Captureing device error: "Busy

Can Some one help me to solve this problem" I try Movie Mker and Nero to
capture. They both will respond with " the capture device is being used by
another source, I must close it down" Well to my knowledge, I have nothing
else open and don't know where to begin. I have an ATI All in Wonder 128.
13 answers Last reply
More about captureing device error busy

    From what are you trying to copy?

    Is this analog or digital video?

    What happens when you use the ATI MultiMedia Center?

    Did you read the ATI manual that came with the graphics card?
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "JaneyFaye" <JaneyFaye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can Some one help me to solve this problem" I try Movie Mker and Nero to
    > capture. They both will respond with " the capture device is being used by
    > another source, I must close it down" Well to my knowledge, I have
    > nothing
    > else open and don't know where to begin. I have an ATI All in Wonder 128.

    Trying to capture from VCR as I have in past with movie maker and nero, but
    since re-install cannot. I suppose it is analog. as for the Ati mc..I don't
    have it installed , just the updated ATI All In Wonder 128 PCI driver.

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > From what are you trying to copy?
    >
    > Is this analog or digital video?
    >
    > What happens when you use the ATI MultiMedia Center?
    >
    > Did you read the ATI manual that came with the graphics card?
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >
    > In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >
    > "JaneyFaye" <JaneyFaye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Can Some one help me to solve this problem" I try Movie Mker and Nero to
    > > capture. They both will respond with " the capture device is being used by
    > > another source, I must close it down" Well to my knowledge, I have
    > > nothing
    > > else open and don't know where to begin. I have an ATI All in Wonder 128.

    Did you update the driver before the problem occurred .. or after?
    --

    > Trying to capture from VCR as I have in past with movie maker and nero,
    > but
    > since re-install cannot. I suppose it is analog. as for the Ati mc..I
    > don't
    > have it installed , just the updated ATI All In Wonder 128 PCI driver.
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> From what are you trying to copy?
    >>
    >> Is this analog or digital video?
    >>
    >> What happens when you use the ATI MultiMedia Center?
    >>
    >> Did you read the ATI manual that came with the graphics card?
    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    >> Printing & Imaging
    >>
    >> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >>
    >> "JaneyFaye" <JaneyFaye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Can Some one help me to solve this problem" I try Movie Mker and Nero
    >> > capture. They both will respond with " the capture device is being used
    >> > by
    >> > another source, I must close it down" Well to my knowledge, I have
    >> > nothing
    >> > else open and don't know where to begin. I have an ATI All in Wonder
    >> > 128.

    You may want to test by rebooting into Safe Mode | Control Panel |
    Add/Remove all the software and hardware connected to ATI then reboot and
    make sure the folder is deleted with windows explorer: C:\Program
    Files\AtiFiles, etc

    Then reinstall everything and reboot even if it does not request a reboot.

    You will find much more info at:
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    =======================================
    Regards, Gary 'Doc' Adams in Louisiana @ 314.479.8201

    LsuEdu@msn.comREMOVE
    http://computerteachers.digital-mall-online.com/
    ~ Read to Learn - Write to Think ~
    =======================================

    > Did you update the driver before the problem occurred .. or after?
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >
    > In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >
    > "JaneyFaye" <JaneyFaye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Trying to capture from VCR as I have in past with movie maker and nero,
    > > but
    > > since re-install cannot. I suppose it is analog. as for the Ati mc..I
    > > don't
    > > have it installed , just the updated ATI All In Wonder 128 PCI driver.
    > >
    > > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > >> From what are you trying to copy?
    > >>
    > >> Is this analog or digital video?
    > >>
    > >> What happens when you use the ATI MultiMedia Center?
    > >>
    > >> Did you read the ATI manual that came with the graphics card?
    > >> --
    > >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    > >> Printing & Imaging
    > >>
    > >> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    > >>
    > >> "JaneyFaye" <JaneyFaye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Thanks Cari, But I have searched every forum, every microsoft support, I have
    un installed and re installed,paid for a per incident call to ATI to TALK to
    someone and had to replace my hard drive yesterday. Now , everything is
    fresh and I still can not capture analog with wmm nor nero. But I did find
    out ind searching other forums that the proble must be wMM because there were
    dozens of " whiners out there getting the same results as my self. I must
    say , I got more of a response when I made my comment about " generous
    Bill".. I had four come backs at once and three post down was my problem and
    you were the only one to even try to address it.. Thanks every so much, but
    I'm just gonna hid MM and un install nero and play like I don't have the
    problem. I'm just 62 and too tired...thanks

    From what are you trying to copy?

    Is this analog or digital video?

    What happens when you use the ATI MultiMedia Center?

    Did you read the ATI manual that came with the graphics card?
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "JaneyFaye" <JaneyFaye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can Some one help me to solve this problem" I try Movie Mker and Nero to
    > capture. They both will respond with " the capture device is being used by
    > another source, I must close it down" Well to my knowledge, I have
    > nothing
    > else open and don't know where to begin. I have an ATI All in Wonder 128.

    Windows Movie Maker is really designed for digital video not analog video.
    --

    > Thanks Cari, But I have searched every forum, every microsoft support, I
    > have
    > un installed and re installed,paid for a per incident call to ATI to TALK
    > someone and had to replace my hard drive yesterday. Now , everything is
    > fresh and I still can not capture analog with wmm nor nero. But I did find
    > out ind searching other forums that the proble must be wMM because there
    > were
    > dozens of " whiners out there getting the same results as my self. I must
    > say , I got more of a response when I made my comment about " generous
    > Bill".. I had four come backs at once and three post down was my problem
    > and
    > you were the only one to even try to address it.. Thanks every so much,
    > but
    > I'm just gonna hid MM and un install nero and play like I don't have the
    > problem. I'm just 62 and too tired...thanks
    >

    > From what are you trying to copy?
    >
    > Is this analog or digital video?
    >
    > What happens when you use the ATI MultiMedia Center?
    >
    > Did you read the ATI manual that came with the graphics card?
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >
    > In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >
    > "JaneyFaye" <JaneyFaye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Can Some one help me to solve this problem" I try Movie Mker and Nero to
    >> capture. They both will respond with " the capture device is being used
    >> by
    >> another source, I must close it down" Well to my knowledge, I have
    >> nothing
    >> else open and don't know where to begin. I have an ATI All in Wonder 128.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    I have the same error message when I tired to capture analog video with my
    eVGA NVTV card. Whenever I try to use WM, the error message comes up. When
    I used Roxio, there were no response at all.

    I am using XP Media Center with SP2 and Medai Center is working perfectly
    fine. There is one interesting thing: The media center can actually detect
    the video and sound from my VCR. I was using the VCR as a the cable box on
    the set up. However, I couldn't finish the set up to use the VCR as I the
    remote set up could not be done. Otherwise I could have record that VCR as
    "Live TV".

    Is that error "video source was in use" has something to do with the Media
    Center? I have the latest driver from eVGA. Just don't know what else to
    do. Thanks for all your help!

    Norman

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Windows Movie Maker is really designed for digital video not analog video.
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >
    > In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >
    > "JaneyFaye" <JaneyFaye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks Cari, But I have searched every forum, every microsoft support, I
    > > have
    > > un installed and re installed,paid for a per incident call to ATI to TALK
    > > someone and had to replace my hard drive yesterday. Now , everything is
    > > fresh and I still can not capture analog with wmm nor nero. But I did find
    > > out ind searching other forums that the proble must be wMM because there
    > > were
    > > dozens of " whiners out there getting the same results as my self. I must
    > > say , I got more of a response when I made my comment about " generous
    > > Bill".. I had four come backs at once and three post down was my problem
    > > and
    > > you were the only one to even try to address it.. Thanks every so much,
    > > but
    > > I'm just gonna hid MM and un install nero and play like I don't have the
    > > problem. I'm just 62 and too tired...thanks
    > >

    > > From what are you trying to copy?
    > >
    > > Is this analog or digital video?
    > >
    > > What happens when you use the ATI MultiMedia Center?
    > >
    > > Did you read the ATI manual that came with the graphics card?
    > > --
    > > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > > Printing & Imaging
    > >
    > > In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    > >
    > > "JaneyFaye" <JaneyFaye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> Can Some one help me to solve this problem" I try Movie Mker and Nero to
    > >> capture. They both will respond with " the capture device is being used
    > >> by
    > >> another source, I must close it down" Well to my knowledge, I have
    > >> nothing
    > >> else open and don't know where to begin. I have an ATI All in Wonder 128.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    You need to use the capture app that came with the mce rather than MM or
    roxio.

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    "Norman" <Norman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have the same error message when I tired to capture analog video with my
    > eVGA NVTV card. Whenever I try to use WM, the error message comes up.
    When
    > I used Roxio, there were no response at all.
    >
    > I am using XP Media Center with SP2 and Medai Center is working perfectly
    > fine. There is one interesting thing: The media center can actually
    detect
    > the video and sound from my VCR. I was using the VCR as a the cable box
    on
    > the set up. However, I couldn't finish the set up to use the VCR as I the
    > remote set up could not be done. Otherwise I could have record that VCR
    as
    > "Live TV".
    >
    > Is that error "video source was in use" has something to do with the Media
    > Center? I have the latest driver from eVGA. Just don't know what else to
    > do. Thanks for all your help!
    >
    > Norman
    >

    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    > > Windows Movie Maker is really designed for digital video not analog
    video.
    > > --
    > > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > > Printing & Imaging
    > >
    > > In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    > >
    > > "JaneyFaye" <JaneyFaye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Thanks Cari, But I have searched every forum, every microsoft support,
    > > > have
    > > > un installed and re installed,paid for a per incident call to ATI to
    TALK
    > > > someone and had to replace my hard drive yesterday. Now , everything
    is
    > > > fresh and I still can not capture analog with wmm nor nero. But I did
    find
    > > > out ind searching other forums that the proble must be wMM because
    there
    > > > were
    > > > dozens of " whiners out there getting the same results as my self. I
    must
    > > > say , I got more of a response when I made my comment about " generous
    > > > Bill".. I had four come backs at once and three post down was my
    problem
    > > > and
    > > > you were the only one to even try to address it.. Thanks every so
    much,
    > > > but
    > > > I'm just gonna hid MM and un install nero and play like I don't have
    the
    > > > problem. I'm just 62 and too tired...thanks
    > > >

    > > > From what are you trying to copy?
    > > >
    > > > Is this analog or digital video?
    > > >
    > > > What happens when you use the ATI MultiMedia Center?
    > > >
    > > > Did you read the ATI manual that came with the graphics card?
    > > > --
    > > > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > > > Printing & Imaging
    > > >
    > > > In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    > > >
    > > > "JaneyFaye" <JaneyFaye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Thanks Graham! Can you show me how to locate the app in MCE? I don't know
    that you can do that in Media Center. Thanks for your help!

    "Graham Hughes" wrote:

    > You need to use the capture app that came with the mce rather than MM or
    > roxio.
    >
    > --
    > Graham Hughes
    > MVP Digital Media
    > Laird of Glencairn
    > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > www.simplydv.com
    >

    > "Norman" <Norman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have the same error message when I tired to capture analog video with my
    > > eVGA NVTV card. Whenever I try to use WM, the error message comes up.
    > When
    > > I used Roxio, there were no response at all.
    > >
    > > I am using XP Media Center with SP2 and Medai Center is working perfectly
    > > fine. There is one interesting thing: The media center can actually
    > detect
    > > the video and sound from my VCR. I was using the VCR as a the cable box
    > on
    > > the set up. However, I couldn't finish the set up to use the VCR as I the
    > > remote set up could not be done. Otherwise I could have record that VCR
    > as
    > > "Live TV".
    > >
    > > Is that error "video source was in use" has something to do with the Media
    > > Center? I have the latest driver from eVGA. Just don't know what else to
    > > do. Thanks for all your help!
    > >
    > > Norman
    > >

    > > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Windows Movie Maker is really designed for digital video not analog
    > video.
    > > > --
    > > > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > > > Printing & Imaging
    > > >
    > > > In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    > > >
    > > > "JaneyFaye" <JaneyFaye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > TALK
    > is
    > find
    > there
    > must
    > problem
    > much,
    > the

    > used
    > 128.

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    I've not used an mce, but believe that it comes with an app, probably
    related to the graphics card installed which captures the files. I'd suggest
    posing your question into the windows.mediacentre newsgroup, where you'll
    get much better advice from people who use this type of pc. ;)

    Graham

    --

    > Thanks Graham! Can you show me how to locate the app in MCE? I don't
    know
    > that you can do that in Media Center. Thanks for your help!
    >

    > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
    >
    > > You need to use the capture app that came with the mce rather than MM or
    > > roxio.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Graham Hughes
    > > MVP Digital Media
    > > Laird of Glencairn
    > > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > > www.simplydv.com
    > >

    > > "Norman" <Norman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have the same error message when I tired to capture analog video
    with my
    > > > eVGA NVTV card. Whenever I try to use WM, the error message comes up.
    > > When
    > > > I used Roxio, there were no response at all.
    > > >
    > > > I am using XP Media Center with SP2 and Medai Center is working
    perfectly
    > > > fine. There is one interesting thing: The media center can actually
    > > detect
    > > > the video and sound from my VCR. I was using the VCR as a the cable
    box
    > > on
    > > > the set up. However, I couldn't finish the set up to use the VCR as I
    the
    > > > remote set up could not be done. Otherwise I could have record that
    VCR
    > > as
    > > > "Live TV".
    > > >
    > > > Is that error "video source was in use" has something to do with the
    Media
    > > > Center? I have the latest driver from eVGA. Just don't know what
    else to
    > > > do. Thanks for all your help!
    > > >
    > > > Norman

    > > video.

    > > TALK
    > > is
    > > find
    > > there
    > > must
    > > problem
    > > much,
    > > the

    Nero
    > > used
    Wonder
    > > 128.

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    "JaneyFaye" wrote:

    > Can Some one help me to solve this problem" I try Movie Mker and Nero to
    > capture. They both will respond with " the capture device is being used by
    > another source, I must close it down" Well to my knowledge, I have nothing
    > else open and don't know where to begin. I have an ATI All in Wonder 128.
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    "JaneyFaye" wrote:

    > Can Some one help me to solve this problem" I try Movie Mker and Nero to
    > capture. They both will respond with " the capture device is being used by
    > another source, I must close it down" Well to my knowledge, I have nothing
    > else open and don't know where to begin. I have an ATI All in Wonder 128.

    Uninstall the drivers and use the ones that come on the XP disc ( you will
    loose open GL support )
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Use the ATI MultiMedia Center software that comes with the card.
    --
    Cari
    (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

    "moondoor" <moondoor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > "JaneyFaye" wrote:
    >
    >> Can Some one help me to solve this problem" I try Movie Mker and Nero to
    >> capture. They both will respond with " the capture device is being used
    >> by
    >> another source, I must close it down" Well to my knowledge, I have
    >> nothing
    >> else open and don't know where to begin. I have an ATI All in Wonder 128.

Video Microsoft Devices Windows XP