How to circumvent missing rar volumes?

I am new to internet video and one of the problems I encounter is
missing or unrepairable pieces in multiple rar files. If I want to see a
video without that missing portion, is there a way to build a movie
using WinRar, perhaps using one of the switches? Please guide me to
right direction.

On Tue, 11 May 2004 10:58:20 -0500, Chiropter <chiropter@cox.net>
wrote:

>I am new to internet video and one of the problems I encounter is
>missing or unrepairable pieces in multiple rar files. If I want to see a
>video without that missing portion, is there a way to build a movie
>using WinRar, perhaps using one of the switches? Please guide me to
>right direction.

The only way to build a damaged archive is if you have PAR
files with it and then use SmartPAR or some similar program to
reconstruct the data.

Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
I have no fears in life,
for I have already survived Theta-G!

wrote:

>I am new to internet video and one of the problems I encounter is
>missing or unrepairable pieces in multiple rar files. If I want to see a
>video without that missing portion, is there a way to build a movie
>using WinRar, perhaps using one of the switches? Please guide me to
>right direction.

If redudant repair info was included by the maker of the files, then
it is possible to recover them. WinRar's own recovery system isn't as
popular as using an external one in the form of PAR or PAR2 recovery
files, posted along with whatever other files make up the set.

Lacking either, you are out of luck. WinRar can't extract the files
from an incomplete set, by design.

"Chiropter" <chiropter@cox.net> wrote in message
> I am new to internet video and one of the problems I encounter is
> missing or unrepairable pieces in multiple rar files. If I want to see a
> video without that missing portion, is there a way to build a movie
> using WinRar, perhaps using one of the switches? Please guide me to
> right direction.

Right click on the first rar segment, either ".rar" or part001.rar if all
extensions are rar. Select open to see what kind of file is in the rar
volume. If it is the mpeg file then you just need to extract what you can.
If it is a bin/cue file you will need ISOBuster to extract the mpeg file
from the bin/cue image file. When ready, right click on the first rar
volume and select "extract files", nothing else. A window will open and
near the bottom on the left side select keep broken files, then set where
you want the extraction to go and then select ok. WinRAR will extract until
it reaches the missing or corrupt segment, then cancel the operation but
make sure to keep the extracted file. You will then have part of the
extracted file and then can further process it to view. If it is a Divx
type avi file, you will need to load it into Virtual Dub and let it fix the
file so it will play. You might try starting another extraction after the
bad segment and see if you can get more of the complete file, I have never
had to do this.

Mike T

gravitonxd

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
If it is a media file then here is what you can do. Make a copy of any of .rar part and rename it into the missing part. Then extract by right clicking the first rar (Right click>Extract file> tick Keep Broken files> ) let it go until 95% at this point cancel the operation manually it will ask do you want to cancel say yes. Now what is left is a broken media file. Open it with VLC media player it will ask to repair , repair it, there you go. What you would see is a copied part playing in the place of missing part. I did it just now and works fine.
May be this can help for a while but there is a real need for a program which can extract any part of .rar without the need for other parts at all, lets hope there will be one such soon.