Wireless Linksys Router BEFW11S4 wont surf IE

Luis

I'm using a Wireless-B Broadband Linksys Router BEFW11S4 and a Wireless-B
USB NIC model Wusb11

I configured the router and USB card - I have a very strong signal to the
router but I cant surf the internet - could this router be defective? My
SBC DSL modem is a speedstream 5100. I took the router to my friends home
to connect it and the same happens and he has Comcast for ISP. This router
originally came from a Comcast cust that was working correctly until a month
ago it was doing the same - strong signal but cant surf the internet. The
only thing I cant seem to do is change the channel on the wireless USB NIC
within windows XP. Can someone help me please?

Luis wrote:
> I'm using a Wireless-B Broadband Linksys Router BEFW11S4 and a
> Wireless-B USB NIC model Wusb11
>
> I configured the router and USB card - I have a very strong signal to
> the router but I cant surf the internet - could this router be
> defective? My SBC DSL modem is a speedstream 5100. I took the
> router to my friends home to connect it and the same happens and he
> has Comcast for ISP. This router originally came from a Comcast cust
> that was working correctly until a month ago it was doing the same -
> strong signal but cant surf the internet. The only thing I cant seem
> to do is change the channel on the wireless USB NIC within windows
> XP. Can someone help me please?

The Comcast test is inconclusive unless the cable modem was powered down
for a few minutes before connecting the router. Try that with your DSL
modem. Otherwise, consult the SBC DSL group and FAQ at
http://www.broadbandreports.com . There might be DSL-specific settings
you need for the router, or you might need to clone the former host pc's
MAC address.

It's not likely that changing your radio channel will solve the problem, or
that it is even your problem (unless you can think of any reason there might
be environmental interferance in the vicinity such as cordless phones). Do
you know if your internet connection works? Plug in the wire from your DSL
modem directly into your computer and see. If that works then I think the
first step to take would be to test whether the Linksys router works at all,
even on a wired interface. First reset the Linksys router following the
instructions it came with. Plug the cable coming out of the DSL modem into
the WAN port of your Linksys router. Then plug your computer in one of the
LAN ports of the Linksys router with a wire. Now use IE to navigate to the
router's administration page, after a reset the default IP address of the
Linksys router should be 192.168.1.1. If that doesn't work, and/or you
don't even get an IP address from the router, then I'd say the router is
busted. If everything works so far, then continue: Setup wireless on the
Linksys now. Try using a simple configuration for now. Create an SSID, set
it to broadcast the SSID, and choose Open authentication with no encryption
whatsoever. Then try connecting to it with your wireless interface. If you
receive an IP address in the 192.168.1.x range, then it sounds like the
wireless portion of the router is working too. What's left is see if you
can access the internet, you'll need to follow any instructions your ISP
provided you with regards to configuration. Let me know how that goes and
we can go from there.