audio

music files cannot be downloaded to movie projects. These
music file are bought and legal so why licesencing
problems.
1 answer Last reply
More about audio

    The songs are not are not really "bought" - in others words when you buy a
    CD, or purchase a downloaded file, you do not own the music on the CD or in
    the file, only the "creator"of that music (i.e. the songwriter or composer)
    actually owns the music. When you buy their product, you only purchase the
    right to use a copy of the music, on the CD or in the file, for your own
    listening pleasure, other rights are restricted, such as the right to copy
    and re-sell or re-distribute those additional copies. This restriction
    includes re-distribution in all forms, including film & video soundtracks.
    This is why it is called copyright (copy + right)

    It is sort of like renting someone your car (or house, or whatever) - they
    do not own it, but they pay for the use of , but that does not give them the
    right to do anything they like with it, like sell or give it away, modify it
    in some way (such as re-painting it), or doing other things with it you
    would not like (like enter it in a demolition derby, rent or lend to another
    person who you do not know or trust, or take it off-road if it's not an SUV,
    for instance) - when renting, your payments are recurring over time, of
    course, while with music you pay the "rental fee" once & that's it.

    Whether you agree with this or not, this is how copyright law works. There
    are many who would like to see this system chnaged to be less restrictive,
    but regardless, this is is how it is now, and not likely to change soon

    Radio stations, television stations, film producers, etc., even nightclubs
    and bars, all have to pay special additional royalties for their use of the
    music you hear in their productions or facilities. When you see a band in a
    restaraunt, club, or bar that performs their own "cover" version of popular
    tunes, that establishment (the restaraunt, club, or bar) has already paid an
    annual license fee that covers the general cost of re-using all the music
    that is going to be performed there - including recorded music from a DJ or
    background music system. Then a performing rights society, that collects
    this money, distributes it to the respective writers and composers based on
    popularity statistics, gathered from samples of radio airplay, record store
    sales, etc. (i.e. they cannot monitor every song by every band in every
    club, or on every radio station, but the odds are that the more popular
    songs will get performed more often, so those writers get a bigger share of
    the money)

    If you wish to use music in your videos there are a number of options:

    1. Find music that has been released under a different licensing system
    (such as Creative Commons) which allows for the copying and re-use. These
    other systems are somewhat similar to the open source licensing systems that
    are found on the computer software world. Even under these systems, you
    still do not "own" the music, but the owner has decided that they would like
    to grant you broader rights than the conventional system. There are several
    different systems, and the extent to which they extend rights will vary. You
    will needed to research the various license types and to what extent they
    grant rights

    2. Use only public domain music. This is usually older music as copyright
    usually extends until, I believe, 99 years after the composer's death. Most
    classical compositions are public domain, however you still have to be
    careful, although the composition may be public domain, it's possible a
    sound recording of a particular perfomance of one of these tunes can have
    its own copyright restrictions.

    3. Write to the publisher of the music piece you wish to use and get
    permission to re-use the music in your video. They may or may not charge a
    fee for its use - depending on the song, the type of video, where and how
    the video is going to be distributed, the business attitudes of the
    copyright owner and more. If you are doing a non-commercial production you
    may be pleasantly surprised. My brother-in-law, who is a professional
    photographer and videographer, recently had a song he wanted to use on a DVD
    he was putting together as his "demo reel". He wrote to the song publisher
    for permission and they happily gave it, at no charge, because it was a
    non-commercial release, as long as he provided full credit to the perfomer,
    composer and publishers on the DVD (a small price to pay).

    4. Purchase a royalty free production music library. This is music that has
    been written, recorded, and released specifically for re-use in film or
    video productions and the like. It is usually highly stylized and
    categorized by recognizable style names. Trouble is the good stuff can be
    pretty expensive. If you are a professional video production house you can
    justify the cost, but if you are an amateur or semi-pro it may be beyond
    your means. The higher cost is because, similar to popular music, you still
    do not own it, but the rights you are granted when you purchase the
    recordings include the re-use and re-distribution that will occur with your
    video or film production, so you are paying for that up-front at purchase
    time, rather than at the time you plan to use it, and you pay for the rights
    to all the music in the collection, whether you use it or not, rather than
    on a song-by-song or use-by-use basis.

    5. create your own - then no one can ever tell you what you can or can't do
    with it, because you actually do own it. This may be rather difficult if you
    are not a musician, however there is software around that can make music
    creation easier for non- musician types. Check out Band-in-a-Box from PG
    Music - relatively inexpensive. If you are a musician, you can enter the
    chords and styles for the song, have it generate a number of instruments for
    you as accompaniement, and then you play the melody and/or your own solos
    along with it. If you are not a musician, then you can select a style, and
    ask it to generate it's own harmonies, solos and melody based on that style.
    The files generated are created using MIDI data, so you need a good synth in
    your sound card to play them back. If your sound card is a cheap one and the
    synth chip is not very good then the results will sound pretty cheesy, but
    if you've got a better quality card with a good synth chip, hosting
    realistic (usually wavetable) sounds, it can sound OK. The sound card's
    output can then be re-recorded as WAV or MP3 files that you can import into
    your video. Or if you have a good software synth, the program itself can
    redner the output straight to digital as WAV or MP3. The music is computer
    generated though and often it will not have the same easy natural flow that
    a real musician has. I have frequently used this technique, sometime just
    sitting down and using the software to create 3 or 4 various songs at one
    session and then saving them into my own music production library than I can
    sort through, and choose from, later on when assembling my soundtracks.
    Please note that even if you create your own performance of someone else's
    song, by this or any other means, that song is still owned by the
    writer/composer, however under a system called compulsory license, you do
    not have to get permission to re-use the song. You do, however, still have
    to pay royalties if you wish to use the song legally, and for video and film
    productions there is no fixed royalty rate. You would have to negotiate with
    the copyright holder and/or publisher first.

    "randy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > music files cannot be downloaded to movie projects. These
    > music file are bought and legal so why licesencing
    > problems.

Video Music Audio Microsoft Windows XP