Canon S1 IS add-on lenses

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Has anyone actually tried wide and tele add-on lenses on this camera? Is it
worthed to buy? I mean, they are not so cheap, so...

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Hi

Whether they are any use to you depends on whether you are going to use
them! The overall range of the S1 is pretty good so it is unlikely that you
will need a longer lens in normal use (although only you can really assess
this). As an alternative to the tele you could look at Qimage for printing
your output (produces best quality enlargements or crops I have seen) and/or
Genuine Fractals (or similar). QI is considerably cheaper than a tele lens.
On a personal basis I would much prefer the wide end of the zoom to be about
28 mm eqivalent. Panoramic software could be useful here, but I am just too
lazy!

Bear in mind that a wide angle add-on is only really designed to be used at
the full wide angle end of the zoom and the tele add-on is only really
intended for use at the maximum tele end (there is a bit of flexibility, but
not much).

I have a Tiffen 2* tele & 0.75* w-a (both 43mm) and Canon 1.5* (58 mm) - all
bought for my Canon G2.

I have Lensmate and Canon adapters for my S1 with Lensmate thread adapters
(coupling rings). I have Canon & Tiffen adapters for my G2.

The Canon gives excellent quality on the S1 even though it is designed for
the G2. I would expect the Canon 1.6* designed for the S1 to be at least as
good, if not better.

The Tiffen wide angle is quite good, but makes the barrel distortion in the
S1 worse (easy to correct in software). The Canon w-a designed for the S1
should be better.

The Tiffen tele is more of a problem. Results are good, but handling is a
nightmare. Using a Lensmate the S1 lens gently "kisses" the rear of the
telephoto as it zooms out and shows an error in the camera. It is possible,
however, to continue working since the rror clears iself immediately. Manual
focussing is still possible. Using the Canon adapter (probably a couple of
screw thread turns longer than the Lensmate) the "kiss" is avoided, but
auto-focussing is still not possible (probably losing too much light in the
tele - which could be a problem with any 2* add-on).

Lensmate had a compatibility page with examples of several different add-ons
although they were trying to use them to change the overall zoom range and
just showed the futility of this!

Peter

PS Even if you don't get the add-ons a Lensmate (since it matches the
finish of the S! it looks better than the Canon) with a Skylight or UV
filter plus lenshood can make an enormous difference to all your shots (as
long as you keep the filter clean!)
--
Peter & Elizabeth Corser
Leighton Buzzard
"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
> Has anyone actually tried wide and tele add-on lenses on this camera? Is
> it worthed to buy? I mean, they are not so cheap, so...

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Can I echo SleeperMan's request?

Do the camera review sites include these items as part of the review?
Should they in fact form part of the review process?

It would seem sensible but OTOH it would be a shame for a good bit of kit to
be let down by a peripheral attachment.

Rapidly concluding: great point SleeperMan - these peripherals should be in
reviews!

Aerticus

"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
> Has anyone actually tried wide and tele add-on lenses on this camera? Is
> it worthed to buy? I mean, they are not so cheap, so...

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Here's an example using Canon's 1.6 addon
I took these last spring
http://www.shellenbaum.com/s1.htm

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:34:10 +0100, "SleeperMan"

Aerticus wrote:
> Can I echo SleeperMan's request?
>
> Do the camera review sites include these items as part of the review?
> Should they in fact form part of the review process?
>
> It would seem sensible but OTOH it would be a shame for a good bit of
> kit to be let down by a peripheral attachment.
>
> Rapidly concluding: great point SleeperMan - these peripherals should
> be in reviews!
>
> Aerticus
>
> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>> Has anyone actually tried wide and tele add-on lenses on this
>> camera? Is it worthed to buy? I mean, they are not so cheap, so...

From i've read, nowhere tested any add-on lenses or any stuff except ones
included...

Peter Corser wrote:
> Hi
>
> Whether they are any use to you depends on whether you are going to
> use them! The overall range of the S1 is pretty good so it is
> unlikely that you will need a longer lens in normal use (although
> only you can really assess this). As an alternative to the tele you
> could look at Qimage for printing your output (produces best quality
> enlargements or crops I have seen) and/or Genuine Fractals (or
> similar). QI is considerably cheaper than a tele lens. On a personal
> basis I would much prefer the wide end of the zoom to be about 28 mm
> eqivalent. Panoramic software could be useful here, but I am just
> too lazy!
> Bear in mind that a wide angle add-on is only really designed to be
> used at the full wide angle end of the zoom and the tele add-on is
> only really intended for use at the maximum tele end (there is a bit
> of flexibility, but not much).
>
> I have a Tiffen 2* tele & 0.75* w-a (both 43mm) and Canon 1.5* (58
> mm) - all bought for my Canon G2.
>
> I have Lensmate and Canon adapters for my S1 with Lensmate thread
> adapters (coupling rings). I have Canon & Tiffen adapters for my G2.
>
> The Canon gives excellent quality on the S1 even though it is
> designed for the G2. I would expect the Canon 1.6* designed for the
> S1 to be at least as good, if not better.
>
> The Tiffen wide angle is quite good, but makes the barrel distortion
> in the S1 worse (easy to correct in software). The Canon w-a
> designed for the S1 should be better.
>
> The Tiffen tele is more of a problem. Results are good, but handling
> is a nightmare. Using a Lensmate the S1 lens gently "kisses" the
> rear of the telephoto as it zooms out and shows an error in the
> camera. It is possible, however, to continue working since the rror
> clears iself immediately. Manual focussing is still possible. Using
> the Canon adapter (probably a couple of screw thread turns longer
> than the Lensmate) the "kiss" is avoided, but auto-focussing is still
> not possible (probably losing too much light in the tele - which
> could be a problem with any 2* add-on).
> Lensmate had a compatibility page with examples of several different
> add-ons although they were trying to use them to change the overall
> zoom range and just showed the futility of this!
>
> Peter
>
> PS Even if you don't get the add-ons a Lensmate (since it matches the
> finish of the S! it looks better than the Canon) with a Skylight or UV
> filter plus lenshood can make an enormous difference to all your
> shots (as long as you keep the filter clean!)
>> Has anyone actually tried wide and tele add-on lenses on this
>> camera? Is it worthed to buy? I mean, they are not so cheap, so...

Thanks. This is very detailed info. To be honest, i'm more leaning towards
wide lens, since, as you said, max. wide is sometimes too narrow still...
so, with such wide lens, it's not recomended to go to full zoom...?
I'll take a look to that programs you mentioned.Thanks

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Extremely groovy!

Well done Bruce and good luck with the moose.

If there are an pro-reviewers out there: now that was not difficult was it?

Aerticus

"Bruce Shellenbaum" <iwontreply@anotherdayinparadise.com> wrote in message
> Here's an example using Canon's 1.6 addon
> I took these last spring
> http://www.shellenbaum.com/s1.htm
>

> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:34:10 +0100, "SleeperMan"
> <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote:
>
>>Has anyone actually tried wide and tele add-on lenses on this camera? Is
>>it
>>worthed to buy? I mean, they are not so cheap, so...

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Thanks! Very detailed explanation - pic says it better than thousand
words...
I see some purple fringing when using converter, but in general it's quite
ok.

"Bruce Shellenbaum" <iwontreply@anotherdayinparadise.com> je napisal v
sporocilo news:h6ilp0p09gggb763oak2gi3jk1tuebsgat@4ax.com ...
> Here's an example using Canon's 1.6 addon
> I took these last spring
> http://www.shellenbaum.com/s1.htm
>

> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:34:10 +0100, "SleeperMan"
> <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote:
>
>>Has anyone actually tried wide and tele add-on lenses on this camera? Is
>>it
>>worthed to buy? I mean, they are not so cheap, so...

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I shouldn't say this...

uh-hu so I won't

a momentary lapse which I better keep schtum about

Aerticeus