NTFS file video to fat32

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 10, 2004 11:50:42 PM

just got sent a DVD which has a DV AVI file on it in NTFS format, but i need
to extract to my hard drive in Fat32, are there any programs out there that
will allow me to do this conversion on video files?

More about : ntfs file video fat32

Anonymous
May 10, 2004 11:50:43 PM

"James" <nothing@nothing.com> wrote:

>just got sent a DVD which has a DV AVI file on it in NTFS format, but i need
>to extract to my hard drive in Fat32, are there any programs out there that
>will allow me to do this conversion on video files?

If you are able to read the NTFS disc, then just copy it to the FAT32
hard drive using Windows Explorer or whatever; it should just be a
simple file transfer. But I wasn't aware that you could even use NTFS
on a DVD.
Anonymous
May 10, 2004 11:50:43 PM

James wrote:

> just got sent a DVD which has a DV AVI file on it in NTFS format, but i need
> to extract to my hard drive in Fat32, are there any programs out there that
> will allow me to do this conversion on video files?

An AVI file (or any file) cannot be in "NTFS format"
The filesystem that contains the file can. But even then, a DVD cannot
use the NTFS filesystem. It's generally going to be UDF or ISO.

Care to rephrase your question?

-WD

May 10, 2004 11:50:44 PM

DeepOne@ix.netcom.com wrote:

>"James" <nothing@nothing.com> wrote:
>
>>just got sent a DVD which has a DV AVI file on it in NTFS format, but i need
>>to extract to my hard drive in Fat32, are there any programs out there that
>>will allow me to do this conversion on video files?
>
>If you are able to read the NTFS disc, then just copy it to the FAT32
>hard drive using Windows Explorer or whatever; it should just be a
>simple file transfer. But I wasn't aware that you could even use NTFS
>on a DVD.

You can't. The original poster is waay confused. He obviously has a
problem, he just hasn't stated what it is, just what he thinks a
possible solution might be.
May 11, 2004 1:45:31 AM

when trying to drag and drop or copy to a fat32 drive it says not enough
disk space, as its bigger than 4gig.....

<BenDover@invalid.org> wrote in message
> DeepOne@ix.netcom.com wrote:
>
> >"James" <nothing@nothing.com> wrote:
> >
> >>just got sent a DVD which has a DV AVI file on it in NTFS format, but i
need
> >>to extract to my hard drive in Fat32, are there any programs out there
that
> >>will allow me to do this conversion on video files?
> >
> >If you are able to read the NTFS disc, then just copy it to the FAT32
> >hard drive using Windows Explorer or whatever; it should just be a
> >simple file transfer. But I wasn't aware that you could even use NTFS
> >on a DVD.
>
> You can't. The original poster is waay confused. He obviously has a
> problem, he just hasn't stated what it is, just what he thinks a
> possible solution might be.
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 1:45:32 AM

In article <409f6b5c$1@duster.adelaide.on.net>,
nothing@nothing.com says...
> when trying to drag and drop or copy to a fat32 drive it says not enough
> disk space, as its bigger than 4gig.....

You're up against a limitation of the operating system.
Your choices are:

1) Upgrade to WinXP or Win2000 and start using NTFS on
your drives instead of FAT32

2) Work with the file on a file server that supports
files larger then 2GB (e.g. a NAS device, a samba
server, a netware server, a windows server)
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 2:37:43 AM

I think FAT32 has a 4GB file size limit. So if you have a DV file taking up a
whole DVD-R disk, it won't copy to a FAT32 partition. What you should be able to
do is open it with your editing program, probably even the simple Movie Maker
included with Windows XP, and cut the file into smaller pieces. Just remember to
set the output of Windows Movie Maker to full DV quality.

<BenDover@invalid.org> wrote in message
> DeepOne@ix.netcom.com wrote:
>
> >"James" <nothing@nothing.com> wrote:
> >
> >>just got sent a DVD which has a DV AVI file on it in NTFS format, but i need
> >>to extract to my hard drive in Fat32, are there any programs out there that
> >>will allow me to do this conversion on video files?
> >
> >If you are able to read the NTFS disc, then just copy it to the FAT32
> >hard drive using Windows Explorer or whatever; it should just be a
> >simple file transfer. But I wasn't aware that you could even use NTFS
> >on a DVD.
>
> You can't. The original poster is waay confused. He obviously has a
> problem, he just hasn't stated what it is, just what he thinks a
> possible solution might be.
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 3:07:49 AM

In article <MPG.1b0958579fa5dbdc9898ca@news-
50.giganews.com>, toshi1873@nowhere.com says...
> 2) Work with the file on a file server that supports
> files larger then 2GB (e.g. a NAS device, a samba
> server, a netware server, a windows server)

(correction, 4GB is the break-point for FAT32, it's the
old style AVI container limit of 2GB that gets me
confused on that issue)
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 11:52:37 AM

Basicly you have to cut it into smaller pieces.

"James" <nothing@nothing.com> wrote in message
: just got sent a DVD which has a DV AVI file on it in NTFS format, but i
need
: to extract to my hard drive in Fat32, are there any programs out there
that
: will allow me to do this conversion on video files?
:
:
!