DVDShrink shows multiple angles for Toy Story & Lion King

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.authoring,rec.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

I was playing with DVDShrink this past weekend and I saw something
weird on two of my retail Disney DVDs. When I analyzed Disney's Toy
Story I and Lion King I found multiple angles of the main title. Each
DVD has multiple copies of the movies with the second copy listed as
"(Angle 2)". Actually the Lion King DVD has 4 copies of the movie on
it, but that is because the disc has the original theater version and
a special edition. Two angles for the theater version and two angles
for the special edition.

I played back some sections of each version of the main titles in DVD
Shrink and I cannot see any differences between the main title and
main title "Angle 2". The running time is the same for each version
and I think the file size was even identical. I am not positive about
the file size because I am not looking at it right now. I‘ve never
seen any multi-angle icons when watching these movies in my set-top
player and there is no multi angle feature listed on the back of the
DVD boxes. I had no idea that these multiple angle versions even
existed on these DVDs.

Has anyone seen this before? How would I access the multiple angles
during the main features from my set-top DVD player? Some additional
info, the Toy Story DVD does NOT have a lot of bonus material on it,
no "Making of" movies, etc.. I cannot figure out why these discs have
multiple angles of the main title on them or how to access it.

Computer Prog wrote:

> I was playing with DVDShrink this past weekend and I saw something
> weird on two of my retail Disney DVDs. When I analyzed Disney's Toy
> Story I and Lion King I found multiple angles of the main title. Each
> DVD has multiple copies of the movies with the second copy listed as
> "(Angle 2)". Actually the Lion King DVD has 4 copies of the movie on
> it, but that is because the disc has the original theater version and
> a special edition. Two angles for the theater version and two angles
> for the special edition.
<snip>

I believe your DVD player has to support the viewing of multiple angles.
The remote for my DVD player has a button for changing angles while viewing.

Computer Prog wrote:
> I was playing with DVDShrink this past weekend and I saw
> something weird on two of my retail Disney DVDs. When I
> analyzed Disney's Toy Story I and Lion King I found multiple
> angles of the main title. Each DVD has multiple copies of
> the movies with the second copy listed as "(Angle 2)".
> Actually the Lion King DVD has 4 copies of the movie on it,
> but that is because the disc has the original theater version
> and a special edition. Two angles for the theater version
> and two angles for the special edition.
>
> I played back some sections of each version of the main
> titles in DVD Shrink and I cannot see any differences between
> the main title and main title "Angle 2". The running time is
> the same for each version and I think the file size was even
> identical. I am not positive about the file size because I
> am not looking at it right now. I've never seen any
> multi-angle icons when watching these movies in my set-top
> player and there is no multi angle feature listed on the back
> of the DVD boxes. I had no idea that these multiple angle
> versions even existed on these DVDs.
>
> Has anyone seen this before? How would I access the multiple
> angles during the main features from my set-top DVD player?
> Some additional info, the Toy Story DVD does NOT have a lot
> of bonus material on it, no "Making of" movies, etc.. I
> cannot figure out why these discs have multiple angles of the
> main title on them or how to access it.

I've several DVDs with Shrink detected multi-angle main titles.
Shrink does not screw this up until you ask it to reauthor, at
which time it sees each angle as a full version - often
suggesting that a DVD contains more than 11 gig on one side! I
suspect it's an anomaly in the Shrink code (polite word for
BUG). And it goes to extreme measures to shrink the streams -
which is really only a second or more audio track for one video
track. Typically multi-angle is more than one video track for
the same audio, so I don't know (or care, frankly) if Shrink is
screwing up or if DVD authors are setting one bit, instead of
another, that accomplishes the same thing?

An interesting program, TitleSetBlanker, modifies the IFOs and
title sets in such a way that Shrink sees its result as a DVD
and will then work with it properly (because you won't need to
reauthor). Of course, to use TSB the data must be on the HD.

BJ

On Mon, 10 May 2004 20:08:18 -0700, "Billy Joe" <see.sig@invalid.org> wrote:

>Computer Prog wrote:
>> I was playing with DVDShrink this past weekend and I saw
>> something weird on two of my retail Disney DVDs. When I
>> analyzed Disney's Toy Story I and Lion King I found multiple
>> angles of the main title. Each DVD has multiple copies of
>> the movies with the second copy listed as "(Angle 2)".
>> Actually the Lion King DVD has 4 copies of the movie on it,
>> but that is because the disc has the original theater version
>> and a special edition. Two angles for the theater version
>> and two angles for the special edition.
>>
>> I played back some sections of each version of the main
>> titles in DVD Shrink and I cannot see any differences between
>> the main title and main title "Angle 2". The running time is
>> the same for each version and I think the file size was even
>> identical. I am not positive about the file size because I
>> am not looking at it right now. I've never seen any
>> multi-angle icons when watching these movies in my set-top
>> player and there is no multi angle feature listed on the back
>> of the DVD boxes. I had no idea that these multiple angle
>> versions even existed on these DVDs.
>>
>> Has anyone seen this before? How would I access the multiple
>> angles during the main features from my set-top DVD player?
>> Some additional info, the Toy Story DVD does NOT have a lot
>> of bonus material on it, no "Making of" movies, etc.. I
>> cannot figure out why these discs have multiple angles of the
>> main title on them or how to access it.
>
>I've several DVDs with Shrink detected multi-angle main titles.
>Shrink does not screw this up until you ask it to reauthor, at
>which time it sees each angle as a full version - often
>suggesting that a DVD contains more than 11 gig on one side! I
>suspect it's an anomaly in the Shrink code (polite word for
>BUG). And it goes to extreme measures to shrink the streams -
>which is really only a second or more audio track for one video
>track. Typically multi-angle is more than one video track for
>the same audio, so I don't know (or care, frankly) if Shrink is
>screwing up or if DVD authors are setting one bit, instead of
>another, that accomplishes the same thing?
>
>An interesting program, TitleSetBlanker, modifies the IFOs and
>title sets in such a way that Shrink sees its result as a DVD
>and will then work with it properly (because you won't need to
>reauthor). Of course, to use TSB the data must be on the HD.

Use CloneDVD.

>BJ

-Barry
========