I recently signed up at a download site and have downloaded several movies
but I haven't been able to play them back on any of my installed players.
I have Windows media 9,Real Player, Quicktime. and DivX but none of these
will play the movies. they all state that there are missing codecs.
Can you tell me what I need to do in order to play these movies.
--
Bear

Unless you tell us what the file extensions are we have no idea exactly what
you might need. The other usual codecs are XVid.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Beardean" <russ_merentha@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I recently signed up at a download site and have downloaded several movies
> but I haven't been able to play them back on any of my installed players.
> I have Windows media 9,Real Player, Quicktime. and DivX but none of these
> will play the movies. they all state that there are missing codecs.
> Can you tell me what I need to do in order to play these movies.
> --
> Bear

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 22:48:22 -0800, "Cari \(MS-MVP\)"
<Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote:

>Unless you tell us what the file extensions are we have no idea exactly what
>you might need. The other usual codecs are XVid.
Is it possible that this user is using XP's default settings which is
to "hide extensions for known file types" ?

A confusing setting which always seemed like a dumb idea to me.
It sure keeps newbies in the dark.

Dave

I downloaded the mpeg4 codec and was able to play one of the movies but there
are still two that I can't play. One is file extension Divx(www.uri
movies.tk).avi
the other is video clip avi. One states that it encountered an unknown error
and the other states missing codec.
thanks. Bear

"Beardean" wrote:

> I recently signed up at a download site and have downloaded several movies
> but I haven't been able to play them back on any of my installed players.
> I have Windows media 9,Real Player, Quicktime. and DivX but none of these
> will play the movies. they all state that there are missing codecs.
> Can you tell me what I need to do in order to play these movies.
> --
> Bear

Download and install G-Spot....
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

It will tell you exactly which codecs you need.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Beardean" <Beardean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I downloaded the mpeg4 codec and was able to play one of the movies but
>there
> are still two that I can't play. One is file extension Divx(www.uri
> movies.tk).avi
> the other is video clip avi. One states that it encountered an unknown
> error
> and the other states missing codec.
> thanks. Bear
>
> "Beardean" wrote:
>
>> I recently signed up at a download site and have downloaded several
>> movies
>> but I haven't been able to play them back on any of my installed players.
>> I have Windows media 9,Real Player, Quicktime. and DivX but none of these
>> will play the movies. they all state that there are missing codecs.
>> Can you tell me what I need to do in order to play these movies.
>> --
>> Bear

I am having the same problem, as you mesioned to download the G-Spot..... I
did but still I'm not able to play the Xvid file in Window Media Player.