Software for Playing DVDs

I purchased a DVD drive that came with no software for playing DVDs.

What are my options under Windows XP?

Thanks...
3 answers Last reply
More about software playing dvds

    WinDVD or PowerDVD... or nVidia DVD.

    If you want to play them within Windows Media Player you can purchase just
    the decoders...

    www.gocyberlink.com
    www.intervideo.com
    www.nvidia.com
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "Bruce" <bvanderw-news5021@mailblocks.com> wrote in message
    >I purchased a DVD drive that came with no software for playing DVDs.
    >
    > What are my options under Windows XP?
    >
    > Thanks...

    re: software for dvd drive
    all drives are about the same.
    they use same drivers (built into systems) and you can download software
    from the net for free usually if you don't like what comes with your system.
    lou

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > WinDVD or PowerDVD... or nVidia DVD.
    >
    > If you want to play them within Windows Media Player you can purchase just
    > the decoders...
    >
    > www.gocyberlink.com
    > www.intervideo.com
    > www.nvidia.com
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >
    > In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >
    > "Bruce" <bvanderw-news5021@mailblocks.com> wrote in message
    > >I purchased a DVD drive that came with no software for playing DVDs.
    > >
    > > What are my options under Windows XP?
    > >
    > > Thanks...

    Just so you know, the Motion Picture Expert Group charges a licensing fee
    for the codec. So, usually there is a fee involved with a player. Even
    nVidia charges their customers, but that is in part because of the fee.

    The MPEG decode is not built into XP, but once installed correctly for
    another app, is available for any player that correctly reads the
    registration information in the system.

    "Lou" <Lou@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > re: software for dvd drive
    > all drives are about the same.
    > they use same drivers (built into systems) and you can download software
    > from the net for free usually if you don't like what comes with your
    system.
    > lou
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    > > WinDVD or PowerDVD... or nVidia DVD.
    > >
    > > If you want to play them within Windows Media Player you can purchase
    just
    > > the decoders...
    > >
    > > www.gocyberlink.com
    > > www.intervideo.com
    > > www.nvidia.com
    > > --
    > > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > > Printing & Imaging
    > >
    > > In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    > >
    > > "Bruce" <bvanderw-news5021@mailblocks.com> wrote in message
    > > >I purchased a DVD drive that came with no software for playing DVDs.
    > > >
    > > > What are my options under Windows XP?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks...

Video Software DVD Drives Microsoft Windows XP