Replaying Deus Ex

Just finished Far Cry and wanted to go back to some classic gaming.
Reinstalled Deus Ex and am now remembering how to play.

Next may have to go dig up a copy of Half-Life and take another stroll
though Black Mesa.

Aside from the graphics, these games still ROCK!

How I wish gaming companies would get serious about graphics makeovers for
their classic titles. The gameplay, story-line, and everything else is still
great on these titles -- they just need to look better.

--
_________________________________
James A. Cooley

    James A. Cooley wrote:
    > Just finished Far Cry and wanted to go back to some classic gaming.
    > Reinstalled Deus Ex and am now remembering how to play.

    [...]

    > How I wish gaming companies would get serious about graphics
    > makeovers for their classic titles. The gameplay, story-line, and
    > everything else is still great on these titles -- they just need to
    > look better.

    There was a project to update Deus Ex, but the last
    update to the news section is July of last year:

    http://dxrebirth.deusexgaming.com/
    --
    -pm

    http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

    "The sea was angry that day, my friends. Like an old man trying
    to send back soup in a deli."

    "James A. Cooley" <jacooley@centralpets.com> wrote in message
    > Just finished Far Cry and wanted to go back to some classic gaming.
    > Reinstalled Deus Ex and am now remembering how to play.
    >
    > Next may have to go dig up a copy of Half-Life and take another stroll
    > though Black Mesa.
    >
    > Aside from the graphics, these games still ROCK!
    >
    > How I wish gaming companies would get serious about graphics makeovers for
    > their classic titles. The gameplay, story-line, and everything else is
    still
    > great on these titles -- they just need to look better.

    Graphics are usually the last thing I care about, not un-important (they
    have to function etc), but gameplay > all.

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:53:42 GMT, "Lief" <ask.me.for@it.com> wrote:

    >Graphics are usually the last thing I care about, not un-important (they
    >have to function etc), but gameplay > all.

    Yes, but Deus Ex:Source would be nice :-)

    Lief proclaimed...

    > Graphics are usually the last thing I care about, not un-important (they
    > have to function etc), but gameplay > all.

    /me nods in agreement

    --
    "Now that there is one damn fine coat you're wearing."

    www.stri.tk - site and blog

    It was a dark and stormy night in alt.games.half-life when James A. Cooley
    exclaimed:

    > Just finished Far Cry and wanted to go back to some classic gaming.
    > Reinstalled Deus Ex and am now remembering how to play.

    It's probably gaming heresy to say so, but I never liked Deus Ex all that
    much. It seemed to me that despite the supposed different approaches to
    problems, it often railroaded you into combat, however sneaky you were.
    And the fact that the "silent" weapons often brought hordes of guards
    running to kick your arse was something I found quite irritating. Maybe I
    just approached it all wrong :)

    > Next may have to go dig up a copy of Half-Life and take another stroll
    > though Black Mesa.

    Well worth it :) I've not replayed the whole thing in a while, but I did
    replay my favourite sections from time to time as the mood took me.

    > Aside from the graphics, these games still ROCK!

    HL's & Deus Ex' graphics seem ok to me, tbh.

    > How I wish gaming companies would get serious about graphics makeovers for
    > their classic titles. The gameplay, story-line, and everything else is
    > still great on these titles -- they just need to look better.

    It's the sort of thing that's more likely to come from the community, I
    think - I don't think it's much of a money maker for games companies.
    Witness the whinging when a sequel is released that doesn't differ
    sufficiently from the first game ("I'm not paying £40 for improved
    graphics!") System Shock 2 (a favourite of mine) had a team working on
    it's atmospheric, but admittedly rather angular, graphics a little while
    ago - not sure if it's still going, but they'd got far enough to make their
    mod worth downloading. (Incidentally, if you're after a whole
    story/gameplay experience, I highly recommend SS2 - aside from the last
    part, it's excellent).

    --
    Wildy

    "WildStyle24_7" <wildstyle247@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > It was a dark and stormy night in alt.games.half-life when James A. Cooley
    > exclaimed:
    >
    > > Just finished Far Cry and wanted to go back to some classic gaming.
    > > Reinstalled Deus Ex and am now remembering how to play.
    > >
    > It's probably gaming heresy to say so, but I never liked Deus Ex all that
    > much. It seemed to me that despite the supposed different approaches to
    > problems, it often railroaded you into combat, however sneaky you were.
    > And the fact that the "silent" weapons often brought hordes of guards
    > running to kick your arse was something I found quite irritating. Maybe I
    > just approached it all wrong :)

    Hmm I think I did it with only killing one or two people. I believe it is
    possible with killiing nobody, cant remember.

    "Lief" <ask.me.for@it.com> wrote in message

    > "WildStyle24_7" <wildstyle247@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> It was a dark and stormy night in alt.games.half-life when James A.
    >> Cooley
    >> exclaimed:
    >>
    >> > Just finished Far Cry and wanted to go back to some classic gaming.
    >> > Reinstalled Deus Ex and am now remembering how to play.
    >> >
    >> It's probably gaming heresy to say so, but I never liked Deus Ex all that
    >> much. It seemed to me that despite the supposed different approaches to
    >> problems, it often railroaded you into combat, however sneaky you were.
    >> And the fact that the "silent" weapons often brought hordes of guards
    >> running to kick your arse was something I found quite irritating. Maybe
    >> just approached it all wrong :)
    >
    > Hmm I think I did it with only killing one or two people. I believe it is
    > possible with killiing nobody, cant remember.

    It is possible to play the entire game without killing but one character.

    MINOR SPOILER FOLLOWS:

    You absolutely have to kill Anna Navarre. You can either do it at the 747 or
    at UNATCO HQ later, but the plot requires that she die.

    The best way to do it is to plant LAMS at the hallway of the 747 leading to
    Lebedev. You get extra skill points if you keep him alive to explain more of
    your past (Anna is there to kill him, and will unless you stop her first)
    and Anna is a very tough fight in close quarters.

    "WildStyle24_7" <wildstyle247@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > It's probably gaming heresy to say so, but I never liked Deus Ex all that
    > much. It seemed to me that despite the supposed different approaches to
    > problems, it often railroaded you into combat, however sneaky you were.
    > And the fact that the "silent" weapons often brought hordes of guards
    > running to kick your arse was something I found quite irritating. Maybe I
    > just approached it all wrong :)

    Many people are put off by the apparent difficulty when first playing
    Deus Ex. Taking down a single enemy by himself is easy enough. But if
    you're not going to finish him with the first couple of shots, you best be
    sure he can't get to an alarm switch before he dies. After hit with a
    tranquilizer dart, they will stagger around for some distance before
    falling. Again, make sure you know where the alarm switch is before
    attacking. Deus Ex requires careful tactical planning preceeded by proper
    reconisance of the area, because you are absolutely right about the hordes
    that will come once an alarm is sounded.

    Later in the game when you are better armed and more advanced in skills
    you can attempt more bold multiple enemey take downs, but even then it's
    often a risky maneuver. It's just not that kind of game.

    Bob

    SNIP

    WildStyle24_7 wrote:

    > It's probably gaming heresy to say so, but I never liked Deus Ex all
    > that much.

    BURN THE WITCH!

    --
    -pm

    http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

    "The sea was angry that day, my friends. Like an old man trying
    to send back soup in a deli."

    It was a dark and stormy night in alt.games.half-life when rjdriver
    exclaimed:

    > Many people are put off by the apparent difficulty when first playing
    > Deus Ex.

    I thought it wasn't too bad, difficulty wise. What I found was that you
    couldn't play stealthy & combative, i.e. you either sneak all the way, or
    you fight all the way. Sneaking up on a guard and then tranq'ing him (out
    of sight, and presumably earshot of other guards, and dropping him pretty
    damned sharpish, even though I say so myself) invariably brought a horde of
    the buggers down on my position. Where one had to take out a guard to get
    past one, it seemed to be more straightforward to fight the lot, tbh.

    > Deus Ex requires careful tactical planning preceeded by proper
    > reconisance of the area, because you are absolutely right about the hordes
    > that will come once an alarm is sounded.

    Hmm - the problem I found is that people would come whether an alarm got
    sounded or not (I guess the guards have radios.. :) ) just shooting a
    supposedly silent weapon was enough.

    --
    Wildy

    "rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net> wrote in message
    > "WildStyle24_7" <wildstyle247@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >

    >> It's probably gaming heresy to say so, but I never liked Deus Ex all that
    >> much. It seemed to me that despite the supposed different approaches to
    >> problems, it often railroaded you into combat, however sneaky you were.
    >> And the fact that the "silent" weapons often brought hordes of guards
    >> running to kick your arse was something I found quite irritating. Maybe
    >> just approached it all wrong :)
    >
    > Many people are put off by the apparent difficulty when first playing
    > Deus Ex. Taking down a single enemy by himself is easy enough. But if
    > you're not going to finish him with the first couple of shots, you best be
    > sure he can't get to an alarm switch before he dies. After hit with a
    > tranquilizer dart, they will stagger around for some distance before
    > falling. Again, make sure you know where the alarm switch is before
    > attacking. Deus Ex requires careful tactical planning preceeded by proper
    > reconisance of the area, because you are absolutely right about the hordes
    > that will come once an alarm is sounded.
    >
    > Later in the game when you are better armed and more advanced in skills
    > you can attempt more bold multiple enemey take downs, but even then it's
    > often a risky maneuver. It's just not that kind of game.
    >

    > Bob

    In a way, it reminded me of playing Far Cry on the realistic setting. Run
    and gun was suicide. You had to stalk, sneak, plan, use cover, etc. Really
    made you think.

    Strider wrote:
    > Lief proclaimed...
    >

    >>Graphics are usually the last thing I care about, not un-important (they
    >>have to function etc), but gameplay > all.
    >

    > /me nods in agreement

    Debatable. I really like the immersiveness of Doom 3, particularly due
    to the graphics engine with its unified lighting/shadowing system. Say
    what you will about the gameplay, but the graphics engine was
    instrumental in providing the atmosphere of the game, which counted for
    a lot IMHO.

    "GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    > Strider wrote:
    >> Lief proclaimed...
    >>

    >>> Graphics are usually the last thing I care about, not un-important
    >>> (they have to function etc), but gameplay > all.
    >>

    >> /me nods in agreement
    >>
    > Debatable. I really like the immersiveness of Doom 3, particularly due
    > to the graphics engine with its unified lighting/shadowing system. Say
    > what you will about the gameplay, but the graphics engine was
    > instrumental in providing the atmosphere of the game, which counted
    > for a lot IMHO.

    I feel the same. The total fantastic ambiance of visual and audio with
    excellent controls can sure be put out by something about the gameplay
    itself which keeps your mind 'out' of the game, thinking on it rather
    than IN it :)
    I'm not going to call that 'poor' or 'bad' gameplay. I'll say different
    that what you might think it ought to be. Obviously, a lot of folks
    feel that DeusEx is great in this aspect also. The thing that's making
    Deus Ex playable to me is that none of this is tied to the physical game
    itself, it's that AI conditions make you think differently about your
    choices just so you will survive encounters. In Doom3 you have a
    completely different game world and using stealth now and then is useful
    but hardly necessary. Pretty much the same for HL2 and HL. But in
    DeusEx, I find myself taking my time, checking everything out, looking
    at everything in sight before making that "committed" move :) It will
    take a lot longer to play this game, but it was meant to. All the op's
    were right, DE:IW doesn't really compare to DE. DE is in a league by
    itself.
    Doom3 is also in a league by itself, for now (till Quake4!). The
    gameplay is good, the action is harsh and tense. The ambiance, to me,
    is brilliant.
    DeusEx could still be the same game, just even more enjoyable with
    current graphics.
    McG.

    > The thing that's making Deus Ex playable to me is that none of this is
    > tied to the physical game itself, it's that AI conditions make you think
    > differently about your choices just so you will survive > encounters.

    > ....in DeusEx, I find myself taking my time, checking everything out,
    > looking at everything in sight before making that "committed" move :) It
    > will take a lot longer to play this game, but it was meant to. All the
    > op's were right, DE:IW doesn't really compare to DE. DE is in a league
    > by itself.

    Glad you're finally able to enjoy it after all these years. It's a shame
    the game presents itself early on as being so dang difficult. Not that's
    it's NOT difficult - it is, and it requires a different approach. But it's
    apparent from the recent posts here that it turned a lot of people off, and
    they missed out on a great experince. It takes an adjustment for the
    typical FPS player like myself, but the payoff is worth it.

    I hope more will give it a second look, or even a first. It definately
    takes a while to finish, expecially if you do a lot of exploring, and you
    will, either out of curiousity or to find more of the ammo you need (sniper
    shells, HE rounds, etc.) to get you past a certain obstacle. As I recall,
    there's at least two months of my life, with a few hours almost every night,
    sweated into that world. And that was just the first play through.

    Bob

    >> The thing that's making Deus Ex playable to me is that none of this
    >> is tied to the physical game itself, it's that AI conditions make
    >> you think differently about your choices just so you will survive >
    >> encounters.
    >
    >> ....in DeusEx, I find myself taking my time, checking everything out,
    >> looking at everything in sight before making that "committed" move
    >> :) It will take a lot longer to play this game, but it was meant
    >> to. All the op's were right, DE:IW doesn't really compare to DE. DE
    >> is in a league by itself.
    >
    > Glad you're finally able to enjoy it after all these years. It's a
    > shame the game presents itself early on as being so dang difficult.
    > Not that's it's NOT difficult - it is, and it requires a different
    > approach. But it's apparent from the recent posts here that it
    > turned a lot of people off, and they missed out on a great experince.
    > It takes an adjustment for the typical FPS player like myself, but
    > the payoff is worth it.
    > I hope more will give it a second look, or even a first. It
    > definately takes a while to finish, expecially if you do a lot of
    > exploring, and you will, either out of curiousity or to find more of
    > the ammo you need (sniper shells, HE rounds, etc.) to get you past a
    > certain obstacle. As I recall, there's at least two months of my
    > life, with a few hours almost every night, sweated into that world.
    > And that was just the first play through.
    >
    > Bob

    I like exploring everything. That is the main attraction for games like
    the Tombraider series! I don't know how I managed to miss "New Game"!
    :-\
    McG.

    "rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net> wrote in message

    >> The thing that's making Deus Ex playable to me is that none of this is
    >> tied to the physical game itself, it's that AI conditions make you think
    >> differently about your choices just so you will survive > encounters.
    >
    >> ....in DeusEx, I find myself taking my time, checking everything out,
    >> looking at everything in sight before making that "committed" move :)
    >> It will take a lot longer to play this game, but it was meant to. All
    >> the op's were right, DE:IW doesn't really compare to DE. DE is in a
    >> league by itself.
    >
    > Glad you're finally able to enjoy it after all these years. It's a
    > shame the game presents itself early on as being so dang difficult. Not
    > that's it's NOT difficult - it is, and it requires a different approach.
    > But it's apparent from the recent posts here that it turned a lot of
    > people off, and they missed out on a great experince. It takes an
    > adjustment for the typical FPS player like myself, but the payoff is worth
    > it.
    >
    > I hope more will give it a second look, or even a first. It definately
    > takes a while to finish, expecially if you do a lot of exploring, and you
    > will, either out of curiousity or to find more of the ammo you need
    > (sniper shells, HE rounds, etc.) to get you past a certain obstacle. As
    > I recall, there's at least two months of my life, with a few hours almost
    > every night, sweated into that world. And that was just the first play
    > through.
    >

    > Bob
    The best description I heard of DE is that is was "the thinking man's FPS."

    I still discover something new in every replay.

    "James A. Cooley" <jacooley@centralpets.com> wrote in message
    > Just finished Far Cry and wanted to go back to some classic gaming.
    > Reinstalled Deus Ex and am now remembering how to play.
    >
    > Next may have to go dig up a copy of Half-Life and take another stroll
    > though Black Mesa.
    >
    > Aside from the graphics, these games still ROCK!
    >
    > How I wish gaming companies would get serious about graphics makeovers for
    > their classic titles. The gameplay, story-line, and everything else is
    > still great on these titles -- they just need to look better.
    >

    > --
    > _________________________________
    > James A. Cooley
    > Eschew obfuscation!

    Thanks to the post that Maximus22 made on 6-15-05 I dug out my copy of DE
    and started playing it for the first time. I finished it last night. That's
    17 days using almost 100% of my free time. Now that's what I call a game!
    The game was totally engrossing to me and the graphics were no problem.
    There is something to be said for playing an older game on a newer computer.
    If I had played it when I first got it on the PC that I had at the time, I
    could have managed only about 50% on most settings. Now I can play it wide
    open. During my entire playing time I only had 1 game related crash. That's
    got to be a record for me.

    Thanks for all the posts relating to DE. I wonder if I have other treasures
    laying around waiting to be discovered.

    Mox

    "Mox 13" <nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > "James A. Cooley" <jacooley@centralpets.com> wrote in message
    >> Just finished Far Cry and wanted to go back to some classic gaming.
    >> Reinstalled Deus Ex and am now remembering how to play.
    >>
    >> Next may have to go dig up a copy of Half-Life and take another stroll
    >> though Black Mesa.
    >>
    >> Aside from the graphics, these games still ROCK!
    >>
    >> How I wish gaming companies would get serious about graphics makeovers
    >> for their classic titles. The gameplay, story-line, and everything else
    >> is still great on these titles -- they just need to look better.
    >>

    >> --
    >> _________________________________
    >> James A. Cooley
    >> Eschew obfuscation!
    >
    > Thanks to the post that Maximus22 made on 6-15-05 I dug out my copy of DE
    > and started playing it for the first time. I finished it last night.
    > That's 17 days using almost 100% of my free time. Now that's what I call a
    > game! The game was totally engrossing to me and the graphics were no
    > problem. There is something to be said for playing an older game on a
    > newer computer. If I had played it when I first got it on the PC that I
    > had at the time, I could have managed only about 50% on most settings. Now
    > I can play it wide open. During my entire playing time I only had 1 game
    > related crash. That's got to be a record for me.
    >
    > Thanks for all the posts relating to DE. I wonder if I have other
    > treasures laying around waiting to be discovered.
    >
    > Mox

    17 days! That's pretty damn quick. Even using all your free time
    (unless you are unemployed , out of school, etc). If neither of those are
    the case, I'l bet you could play through it again using one of the alternate
    approches to completing each level and have a whole new experience. There's
    a lot to explore in there, and many different ways to do it. It will also
    give you a chance to sample one of the other endings, in case you didn't do
    that the first time through.

    Bob

    snip
    >>> James A. Cooley
    >>> Eschew obfuscation!
    >>
    >> Thanks to the post that Maximus22 made on 6-15-05 I dug out my copy of DE
    >> and started playing it for the first time. I finished it last night.
    >> That's 17 days using almost 100% of my free time. Now that's what I call
    >> a game! The game was totally engrossing to me and the graphics were no
    >> problem. There is something to be said for playing an older game on a
    >> newer computer. If I had played it when I first got it on the PC that I
    >> had at the time, I could have managed only about 50% on most settings.
    >> Now I can play it wide open. During my entire playing time I only had 1
    >> game related crash. That's got to be a record for me.
    >>
    >> Thanks for all the posts relating to DE. I wonder if I have other
    >> treasures laying around waiting to be discovered.
    >>
    >> Mox
    >>

    > 17 days! That's pretty damn quick. Even using all your free time
    > (unless you are unemployed , out of school, etc). If neither of those are
    > the case, I'l bet you could play through it again using one of the
    > alternate approches to completing each level and have a whole new
    > experience. There's a lot to explore in there, and many different ways to
    > do it. It will also give you a chance to sample one of the other endings,
    > in case you didn't do that the first time through.
    >

    > Bob

    Well I am employed, but when I am really into a game I can manage about 6-8
    hours of play a day, plus weekends. I have a very understanding Wife who
    spends a lot of time on the other PC.

    I have started a new game to try other strategies and tinker with the Augs.
    and skills.

    I did do a Save near the end that allowed me to try out the three endings
    that were offered to me. I thought those end choices pretty odd. Personally
    I would not be happy with any of them. <s>

    Mox

    "Mox 13" <nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > "James A. Cooley" <jacooley@centralpets.com> wrote in message
    >> Just finished Far Cry and wanted to go back to some classic gaming.
    >> Reinstalled Deus Ex and am now remembering how to play.
    >>
    >> Next may have to go dig up a copy of Half-Life and take another stroll
    >> though Black Mesa.
    >>
    >> Aside from the graphics, these games still ROCK!
    >>
    >> How I wish gaming companies would get serious about graphics makeovers
    >> for their classic titles. The gameplay, story-line, and everything else
    >> is still great on these titles -- they just need to look better.
    >>

    >> --
    >> _________________________________
    >> James A. Cooley
    >> Eschew obfuscation!
    >
    > Thanks to the post that Maximus22 made on 6-15-05 I dug out my copy of DE
    > and started playing it for the first time. I finished it last night.
    > That's 17 days using almost 100% of my free time. Now that's what I call a
    > game! The game was totally engrossing to me and the graphics were no
    > problem. There is something to be said for playing an older game on a
    > newer computer. If I had played it when I first got it on the PC that I
    > had at the time, I could have managed only about 50% on most settings. Now
    > I can play it wide open. During my entire playing time I only had 1 game
    > related crash. That's got to be a record for me.
    >
    > Thanks for all the posts relating to DE. I wonder if I have other
    > treasures laying around waiting to be discovered.
    >
    > Mox

    It would really take very little to "clean up" the graphics. Higher poly
    models would help a lot and smoother facial animations during dialog. It
    would be nice to let JC have ears, for example!

    Basically do for Deus Ex what was done with the high-res pack for Half-Life
    from Valve. There was also that mod for System Shock II that upgraded the
    graphics of the creatures.

    The game would benefit from just little graphics touch-up. Subtle stuff to
    add some of the details that couldn't be done in the original. That said,
    thought, the game still is enthralling. Moody, dark, challenging as can be,
    and rewarding your brain mor than your reflexes. Run and gun gets you killed
    here.

    For a real challenge, try playing it on realistic without saved games
    (except as a crash protection). You die, you start over. I am trying that
    now just to see how far I can make it. Got to the airfield late last night,
    then got careless and bot popped me.

    You really play differently when you don't reload after dying. Stealth,
    hacking, and top sniper skills become the key to survival.

    I am also pleased at how stable overall the game has been. I have had only
    one crash since reloading it in several nights of gameplay.

    Another lost gem out there is Anachronox from Ion Storm. Also has dated
    graphics, but makes up for it with a tremendous sci-fi story-line, humor,
    fun gameplay, and a cult following among its devotees.

    The only problem with it is that it is a bit buggy buggy and you have to
    hunt down all the patches. Fans of the game took it upon themselves to
    correct some of the game's issues after Ion Storm ceased to exist.

    I think about reloading it every now and then.

    In article <%Meye.3648$8f7.758@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>, Mox
    13 <nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:

    > Thanks for all the posts relating to DE. I wonder if I have other treasures
    > laying around waiting to be discovered.

    Good thought. Try under that newspaper over there.. isn't that a copy
    of Mafia I can see? And look - Jedi Knight next to it!

    ___
    Neil
    aka HighVis

Gaming Classic Games Graphics Video Games