Which Camera

Hey all,

I am an avid still photographer and will be going overseas for 7 weeks
very very soon. My Fiancee now wishes to purchase a CamCorder before we
go, duty free.

What should I be looking for in a CamCorder.

How do they record...tapes only ?

What Programs are ok to use once I get back to AUS so I can purchase in
Singapore on way back :)

Anything else that may be of interest.

Luv ya work !
gary.steph@optusnet.com.au

"Dunco" <gary.steph@nospam.optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Hey all,
>
> I am an avid still photographer and will be going overseas for 7 weeks
> very very soon. My Fiancee now wishes to purchase a CamCorder before we
> go, duty free.
>
> What should I be looking for in a CamCorder.
>
> How do they record...tapes only ?

The good ones only use tapes. The toy pieces of junk can record direct to
DVD-R.

> What Programs are ok to use once I get back to AUS so I can purchase in
> Singapore on way back :)

That's far too broad a question. What do you want to do? Capture? Edit?
Burn DVDs? What platform do you use, Mac or PC?

> Anything else that may be of interest.
>
> Luv ya work !
> gary.steph@optusnet.com.au

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Dunco <gary.steph@nospam.optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>I am an avid still photographer and will be going overseas for 7 weeks
>very very soon. My Fiancee now wishes to purchase a CamCorder before we
>go, duty free.
>
>What should I be looking for in a CamCorder.
>
>How do they record...tapes only ?
>
>What Programs are ok to use once I get back to AUS so I can purchase in
>Singapore on way back :)
>
>Anything else that may be of interest.
>
>Luv ya work !
>gary.steph@optusnet.com.au

If you live in Australia then you need to work in the PAL format.
A DV type camcorder is the best buy if your going to do video editing.
You'll also need a firewire card on your computer.
I perter Sony Camcorders as they have plenty of options and are of
good quality.
The DV camcorders are small and record on a very small DV tape.
You can playback the tape by connecting the camera to a television.
The camera is connected to the computer using a firewire card.

Hope this helps

Regards Brian

Era

Dunco wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I am an avid still photographer and will be going overseas for 7 weeks
> very very soon. My Fiancee now wishes to purchase a CamCorder before we
> go, duty free.

I would purchase the camera overseas as the savngs is woth the "gamble"
re: warranty etc...