... tripaz

I would like to ask a question as well that has me puzzled. I had
several divx movie files that have an ac3 audio codec in them. Now
they play fine on my WMP I have the codecs and everything however, in
TMPGEnc when I try to convert them to vcd it gets stuck or freezes. No
error message.Now I am aware that I can extract the audio in vdub and
make it a wave file and then TMPGEnc will handle it but, I have done
this before with several of these files without converting to a wave
file and just putting the avi file in TMPGEnc. I had to re-install
windows on my pc recently and ever since then I can no longer simply
use an avi file with ac3 codec in TMPGEnc. Is there something I am
doing wrong? Because for some reason it was working and now it simply
is not. I know for a fact since I did a batch of about 9 of them
before I had to reinstall windows. Please help if anyone can, thanks!

On Sun, 09 May 2004 14:21:52 GMT, Just Me <Justme@me.com> wrote:

>I would like to ask a question as well that has me puzzled. I had
>several divx movie files that have an ac3 audio codec in them. Now
>they play fine on my WMP I have the codecs and everything however, in
>TMPGEnc when I try to convert them to vcd it gets stuck or freezes.

One thing you can try is giving a higher priority to the AVI VFW
compatibility reader in "Option | Enviromental setting... | VFAPI
plugin". If that is not enough, try loading it through an Avisynth
script.

On Sun, 09 May 2004 22:32:34 +0200, Bariloche
<bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 09 May 2004 14:21:52 GMT, Just Me <Justme@me.com> wrote:
>
>>I would like to ask a question as well that has me puzzled. I had
>>several divx movie files that have an ac3 audio codec in them. Now
>>they play fine on my WMP I have the codecs and everything however, in
>>TMPGEnc when I try to convert them to vcd it gets stuck or freezes.
>
>One thing you can try is giving a higher priority to the AVI VFW
>compatibility reader in "Option | Enviromental setting... | VFAPI
>plugin". If that is not enough, try loading it through an Avisynth
>script.

Uh thanks! I will try the 1st option but just for the record can you
give me the site for an Avisynth script and how to use it. I have
never used it.

On Mon, 10 May 2004 09:43:54 GMT, Just Me <Justme@me.com> wrote:

>can you
>give me the site for an Avisynth script and how to use it. I have
>never used it.

Avisynth's site is at http://www.avisynth.org

A script is just a text file than can be opened by video programs and
players, as if it were an Avi. It has commands for processing a video
file. Just handling a clip, without any further processing, is very
simple. Write a Test.avs text file, with just one line

AviSource("SomeClip.avi")

where you would put the name of an actual clip file. Try to open it in
MediaPlayer: SomeClip.avi plays.

Say you want to load a Wmv file into VirtualDub -which can only handle
AVIs. You just use a script

DirectShowSource("SomeClip.wmv")

and load it into VirtualDub, which can open scripts fine.

Tmpgenc can also load those scripts, and thus get the clips already
decoded by Avisynth, instead of doing them itself.

On Mon, 10 May 2004 12:50:43 +0200, Bariloche
<bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 10 May 2004 09:43:54 GMT, Just Me <Justme@me.com> wrote:
>
>>can you
>>give me the site for an Avisynth script and how to use it. I have
>>never used it.
>
>Avisynth's site is at http://www.avisynth.org
>
>A script is just a text file than can be opened by video programs and
>players, as if it were an Avi. It has commands for processing a video
>file. Just handling a clip, without any further processing, is very
>simple. Write a Test.avs text file, with just one line
>
> AviSource("SomeClip.avi")
>
>where you would put the name of an actual clip file. Try to open it in
>MediaPlayer: SomeClip.avi plays.
>
>Say you want to load a Wmv file into VirtualDub -which can only handle
>AVIs. You just use a script
>
> DirectShowSource("SomeClip.wmv")
>
>and load it into VirtualDub, which can open scripts fine.
>
>Tmpgenc can also load those scripts, and thus get the clips already
>decoded by Avisynth, instead of doing them itself.

Thanks so much!!!