Software for Playing DVDs

Bruce

I purchased a DVD drive that came with no software for playing DVDs.

What are my options under Windows XP?

Thanks...

WinDVD or PowerDVD... or nVidia DVD.

If you want to play them within Windows Media Player you can purchase just
the decoders...

www.gocyberlink.com
www.intervideo.com
www.nvidia.com
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Bruce" <bvanderw-news5021@mailblocks.com> wrote in message
>I purchased a DVD drive that came with no software for playing DVDs.
>
> What are my options under Windows XP?
>
> Thanks...

Lou

re: software for dvd drive
all drives are about the same.
they use same drivers (built into systems) and you can download software
from the net for free usually if you don't like what comes with your system.
lou

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> WinDVD or PowerDVD... or nVidia DVD.
>
> If you want to play them within Windows Media Player you can purchase just
> the decoders...
>
> www.gocyberlink.com
> www.intervideo.com
> www.nvidia.com
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>
> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>
> "Bruce" <bvanderw-news5021@mailblocks.com> wrote in message
> >I purchased a DVD drive that came with no software for playing DVDs.
> >
> > What are my options under Windows XP?
> >
> > Thanks...

Just so you know, the Motion Picture Expert Group charges a licensing fee
for the codec. So, usually there is a fee involved with a player. Even
nVidia charges their customers, but that is in part because of the fee.

The MPEG decode is not built into XP, but once installed correctly for
another app, is available for any player that correctly reads the
registration information in the system.