Newbie can't connect

Hi,

I am probably about to ask a dumb question but I'm a uni student who has
just been given a laptop which runs under XP and has a wifi card.

At uni we have a hotspot and when I boot up it I get a message saying I am
connected and there is a strong signal.

However I am unable to surf or collect email.

I think I need to set the options in Internet Explorer to use a proxy but I
don't know how to do this. This is because when I go to Tools/Internet
Options/ Connections Tab / LAN Settings and put a tick in the proxy box, I
am asked to supply an Address and Port which I don't know.

Thanks,

Noel.

P.S. I also tried in Starbucks but the same thing happened and I could not
get IE to logon to the service providers website as it says I should be able
to do in the Starbucks' guide.

Lance

Your university web pages will have easy-to-follow directions to hook up
to their network. Best to find someone who already has a connection and
ask how he/she did it or use one of the public computer labs.

At my university, students are required to register the wireless card
hardware address and use VPN to connect. You can find your hardware
address by using the command console (Start/Run, type cmd<enter>, type
"ipconfig /all" and look for the "hardware address" in the listing.

I have also heard of other uni's requiring some kind of "virus-free"
certification before you are allowed to hook up.

In other words - hooking up to a uni network is not like Starbucks.

Speaking of Starbucks, give us some details. Has the laptop ever
connected to any netowrk? What is the EXACT error you receive (if any)?
Use the command console again and type in "ping yahoo.com". What
happens? Type in "ipconfig /all" and tell us what it says. Does your
laptop connect when you use a wired connection?

Lance
*****

Noel S Pamfree thought carefully and wrote on 9/18/2004 12:44 AM:
> Hi,
>
> I am probably about to ask a dumb question but I'm a uni student who has
> just been given a laptop which runs under XP and has a wifi card.
>
> At uni we have a hotspot and when I boot up it I get a message saying I am
> connected and there is a strong signal.
>
> However I am unable to surf or collect email.
>
> I think I need to set the options in Internet Explorer to use a proxy but I
> don't know how to do this. This is because when I go to Tools/Internet
> Options/ Connections Tab / LAN Settings and put a tick in the proxy box, I
> am asked to supply an Address and Port which I don't know.

> Thanks,
>
> Noel.
>
> P.S. I also tried in Starbucks but the same thing happened and I could not
> get IE to logon to the service providers website as it says I should be able
> to do in the Starbucks' guide.

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding uni I will talk to one of the IT team.

However I get no joy in Starbucks. My laptop has no problems connecting at
home to broadband via a LAN router. I have never been able to connect
anywhere using the Wifi. Used the MSDOS command you suggested and get the
following:

IP Routing Enabled NO
WINS Proxy enabled NO
DHCP Enabled
Autoconfiguration IP 169.254.56.218
Sub Net 255.255.255.0

I think I read somewhere that IP Addressed for Wifi should not begin with
169? Is this right? If so what should I change it to?

Thanks for the help,

Noel
"Lance" <lltbhill@link_earth.net> wrote in message
> Your university web pages will have easy-to-follow directions to hook up
> to their network. Best to find someone who already has a connection and
> ask how he/she did it or use one of the public computer labs.
>
> At my university, students are required to register the wireless card
> hardware address and use VPN to connect. You can find your hardware
> address by using the command console (Start/Run, type cmd<enter>, type
> "ipconfig /all" and look for the "hardware address" in the listing.
>
> I have also heard of other uni's requiring some kind of "virus-free"
> certification before you are allowed to hook up.
>
> In other words - hooking up to a uni network is not like Starbucks.
>
> Speaking of Starbucks, give us some details. Has the laptop ever connected
> to any netowrk? What is the EXACT error you receive (if any)? Use the
> command console again and type in "ping yahoo.com". What happens? Type in
> "ipconfig /all" and tell us what it says. Does your laptop connect when
> you use a wired connection?
>
> Lance
> *****
>
> Noel S Pamfree thought carefully and wrote on 9/18/2004 12:44 AM:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am probably about to ask a dumb question but I'm a uni student who has
>> just been given a laptop which runs under XP and has a wifi card.
>>
>> At uni we have a hotspot and when I boot up it I get a message saying I
>> am connected and there is a strong signal.
>>
>> However I am unable to surf or collect email.
>>
>> I think I need to set the options in Internet Explorer to use a proxy but
>> I don't know how to do this. This is because when I go to Tools/Internet
>> Options/ Connections Tab / LAN Settings and put a tick in the proxy box,
>> I am asked to supply an Address and Port which I don't know.
>>

>> Can anyone point me in the right direction?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Noel.
>>
>> P.S. I also tried in Starbucks but the same thing happened and I could
>> not
>> get IE to logon to the service providers website as it says I should be
>> able to do in the Starbucks' guide.

Lance

What's happening is your laptop is looking for a DHCP server and it's
not finding any. When it can't find it, Windows automatically gives
itself an address starting with 169.254.x.x. This is called an APIPA
address (Automaticsomethingorother)

There could be dozens of reasons why your laptop can't find a DHCP
server. I see that the Starbucks website says you need an account with
them to connect to their hotspot, plus they provide telephone support.
You may want to use that support in addition to the uni IT Dept.

Is the wireless adapter enabled and working properly? Look at the
properties of the wireless adapter and see (start/run, type in
devmgmt.msc <return>)

Do you get any sort of wireless signal strength at all? If the wireless
adapter is built-in, is the antenna turned on? My daughter's laptop has
a switch that Lewis and Clark would have a hard time finding.

Next time you're at a hotspot, try ipconfig /release, then ipconfig /renew.

Lance
*****

Noel S Pamfree thought carefully and wrote on 9/19/2004 4:24 AM:

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Regarding uni I will talk to one of the IT team.
>
> However I get no joy in Starbucks. My laptop has no problems connecting at
> home to broadband via a LAN router. I have never been able to connect
> anywhere using the Wifi. Used the MSDOS command you suggested and get the
> following:
>
> IP Routing Enabled NO
> WINS Proxy enabled NO
> DHCP Enabled
> Autoconfiguration IP 169.254.56.218
> Sub Net 255.255.255.0
>
> I think I read somewhere that IP Addressed for Wifi should not begin with
> 169? Is this right? If so what should I change it to?
>
> Thanks for the help,
>
> Noel
> "Lance" <lltbhill@link_earth.net> wrote in message
>
>>Your university web pages will have easy-to-follow directions to hook up
>>to their network. Best to find someone who already has a connection and
>>ask how he/she did it or use one of the public computer labs.
>>
>>At my university, students are required to register the wireless card
>>hardware address and use VPN to connect. You can find your hardware
>>address by using the command console (Start/Run, type cmd<enter>, type
>>"ipconfig /all" and look for the "hardware address" in the listing.
>>
>>I have also heard of other uni's requiring some kind of "virus-free"
>>certification before you are allowed to hook up.
>>
>>In other words - hooking up to a uni network is not like Starbucks.
>>
>>Speaking of Starbucks, give us some details. Has the laptop ever connected
>>to any netowrk? What is the EXACT error you receive (if any)? Use the
>>command console again and type in "ping yahoo.com". What happens? Type in
>>"ipconfig /all" and tell us what it says. Does your laptop connect when
>>you use a wired connection?
>>
>>Lance
>>*****
>>
>>Noel S Pamfree thought carefully and wrote on 9/18/2004 12:44 AM:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I am probably about to ask a dumb question but I'm a uni student who has
>>>just been given a laptop which runs under XP and has a wifi card.
>>>
>>>At uni we have a hotspot and when I boot up it I get a message saying I
>>>am connected and there is a strong signal.
>>>
>>>However I am unable to surf or collect email.
>>>
>>>I think I need to set the options in Internet Explorer to use a proxy but
>>>I don't know how to do this. This is because when I go to Tools/Internet
>>>Options/ Connections Tab / LAN Settings and put a tick in the proxy box,
>>>I am asked to supply an Address and Port which I don't know.
>>>

>>>Can anyone point me in the right direction?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>Noel.
>>>
>>>P.S. I also tried in Starbucks but the same thing happened and I could
>>>not
>>>get IE to logon to the service providers website as it says I should be
>>>able to do in the Starbucks' guide.

Thanks for the explanation about DHCP. When I'm at uni or in Starbucks I do
get a message saying that Wi-fi is available and I get a good signal
strength.

I am pretty sure the wireless adapter is enabled; when I type in
devmgmt.msc. there are no yellow circles with ! in them in the network
adapters. Also in Device manager / Network adapters the Wireless Mini PCI
card reports that the device is working properly. I don't know if it is
relevant but in the properties of my wireless network connection I am told
it is part of the Network Bridge and to use the properties there. It is set
to obtain an IP address automatically as you said. On the Authentication tab
the 'IEEE 802.1x' authentication for this network is checked and EAP type
set to 'Smart Card or other Certificate'. There is also a check in the box
marked 'Authenticate as computer when computer information is available but
there is no check in the 'Authenticate as guest ...' box.

The wireless adapter is an Agere mini PCI card model 0508 (802.11b) I am not
sure how I would check whether or not the antenna is turned on but I have
learned what you mean by "Lewis and Clark" after a Google search - thanks!

I have emailed the uni IT support and hope to get a reply now its Monday.

Thanks again for all your help - I have learned a lot and am sure I will
have the thing working soon!

> [...]
>>>ask how he/she did it or use one of the public computer labs.
>>>
>>>At my university, students are required to register the wireless card
>>>hardware address and use VPN to connect. You can find your hardware
>>>address by using the command console (Start/Run, type cmd<enter>, type
>>>"ipconfig /all" and look for the "hardware address" in the listing.
>>>
>>>I have also heard of other uni's requiring some kind of "virus-free"
>>>certification before you are allowed to hook up.
>>>
>>>In other words - hooking up to a uni network is not like Starbucks.
>>>
>>>Speaking of Starbucks, give us some details. Has the laptop ever
>>>connected to any netowrk? What is the EXACT error you receive (if any)?
>>>Use the command console again and type in "ping yahoo.com". What happens?
>>>Type in "ipconfig /all" and tell us what it says. Does your laptop
>>>connect when you use a wired connection?

Very good information in your post - thanks. I'll bet if you perform the
following, you'll get it working:

Delete the bridge - that's used for tying two networks together. Open
Control Panel, then Network Connections. Delete all bridges you find.

Uncheck "IEEE 802.1x" - this is for networks using Extensible
Authentication Protocol (EAP) (whatever that is). Believe me, Starbucks
does not use EAP. You can connect with this checked, but this is a
common cause of dropped internet connections every few minutes.'

Lance
*****

Noel S Pamfree said the following on 9/20/2004 2:37 AM:
> [...]
>>/renew.
>>
>>Lance
>>*****
>>
>>Noel S Pamfree thought carefully and wrote on 9/19/2004 4:24 AM:
>>

>>>Thanks for the reply.
>>>
>>>Regarding uni I will talk to one of the IT team.
>>>
>>>However I get no joy in Starbucks. My laptop has no problems connecting
>>>at home to broadband via a LAN router. I have never been able to connect
>>>anywhere using the Wifi. Used the MSDOS command you suggested and get
>>>the following:
>>>
>>>IP Routing Enabled NO
>>>WINS Proxy enabled NO
>>>DHCP Enabled
>>>Autoconfiguration IP 169.254.56.218
>>>Sub Net 255.255.255.0
>>>
>>>I think I read somewhere that IP Addressed for Wifi should not begin with
>>>169? Is this right? If so what should I change it to?

I will try this when I go to uni - many thanks!

> Very good information in your post - thanks. I'll bet if you perform the
> following, you'll get it working:
>
> Delete the bridge - that's used for tying two networks together. Open
> Control Panel, then Network Connections. Delete all bridges you find.
>
> Uncheck "IEEE 802.1x" - this is for networks using Extensible
> Authentication Protocol (EAP) (whatever that is). Believe me, Starbucks
> does not use EAP. You can connect with this checked, but this is a common
> cause of dropped internet connections every few minutes.'
>
> Lance
> *****

I am pleased to report that all is well at Starbucks and at uni I have been
given an IP address and I can now connect without any problems.

Thanks for all the help!

Noel

"Noel S Pamfree" <Noel.spamfree@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I will try this when I go to uni - many thanks!
>

> "Lance" <lltbhill@link_earth.net> wrote in message
>> Very good information in your post - thanks. I'll bet if you perform the
>> following, you'll get it working:
>>
>> Delete the bridge - that's used for tying two networks together. Open
>> Control Panel, then Network Connections. Delete all bridges you find.
>>
>> Uncheck "IEEE 802.1x" - this is for networks using Extensible
>> Authentication Protocol (EAP) (whatever that is). Believe me, Starbucks
>> does not use EAP. You can connect with this checked, but this is a common
>> cause of dropped internet connections every few minutes.'
>>
>> Lance
>> *****

Lance

What happened? What worked?

Lance
*****

Noel S Pamfree thought carefully and wrote on 9/23/2004 2:52 AM:
> I am pleased to report that all is well at Starbucks and at uni I have been
> given an IP address and I can now connect without any problems.
>
> Thanks for all the help!
>
> Noel
>
> "Noel S Pamfree" <Noel.spamfree@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I will try this when I go to uni - many thanks!
>>

>>"Lance" <lltbhill@link_earth.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>Very good information in your post - thanks. I'll bet if you perform the
>>>following, you'll get it working:
>>>
>>>Delete the bridge - that's used for tying two networks together. Open
>>>Control Panel, then Network Connections. Delete all bridges you find.
>>>
>>>Uncheck "IEEE 802.1x" - this is for networks using Extensible
>>>Authentication Protocol (EAP) (whatever that is). Believe me, Starbucks
>>>does not use EAP. You can connect with this checked, but this is a common
>>>cause of dropped internet connections every few minutes.'
>>>
>>>Lance
>>>*****

I deleted the bridge - well to me more exact I took the tick out of wifi box
in the bridge so that the other network connections would work when I
connected the LAN cable to our home network.

I also unchecked the "IEEE 802.1x"

In Starbucks I was able to reach the T2 website and enter my details.

At uni the System Manager gave me an IP address, which I put in and I
connected to the Internet straight away. It appears they do not lock the
system down at present so there is no need to logon at a website.

Thanks again,