Replaying Deus Ex

Last response: in Video Games
a b 4 Gaming
June 30, 2005 10:43:12 AM

Just finished Far Cry and wanted to go back to some classic gaming.
Reinstalled Deus Ex and am now remembering how to play.

Next may have to go dig up a copy of Half-Life and take another stroll
though Black Mesa.

Aside from the graphics, these games still ROCK!

How I wish gaming companies would get serious about graphics makeovers for
their classic titles. The gameplay, story-line, and everything else is still
great on these titles -- they just need to look better.

--
_________________________________
James A. Cooley

More about : replaying deus

Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
June 30, 2005 3:39:46 PM

James A. Cooley wrote:
> Just finished Far Cry and wanted to go back to some classic gaming.
> Reinstalled Deus Ex and am now remembering how to play.

[...]

> How I wish gaming companies would get serious about graphics
> makeovers for their classic titles. The gameplay, story-line, and
> everything else is still great on these titles -- they just need to
> look better.

There was a project to update Deus Ex, but the last
update to the news section is July of last year:

http://dxrebirth.deusexgaming.com/
--
-pm

http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

"The sea was angry that day, my friends. Like an old man trying
to send back soup in a deli."
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
June 30, 2005 4:53:42 PM

"James A. Cooley" <jacooley@centralpets.com> wrote in message
> Just finished Far Cry and wanted to go back to some classic gaming.
> Reinstalled Deus Ex and am now remembering how to play.
>
> Next may have to go dig up a copy of Half-Life and take another stroll
> though Black Mesa.
>
> Aside from the graphics, these games still ROCK!
>
> How I wish gaming companies would get serious about graphics makeovers for
> their classic titles. The gameplay, story-line, and everything else is
still
> great on these titles -- they just need to look better.

Graphics are usually the last thing I care about, not un-important (they
have to function etc), but gameplay > all.
Related resources
June 30, 2005 5:55:40 PM

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:53:42 GMT, "Lief" <ask.me.for@it.com> wrote:

>Graphics are usually the last thing I care about, not un-important (they
>have to function etc), but gameplay > all.

Yes, but Deus Ex:Source would be nice :-)
June 30, 2005 8:14:04 PM

Lief proclaimed...

> Graphics are usually the last thing I care about, not un-important (they
> have to function etc), but gameplay > all.

/me nods in agreement

--
"Now that there is one damn fine coat you're wearing."

www.stri.tk - site and blog
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
June 30, 2005 11:59:10 PM

It was a dark and stormy night in alt.games.half-life when James A. Cooley
exclaimed:

> Just finished Far Cry and wanted to go back to some classic gaming.
> Reinstalled Deus Ex and am now remembering how to play.

It's probably gaming heresy to say so, but I never liked Deus Ex all that
much. It seemed to me that despite the supposed different approaches to
problems, it often railroaded you into combat, however sneaky you were.
And the fact that the "silent" weapons often brought hordes of guards
running to kick your arse was something I found quite irritating. Maybe I
just approached it all wrong :)

> Next may have to go dig up a copy of Half-Life and take another stroll
> though Black Mesa.

Well worth it :)  I've not replayed the whole thing in a while, but I did
replay my favourite sections from time to time as the mood took me.

> Aside from the graphics, these games still ROCK!

HL's & Deus Ex' graphics seem ok to me, tbh.

> How I wish gaming companies would get serious about graphics makeovers for
> their classic titles. The gameplay, story-line, and everything else is
> still great on these titles -- they just need to look better.

It's the sort of thing that's more likely to come from the community, I
think - I don't think it's much of a money maker for games companies.
Witness the whinging when a sequel is released that doesn't differ
sufficiently from the first game ("I'm not paying £40 for improved
graphics!") System Shock 2 (a favourite of mine) had a team working on
it's atmospheric, but admittedly rather angular, graphics a little while
ago - not sure if it's still going, but they'd got far enough to make their
mod worth downloading. (Incidentally, if you're after a whole
story/gameplay experience, I highly recommend SS2 - aside from the last
part, it's excellent).

--
Wildy
Anonymous

"WildStyle24_7" <wildstyle247@gmail.com> wrote in message
> It was a dark and stormy night in alt.games.half-life when James A. Cooley
> exclaimed:
>
> > Just finished Far Cry and wanted to go back to some classic gaming.
> > Reinstalled Deus Ex and am now remembering how to play.
> >
> It's probably gaming heresy to say so, but I never liked Deus Ex all that
> much. It seemed to me that despite the supposed different approaches to
> problems, it often railroaded you into combat, however sneaky you were.
> And the fact that the "silent" weapons often brought hordes of guards
> running to kick your arse was something I found quite irritating. Maybe I
> just approached it all wrong :)

Hmm I think I did it with only killing one or two people. I believe it is
possible with killiing nobody, cant remember.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
July 1, 2005 7:34:12 AM

"Lief" <ask.me.for@it.com> wrote in message

> "WildStyle24_7" <wildstyle247@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> It was a dark and stormy night in alt.games.half-life when James A.
>> Cooley
>> exclaimed:
>>
>> > Just finished Far Cry and wanted to go back to some classic gaming.
>> > Reinstalled Deus Ex and am now remembering how to play.
>> >
>> It's probably gaming heresy to say so, but I never liked Deus Ex all that
>> much. It seemed to me that despite the supposed different approaches to
>> problems, it often railroaded you into combat, however sneaky you were.
>> And the fact that the "silent" weapons often brought hordes of guards
>> running to kick your arse was something I found quite irritating. Maybe
>> just approached it all wrong :)
>
> Hmm I think I did it with only killing one or two people. I believe it is
> possible with killiing nobody, cant remember.

It is possible to play the entire game without killing but one character.

MINOR SPOILER FOLLOWS:

You absolutely have to kill Anna Navarre. You can either do it at the 747 or
at UNATCO HQ later, but the plot requires that she die.

The best way to do it is to plant LAMS at the hallway of the 747 leading to
Lebedev. You get extra skill points if you keep him alive to explain more of
your past (Anna is there to kill him, and will unless you stop her first)
and Anna is a very tough fight in close quarters.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
July 1, 2005 10:58:44 AM

"WildStyle24_7" <wildstyle247@gmail.com> wrote in message

> It's probably gaming heresy to say so, but I never liked Deus Ex all that
> much. It seemed to me that despite the supposed different approaches to
> problems, it often railroaded you into combat, however sneaky you were.
> And the fact that the "silent" weapons often brought hordes of guards
> running to kick your arse was something I found quite irritating. Maybe I
> just approached it all wrong :)

Many people are put off by the apparent difficulty when first playing
Deus Ex. Taking down a single enemy by himself is easy enough. But if
you're not going to finish him with the first couple of shots, you best be
sure he can't get to an alarm switch before he dies. After hit with a
tranquilizer dart, they will stagger around for some distance before
falling. Again, make sure you know where the alarm switch is before
attacking. Deus Ex requires careful tactical planning preceeded by proper
reconisance of the area, because you are absolutely right about the hordes
that will come once an alarm is sounded.

Later in the game when you are better armed and more advanced in skills
you can attempt more bold multiple enemey take downs, but even then it's
often a risky maneuver. It's just not that kind of game.

Bob

SNIP
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
July 1, 2005 2:41:47 PM

WildStyle24_7 wrote:

> It's probably gaming heresy to say so, but I never liked Deus Ex all
> that much.

BURN THE WITCH!

--
-pm

http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

"The sea was angry that day, my friends. Like an old man trying
to send back soup in a deli."
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
July 2, 2005 12:01:37 AM

It was a dark and stormy night in alt.games.half-life when rjdriver
exclaimed:

> Many people are put off by the apparent difficulty when first playing
> Deus Ex.

I thought it wasn't too bad, difficulty wise. What I found was that you
couldn't play stealthy & combative, i.e. you either sneak all the way, or
you fight all the way. Sneaking up on a guard and then tranq'ing him (out
of sight, and presumably earshot of other guards, and dropping him pretty
damned sharpish, even though I say so myself) invariably brought a horde of
the buggers down on my position. Where one had to take out a guard to get
past one, it seemed to be more straightforward to fight the lot, tbh.

> Deus Ex requires careful tactical planning preceeded by proper
> reconisance of the area, because you are absolutely right about the hordes
> that will come once an alarm is sounded.

Hmm - the problem I found is that people would come whether an alarm got
sounded or not (I guess the guards have radios.. :)  ) just shooting a
supposedly silent weapon was enough.

--
Wildy
Anonymous

"rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net> wrote in message
> "WildStyle24_7" <wildstyle247@gmail.com> wrote in message
>

>> It's probably gaming heresy to say so, but I never liked Deus Ex all that
>> much. It seemed to me that despite the supposed different approaches to
>> problems, it often railroaded you into combat, however sneaky you were.
>> And the fact that the "silent" weapons often brought hordes of guards
>> running to kick your arse was something I found quite irritating. Maybe
>> just approached it all wrong :)
>
> Many people are put off by the apparent difficulty when first playing
> Deus Ex. Taking down a single enemy by himself is easy enough. But if
> you're not going to finish him with the first couple of shots, you best be
> sure he can't get to an alarm switch before he dies. After hit with a
> tranquilizer dart, they will stagger around for some distance before
> falling. Again, make sure you know where the alarm switch is before
> attacking. Deus Ex requires careful tactical planning preceeded by proper
> reconisance of the area, because you are absolutely right about the hordes
> that will come once an alarm is sounded.
>
> Later in the game when you are better armed and more advanced in skills
> you can attempt more bold multiple enemey take downs, but even then it's
> often a risky maneuver. It's just not that kind of game.
>

> Bob

In a way, it reminded me of playing Far Cry on the realistic setting. Run
and gun was suicide. You had to stalk, sneak, plan, use cover, etc. Really
made you think.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
July 2, 2005 2:33:30 PM

Strider wrote:
> Lief proclaimed...
>

>>Graphics are usually the last thing I care about, not un-important (they
>>have to function etc), but gameplay > all.
>

> /me nods in agreement

Debatable. I really like the immersiveness of Doom 3, particularly due
to the graphics engine with its unified lighting/shadowing system. Say
what you will about the gameplay, but the graphics engine was
instrumental in providing the atmosphere of the game, which counted for
a lot IMHO.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
July 2, 2005 3:28:16 PM

"GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> Strider wrote:
>> Lief proclaimed...
>>

>>> Graphics are usually the last thing I care about, not un-important
>>> (they have to function etc), but gameplay > all.
>>

>> /me nods in agreement
>>
> Debatable. I really like the immersiveness of Doom 3, particularly due
> to the graphics engine with its unified lighting/shadowing system. Say
> what you will about the gameplay, but the graphics engine was
> instrumental in providing the atmosphere of the game, which counted
> for a lot IMHO.

I feel the same. The total fantastic ambiance of visual and audio with
excellent controls can sure be put out by something about the gameplay
itself which keeps your mind 'out' of the game, thinking on it rather
than IN it :)
I'm not going to call that 'poor' or 'bad' gameplay. I'll say different
that what you might think it ought to be. Obviously, a lot of folks
feel that DeusEx is great in this aspect also. The thing that's making
Deus Ex playable to me is that none of this is tied to the physical game
itself, it's that AI conditions make you think differently about your
choices just so you will survive encounters. In Doom3 you have a
completely different game world and using stealth now and then is useful
but hardly necessary. Pretty much the same for HL2 and HL. But in
DeusEx, I find myself taking my time, checking everything out, looking
at everything in sight before making that "committed" move :)  It will
take a lot longer to play this game, but it was meant to. All the op's
were right, DE:IW doesn't really compare to DE. DE is in a league by
itself.
Doom3 is also in a league by itself, for now (till Quake4!). The
gameplay is good, the action is harsh and tense. The ambiance, to me,
is brilliant.
DeusEx could still be the same game, just even more enjoyable with
current graphics.
McG.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
July 2, 2005 3:28:17 PM

> The thing that's making Deus Ex playable to me is that none of this is
> tied to the physical game itself, it's that AI conditions make you think
> differently about your choices just so you will survive > encounters.

> ....in DeusEx, I find myself taking my time, checking everything out,
> looking at everything in sight before making that "committed" move :)  It
> will take a lot longer to play this game, but it was meant to. All the
> op's were right, DE:IW doesn't really compare to DE. DE is in a league
> by itself.

Glad you're finally able to enjoy it after all these years. It's a shame
the game presents itself early on as being so dang difficult. Not that's
it's NOT difficult - it is, and it requires a different approach. But it's
apparent from the recent posts here that it turned a lot of people off, and
they missed out on a great experince. It takes an adjustment for the
typical FPS player like myself, but the payoff is worth it.

I hope more will give it a second look, or even a first. It definately
takes a while to finish, expecially if you do a lot of exploring, and you
will, either out of curiousity or to find more of the ammo you need (sniper
shells, HE rounds, etc.) to get you past a certain obstacle. As I recall,
there's at least two months of my life, with a few hours almost every night,
sweated into that world. And that was just the first play through.

Bob

Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
July 2, 2005 8:41:37 PM

>> The thing that's making Deus Ex playable to me is that none of this
>> is tied to the physical game itself, it's that AI conditions make
>> you think differently about your choices just so you will survive >
>> encounters.
>
>> ....in DeusEx, I find myself taking my time, checking everything out,
>> looking at everything in sight before making that "committed" move
>> :)  It will take a lot longer to play this game, but it was meant
>> to. All the op's were right, DE:IW doesn't really compare to DE. DE
>> is in a league by itself.
>
> Glad you're finally able to enjoy it after all these years. It's a
> shame the game presents itself early on as being so dang difficult.
> Not that's it's NOT difficult - it is, and it requires a different
> approach. But it's apparent from the recent posts here that it
> turned a lot of people off, and they missed out on a great experince.
> It takes an adjustment for the typical FPS player like myself, but
> the payoff is worth it.
> I hope more will give it a second look, or even a first. It
> definately takes a while to finish, expecially if you do a lot of
> exploring, and you will, either out of curiousity or to find more of
> the ammo you need (sniper shells, HE rounds, etc.) to get you past a
> certain obstacle. As I recall, there's at least two months of my
> life, with a few hours almost every night, sweated into that world.
> And that was just the first play through.
>
> Bob

I like exploring everything. That is the main attraction for games like
the Tombraider series! I don't know how I managed to miss "New Game"!
:-\
McG.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
July 2, 2005 10:45:54 PM

"rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net> wrote in message

>> The thing that's making Deus Ex playable to me is that none of this is
>> tied to the physical game itself, it's that AI conditions make you think
>> differently about your choices just so you will survive > encounters.
>
>> ....in DeusEx, I find myself taking my time, checking everything out,
>> looking at everything in sight before making that "committed" move :)
>> It will take a lot longer to play this game, but it was meant to. All
>> the op's were right, DE:IW doesn't really compare to DE. DE is in a
>> league by itself.
>
> Glad you're finally able to enjoy it after all these years. It's a
> shame the game presents itself early on as being so dang difficult. Not
> that's it's NOT difficult - it is, and it requires a different approach.
> But it's apparent from the recent posts here that it turned a lot of
> people off, and they missed out on a great experince. It takes an
> adjustment for the typical FPS player like myself, but the payoff is worth
> it.
>
> I hope more will give it a second look, or even a first. It definately
> takes a while to finish, expecially if you do a lot of exploring, and you
> will, either out of curiousity or to find more of the ammo you need
> (sniper shells, HE rounds, etc.) to get you past a certain obstacle. As
> I recall, there's at least two months of my life, with a few hours almost
> every night, sweated into that world. And that was just the first play
> through.
>

> Bob
The best description I heard of DE is that is was "the thinking man's FPS."

I still discover something new in every replay.

Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
July 4, 2005 9:58:19 PM

"James A. Cooley" <jacooley@centralpets.com> wrote in message
> Just finished Far Cry and wanted to go back to some classic gaming.
> Reinstalled Deus Ex and am now remembering how to play.
>
> Next may have to go dig up a copy of Half-Life and take another stroll
> though Black Mesa.
>
> Aside from the graphics, these games still ROCK!
>
> How I wish gaming companies would get serious about graphics makeovers for
> their classic titles. The gameplay, story-line, and everything else is
> still great on these titles -- they just need to look better.
>

> --
> _________________________________
> James A. Cooley
> Eschew obfuscation!

Thanks to the post that Maximus22 made on 6-15-05 I dug out my copy of DE
and started playing it for the first time. I finished it last night. That's
17 days using almost 100% of my free time. Now that's what I call a game!
The game was totally engrossing to me and the graphics were no problem.
There is something to be said for playing an older game on a newer computer.
If I had played it when I first got it on the PC that I had at the time, I
could have managed only about 50% on most settings. Now I can play it wide
open. During my entire playing time I only had 1 game related crash. That's
got to be a record for me.

Thanks for all the posts relating to DE. I wonder if I have other treasures
laying around waiting to be discovered.

Mox
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
July 4, 2005 9:58:20 PM

"Mox 13" <nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> "James A. Cooley" <jacooley@centralpets.com> wrote in message
>> Just finished Far Cry and wanted to go back to some classic gaming.
>> Reinstalled Deus Ex and am now remembering how to play.
>>
>> Next may have to go dig up a copy of Half-Life and take another stroll
>> though Black Mesa.
>>
>> Aside from the graphics, these games still ROCK!
>>
>> How I wish gaming companies would get serious about graphics makeovers
>> for their classic titles. The gameplay, story-line, and everything else
>> is still great on these titles -- they just need to look better.
>>

>> --
>> _________________________________
>> James A. Cooley
>> Eschew obfuscation!
>
> Thanks to the post that Maximus22 made on 6-15-05 I dug out my copy of DE
> and started playing it for the first time. I finished it last night.
> That's 17 days using almost 100% of my free time. Now that's what I call a
> game! The game was totally engrossing to me and the graphics were no
> problem. There is something to be said for playing an older game on a
> newer computer. If I had played it when I first got it on the PC that I
> had at the time, I could have managed only about 50% on most settings. Now
> I can play it wide open. During my entire playing time I only had 1 game
> related crash. That's got to be a record for me.
>
> Thanks for all the posts relating to DE. I wonder if I have other
> treasures laying around waiting to be discovered.
>
> Mox

17 days! That's pretty damn quick. Even using all your free time
(unless you are unemployed , out of school, etc). If neither of those are
the case, I'l bet you could play through it again using one of the alternate
approches to completing each level and have a whole new experience. There's
a lot to explore in there, and many different ways to do it. It will also
give you a chance to sample one of the other endings, in case you didn't do
that the first time through.

Bob
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
July 5, 2005 1:45:15 AM

snip
>>> James A. Cooley
>>> Eschew obfuscation!
>>
>> Thanks to the post that Maximus22 made on 6-15-05 I dug out my copy of DE
>> and started playing it for the first time. I finished it last night.
>> That's 17 days using almost 100% of my free time. Now that's what I call
>> a game! The game was totally engrossing to me and the graphics were no
>> problem. There is something to be said for playing an older game on a
>> newer computer. If I had played it when I first got it on the PC that I
>> had at the time, I could have managed only about 50% on most settings.
>> Now I can play it wide open. During my entire playing time I only had 1
>> game related crash. That's got to be a record for me.
>>
>> Thanks for all the posts relating to DE. I wonder if I have other
>> treasures laying around waiting to be discovered.
>>
>> Mox
>>

> 17 days! That's pretty damn quick. Even using all your free time
> (unless you are unemployed , out of school, etc). If neither of those are
> the case, I'l bet you could play through it again using one of the
> alternate approches to completing each level and have a whole new
> experience. There's a lot to explore in there, and many different ways to
> do it. It will also give you a chance to sample one of the other endings,
> in case you didn't do that the first time through.
>

> Bob

Well I am employed, but when I am really into a game I can manage about 6-8
hours of play a day, plus weekends. I have a very understanding Wife who
spends a lot of time on the other PC.

I have started a new game to try other strategies and tinker with the Augs.
and skills.

I did do a Save near the end that allowed me to try out the three endings
that were offered to me. I thought those end choices pretty odd. Personally
I would not be happy with any of them. <s>

Mox
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
July 5, 2005 1:52:21 AM

"Mox 13" <nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> "James A. Cooley" <jacooley@centralpets.com> wrote in message
>> Just finished Far Cry and wanted to go back to some classic gaming.
>> Reinstalled Deus Ex and am now remembering how to play.
>>
>> Next may have to go dig up a copy of Half-Life and take another stroll
>> though Black Mesa.
>>
>> Aside from the graphics, these games still ROCK!
>>
>> How I wish gaming companies would get serious about graphics makeovers
>> for their classic titles. The gameplay, story-line, and everything else
>> is still great on these titles -- they just need to look better.
>>

>> --
>> _________________________________
>> James A. Cooley
>> Eschew obfuscation!
>
> Thanks to the post that Maximus22 made on 6-15-05 I dug out my copy of DE
> and started playing it for the first time. I finished it last night.
> That's 17 days using almost 100% of my free time. Now that's what I call a
> game! The game was totally engrossing to me and the graphics were no
> problem. There is something to be said for playing an older game on a
> newer computer. If I had played it when I first got it on the PC that I
> had at the time, I could have managed only about 50% on most settings. Now
> I can play it wide open. During my entire playing time I only had 1 game
> related crash. That's got to be a record for me.
>
> Thanks for all the posts relating to DE. I wonder if I have other
> treasures laying around waiting to be discovered.
>
> Mox

It would really take very little to "clean up" the graphics. Higher poly
models would help a lot and smoother facial animations during dialog. It
would be nice to let JC have ears, for example!

Basically do for Deus Ex what was done with the high-res pack for Half-Life
from Valve. There was also that mod for System Shock II that upgraded the
graphics of the creatures.

The game would benefit from just little graphics touch-up. Subtle stuff to
add some of the details that couldn't be done in the original. That said,
thought, the game still is enthralling. Moody, dark, challenging as can be,
and rewarding your brain mor than your reflexes. Run and gun gets you killed
here.

For a real challenge, try playing it on realistic without saved games
(except as a crash protection). You die, you start over. I am trying that
now just to see how far I can make it. Got to the airfield late last night,
then got careless and bot popped me.

You really play differently when you don't reload after dying. Stealth,
hacking, and top sniper skills become the key to survival.

I am also pleased at how stable overall the game has been. I have had only
one crash since reloading it in several nights of gameplay.

Another lost gem out there is Anachronox from Ion Storm. Also has dated
graphics, but makes up for it with a tremendous sci-fi story-line, humor,
fun gameplay, and a cult following among its devotees.

The only problem with it is that it is a bit buggy buggy and you have to
hunt down all the patches. Fans of the game took it upon themselves to
correct some of the game's issues after Ion Storm ceased to exist.

I think about reloading it every now and then.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
July 6, 2005 4:17:28 AM

In article <%Meye.3648$8f7.758@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>, Mox
13 <nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Thanks for all the posts relating to DE. I wonder if I have other treasures
> laying around waiting to be discovered.

Good thought. Try under that newspaper over there.. isn't that a copy
of Mafia I can see? And look - Jedi Knight next to it!

___
Neil
aka HighVis
!