missing sound track

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 11, 2004 12:24:23 AM

When I make copies of my 8mm camcorder videos on VHS, I add music
using a mixer. When I try to transfer this VHS to DVD-R using my
panasonic DMR-e50, only the music track is picked up. The sound track
from the 8mm seems to disappear, although I know it has been duly
recorded on the VHS...What could be happening?

I experience the same problem when I try to make another VHS copy
using another VCR. I realize that this may not be the appropriate
newsgroup for this problem. Any suggestion as to where I could obtain
information about this problem?

André

More about : missing sound track

Anonymous
May 11, 2004 10:06:51 PM

>When I make copies of my 8mm camcorder videos on VHS, I add music
>using a mixer. When I try to transfer this VHS to DVD-R using my
>panasonic DMR-e50, only the music track is picked up. The sound track
>from the 8mm seems to disappear, although I know it has been duly
>recorded on the VHS...What could be happening?
>
>I experience the same problem when I try to make another VHS copy
>using another VCR. I realize that this may not be the appropriate
>newsgroup for this problem. Any suggestion as to where I could obtain
>information about this problem?
>
>André

Without some useful information about HOW you're doing what you're doing, this
is a simple shot in the dark: You may have the music level so hight that it
simply blows the camcorder audio away (hides it). This kind of thing is easy to
do while using a cheap consumer VCR to record because you cannot control the
record level...it is all automatic...as was the camcorder's recording level.
webpa
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 11:32:52 PM

On 10 May 2004 20:24:23 -0700, achenier@volcanomail.com (A.Z) wrote:

>When I make copies of my 8mm camcorder videos on VHS, I add music
>using a mixer. When I try to transfer this VHS to DVD-R using my
>panasonic DMR-e50, only the music track is picked up. The sound track
>from the 8mm seems to disappear, although I know it has been duly
>recorded on the VHS...What could be happening?
>
>I experience the same problem when I try to make another VHS copy
>using another VCR. I realize that this may not be the appropriate
>newsgroup for this problem. Any suggestion as to where I could obtain
>information about this problem?

How are you adding the music?

If you are recording the camcorder audio and music into the VHS VCR
via a mixer, you should hear the combination on the tape when you play
it back.

If you use an audio dub feature on VHS, that records on the normal,
linear, non-HIFI audio track. So the original audio is in HIFI, the
dub is on the mono linear track (may be stereo on some VCRs).

Normal playback for a VHS VCR is HIFI only, if a HIFI audio track is
present. In order to play both, you need to set the audio output to
mix -- normal plus HIFI -- or if your VCR has separate HIFI and normal
audio out (unlikely for anything consumer, unless it is a old
machine), you can use a mixer to combine the tracks.

** Muskego WI Access Channel 14/25 <http://www.execpc.com/~jeffsj/mach7/&gt;
*Starfire Design Studio* <http://www.starfiredesign.com/&gt;
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 12:41:43 PM

> Normal playback for a VHS VCR is HIFI only, if a HIFI audio track is
> present. In order to play both, you need to set the audio output to
> mix -- normal plus HIFI -- or if your VCR has separate HIFI and normal
> audio out (unlikely for anything consumer, unless it is a old
> machine), you can use a mixer to combine the tracks.

Thank you for the information.

I do use a mixer, albeit a cheap one. The monitor (mono) plays all
the sounds when I record the first copy which would indicate proper
operation.

Its only during the recording of a second generation copy (VHS or DVD)
that the monitor does not play the full sound track during recording.
However, I just discovered that the full sound track is there in fact
when I play back the tape/dvd. (I hadn't checked that assuming that
if the monitor was not playing the full sound during recording, the
full sound was not being recorded and would not be there during
playback!!)

So it's not a big problem anymore now that I know that the total sound
track is in fact being copied even though my monitor indicates
otherwise during recording.

Thanks for your help. If you can explain why a part of the sound
track disappear in the circumstances described above, it would be
interesting to know!

André
!