motion artefact with tmpgenc

I am transferring vhs tapes to DVD using dub to DV tape, editing in
Premiere 6.5, frame serving with AVI synth, mpeg encoding with
tmpgenc, and authoring with DVDit Lite. Generally things have gone
well, but am now having a proplem. When objects with straight lines
move vertically, there is a criss-cross type artefact on the vertical
edges. I have narrowed it down to mpeg encoding or beyond. I am
using cbr 8000. I have not previously encountered this. Also, scene
changes have a flicker not seen before. Any help would be
appreciated. Thanks.
=================
Delete "abc" to reply by email.

Lazarus

change top field first to bottom field first or vice versa

<wdh@esle.net> wrote in message
> I am transferring vhs tapes to DVD using dub to DV tape, editing in
> Premiere 6.5, frame serving with AVI synth, mpeg encoding with
> tmpgenc, and authoring with DVDit Lite. Generally things have gone
> well, but am now having a proplem. When objects with straight lines
> move vertically, there is a criss-cross type artefact on the vertical
> edges. I have narrowed it down to mpeg encoding or beyond. I am
> using cbr 8000. I have not previously encountered this. Also, scene
> changes have a flicker not seen before. Any help would be
> appreciated. Thanks.
> =================
> Delete "abc" to reply by email.

<wdh@esle.net> wrote in message
> I am transferring vhs tapes to DVD using dub to DV tape, editing in
> Premiere 6.5, frame serving with AVI synth, mpeg encoding with
> tmpgenc, and authoring with DVDit Lite. Generally things have gone
> well, but am now having a proplem. When objects with straight lines
> move vertically, there is a criss-cross type artefact on the vertical
> edges. I have narrowed it down to mpeg encoding or beyond. I am
> using cbr 8000. I have not previously encountered this. Also, scene
> changes have a flicker not seen before. Any help would be
> appreciated. Thanks.

There are many, many variables in tmpgenc that can affect video output and
cause artifacts. At 8K CBR, I normally wouldn't expect problems, though the
level you set for motion search is critical. Take a look at this website,
which gives excellent tips on how tmpgenc should be configured for maximum
quality results.

> =================
> Delete "abc" to reply by email.

I don't believe it's reversed fields--I have not changed that. What
is the web site? Thanks

On Mon, 10 May 2004 00:50:26 GMT, "PTRAVEL" <ptravel@ruyitang.com>
wrote:

><wdh@esle.net> wrote in message
>> I am transferring vhs tapes to DVD using dub to DV tape, editing in
>> Premiere 6.5, frame serving with AVI synth, mpeg encoding with
>> tmpgenc, and authoring with DVDit Lite. Generally things have gone
>> well, but am now having a proplem. When objects with straight lines
>> move vertically, there is a criss-cross type artefact on the vertical
>> edges. I have narrowed it down to mpeg encoding or beyond. I am
>> using cbr 8000. I have not previously encountered this. Also, scene
>> changes have a flicker not seen before. Any help would be
>> appreciated. Thanks.
>
>There are many, many variables in tmpgenc that can affect video output and
>cause artifacts. At 8K CBR, I normally wouldn't expect problems, though the
>level you set for motion search is critical. Take a look at this website,
>which gives excellent tips on how tmpgenc should be configured for maximum
>quality results.
>

>> =================
>> Delete "abc" to reply by email.

=================
Delete "abc" to reply by email.

In article <nllt90ttb99djbuqg3vej5l2dvhofcdjdm@4ax.com>,
wdh@esle.net says...
> I don't believe it's reversed fields--I have not changed that. What
> is the web site? Thanks

Since you're using DV... what setting do you have for
field order in TMPGEnc? Possibly, TMPGEnc has guessed
wrong.

For analog captures... field-order is (IIRC) "A" first.
But for DV, it needs to be set to "B" first.

"Lazarus" <whicanibe@now.com> wrote in message
> change top field first to bottom field first or vice versa

Reversed fields would cause jitter, but not the type of artifacting that the
OP described.

> I don't believe it's reversed fields--I have not changed that. What
> is the web site? Thanks

Ooops. Sorry, I forget to paste it in. Here it is:

http://dvd-hq.info/Compression.html

On Mon, 10 May 2004 00:01:30 -0400, Toshi1873 <toshi1873@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>For analog captures... field-order is (IIRC) "A" first.
>But for DV, it needs to be set to "B" first.

Not always. By using Avisynth's ViewFields plugin, you can analyze the
clip, and find the truth,

In article <tbiu90hsj9q23aftlahq8qujfhujklpfab@4ax.com>,
bariloche@bariloche.com says...
> On Mon, 10 May 2004 00:01:30 -0400, Toshi1873 <toshi1873@nowhere.com>
> wrote:
>
> >For analog captures... field-order is (IIRC) "A" first.
> >But for DV, it needs to be set to "B" first.
>
> Not always. By using Avisynth's ViewFields plugin, you can analyze the
> clip, and find the truth,

Good pointer... (I left out the "usually")

Thanks to the people who offered suggestions. I tracked down the
problem to the encoder being set to non-interlace. Don't know how
that one slipped by. Thanks again.
Delete "abc" to reply by email.